Being an AFC is pre-determined?

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../20050326/hl_hsn/fingerspointtomaleaggression

FRIDAY, March 25 (HealthDay News) -- Canadian researchers say they've found a way to help 'finger' men with physically aggressive personalities

A University of Alberta study finds that measuring a man's index finger length relative to his ring finger length predicts his predisposition to being physically aggressive.

The shorter the index finger relative to the ring finger, the higher the amount of prenatal testosterone and the more likely the man will be physically aggressive, they researchers say.

In a prepared statement, study co-author Dr. Peter Hurd admitted he initially thought the finger-aggression link was "a pile of hooey," until he reviewed the data.

According to the researchers, experts have known for a hundred years that the index-to-ring finger length ratio of men differs considerably from that seen in women. And more recently, research has suggested that the length of men's fingers changes depending on their exposure to testosterone in the womb.

Now, finger length and physical aggression seem to be linked as well, at least in men. The Alberta team found no such link in women.

"More than anything, I think the findings reinforce and underlie that a large part of our personalities and our traits are determined while we're still in the womb," Hurd said.

The study, reported in the March issue of Biological Psychology, found no correlation between finger lengths and non-physical forms of aggression, such as verbal aggression or angry or hostile behavior. Hurd said he is continuing his research on physical aggression, however, by comparing hockey players' finger lengths to the number of penalty minutes they rack up in a given season.

In another study, to be published later this year, Hurd found that men with more "feminine" finger ratios tended to be more prone to depression.

He stressed that "finger lengths explain about 5 percent of the variation in these personality measures, so research like this won't allow you to draw conclusions about specific people. For example, you wouldn't want to screen people for certain jobs based on their finger lengths."

"But finger length can tell you a little bit about where personality comes from, and that's what we are continuing to explore," he said.
Intresting I wonder if its valid any members can a test to that?

rgeere

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it has validity, but when you take the time to think about it they are simply just stating the obvious. As long as you look like a man I don't see how the size of a finger should determine how manly you are when that isn't really what makes you a man totally.

Mr. Delicious

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For me it doesnt work at all. I am one of the least aggressive people you will meet and my ring finger is significantly longer than my index finger :confused:

7 Virtues

Don Juan
Reaction score
So Mr. Delicious, do you think that your situation is nature or nurture?

My ring finger is longer than my index, but not significantly so. I'm not needlessly aggressive.

rgeere

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Testosterone has more to do with both nature and nurture.

Acts of submission decrease testosterone production whereas acts of agression increase testosterone production.

The size of any part of your hand only shows that you were born male, to just assume that every man has the same level of agression and testosterone is just poposterous.

Last edited:

monotone

Reaction score
my ring finger is about 1/8" longer than my index finger, i am a extremely spiteful, have an very short temper and thoroughly enjoy smacking people around when it goes. being self-righteous probably doesnt have much to do with test though..

i am also prone to being a complete ******* without really meaning to.

this is pretty interesting. isnt there some kind of chinese medicine chart that shows which body parts relate to certain personality traits?