Backpacking Europe

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Since there aren't any current threads about backpacking, I thought I'd start a new one because I'm planning on doing it and it is the time of year for it. I just graduated college and I have some money left over so I thought I'd see Europe while I have no real adult responsibilities to stop me. I thought it'd help me in so many ways, especially the DJing aspect of me.

1. Where do I begin? Right now I'm writing down the countries and their respective attractions I want to see and I'm reading Europe for Dummies (and another book about Europe on a Shoestring is coming too). Soon I'll write out a preliminary budget and itinerary with estimated costs. Once the plan tickets are purchased, I will have already crossed the Rubicon (which I hope to see in Italy).

2. I cannot find anyone to go with. All my friends either have "real jobs" now or they don't have enough money. Is it too dangerous to do this by myself? I don't want to find an ******* stewn onto my mouth with a mouth on my ******* or anything. What dangers should I look out for?

3. My mom has fibromyalgia and anything I say can set off her symptoms. She'll probably say no. Am I a horrible son for risking, or should I just be a man and tell her to shut-up about it? But really, how do I tactfully tell her?

4. My bare-bones plan now is to go fly from the east coast of the US to London, see London, Stonehenge, then go to Scotland, to Oslo, Norway by plane, then take another plan to Berlin. From Berlin using a Europass, I want to see Amsterdam, maybe Belgium, not sure, then go to Paris, then see Northern Italy, definitely do Rome and the Vatican, and then maybe Ostia and Pompeii/Hercellaneum. I want to do this in 5 weeks. I have about $8,000. I don't mind hostels, trains, and literally living off of baked potatoes in microwaves. I survived Boy Scout camping, a hostel, and the gross of college.

5. How much do Europeans dislike Americans? I've heard I should lie and say I'm Canadian. I'm a bad liar and I don't want to make a dishonest impression. For instance, do the French hate us as much as I've heard, or do they hate everyone? I'm most concerned about Paris, I'm least anxious about northern Europe for some reason.

6. Anything else I should know?

Most everyone but my mom is saying I should do this, but its such a big thing, I don't even know how begin. When I do this I want to share my experiences with you all to help encourage you all to do it too.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maeisgood said:
Since there aren't any current threads about backpacking, I thought I'd start a new one because I'm planning on doing it and it is the time of year for it. I just graduated college and I have some money left over so I thought I'd see Europe while I have no real adult responsibilities to stop me. I thought it'd help me in so many ways, especially the DJing aspect of me.

1. Where do I begin? Right now I'm writing down the countries and their respective attractions I want to see and I'm reading Europe for Dummies (and another book about Europe on a Shoestring is coming too). Soon I'll write out a preliminary budget and itinerary with estimated costs. Once the plan tickets are purchased, I will have already crossed the Rubicon (which I hope to see in Italy).

2. I cannot find anyone to go with. All my friends either have "real jobs" now or they don't have enough money. Is it too dangerous to do this by myself? I don't want to find an ******* stewn onto my mouth with a mouth on my ******* or anything. What dangers should I look out for?

3. My mom has fibromyalgia and anything I say can set off her symptoms. She'll probably say no. Am I a horrible son for risking, or should I just be a man and tell her to shut-up about it? But really, how do I tactfully tell her?

4. My bare-bones plan now is to go fly from the east coast of the US to London, see London, Stonehenge, then go to Scotland, to Oslo, Norway by plane, then take another plan to Berlin. From Berlin using a Europass, I want to see Amsterdam, maybe Belgium, not sure, then go to Paris, then see Northern Italy, definitely do Rome and the Vatican, and then maybe Ostia and Pompeii/Hercellaneum. I want to do this in 5 weeks. I have about $8,000. I don't mind hostels, trains, and literally living off of baked potatoes in microwaves. I survived Boy Scout camping, a hostel, and the gross of college.

5. How much do Europeans dislike Americans? I've heard I should lie and say I'm Canadian. I'm a bad liar and I don't want to make a dishonest impression. For instance, do the French hate us as much as I've heard, or do they hate everyone? I'm most concerned about Paris, I'm least anxious about northern Europe for some reason.

6. Anything else I should know?

Most everyone but my mom is saying I should do this, but its such a big thing, I don't even know how begin. When I do this I want to share my experiences with you all to help encourage you all to do it too.
Howdy Mae, I've backpacked Europe several times, loved every minute of it!

1) England/Ireland, ect. is a good start your first time overseas. English speaking countries tend to help adjust to the culture shock and make traveling, and problem solving, easier because of less of a language barrier. I'll warn you though, trying to understand a drunk Irishman can be a challenge in itself.

2) Go alone. You will meet more people in that trip, than you have your entire life anyways. Going alone gives you the option to be flexible, and adjust your travel plans, say you meet a hot French gal and decide to go visit her a little out of your way. :) Don't worry, you won't be alone on your trip. Gets you out of the comfort zone, and meet some great folks.

3) Mom can be a tough one, what I did was reassure her I'd call every other day or so...and I did, just to let her know I was fine. Tell her your excitement about this adventure, and play it up on how great it will be (it will). Set up a time to call her while you are away.

4) Most of your plans are in Western Europe, where prices are higher. You could add a little east to it as well, Prague? Your money will stretch farther. 8K will definitely last 5 weeks though, where every you decide to go. You could go for 3 months on that, if you wanted to.

5) I don't think Europeans necessarily dislike Americans. Simple respect will get you a long way there, try at least speaking common phrases in the local language. People may dislike what our country does...but they won't hold that against you (from my experience). Don't worry much on that one.

6) 5 weeks is good...8 weeks better. :) Every trip I took I wanted to just keep going...I'd recommend, if I were you, to extend your trip as much as you can afford the time (not money). Once you get the traveling bug, you'll be hooked. Stay in hostels, meet a lot of people, have an adventure you'll remember. Also, explore Eastern Europe if you can, it's a blast.

Captain Nemo

Reaction score
First, my best wishes to you on this impending adventure. Some random, offhand thoughts:

1. Keep your passport and some additional money in a belly band holster, or some type of money belt. Use a wallet without any ID, put some cash in there along with old receipts and maybe some out of date credit cards. If your wallet is lifted you'll still have your passport, cash, and emergency info list.

2. Keep a laminated list of the US Embassy locations and phone numbers with your passport.

3. Make sure you are in good physical condition for the trip. Work on your endurance training now if you aren't already.

4. Get some further info from Rick Steves' "Europe Though the Back Door" series. It's aimed at the budget and more adventurous European traveller.

5. If you want to extend your trip then look into working or volunteering while you're there. There are various websites out there that can direct you to temp jobs and relief organizations who are looking for people, especially in Eastern Europe.

6. Go alone. I wholeheartedly second the reasons given by the above poster.

7. Take more pictures than you think you'll need.

8. Go from North to South or South to North (it looks like you're planning on doing that anyway.

9. An alternative route: aircraft from Chicago or NYC to Oslo - aircraft from Oslo to Glasgow - train from Glasgow to London - Ferry from England to France/Belgium - train from coast to Amsterdam - train from Amsterdam to Paris - train from Paris to Berlin - train from Berlin to Zurich - train from Zurich to Rome - Aircraft from Rome to NYC.

10. Go, even if your mom tells you no. A parents job is to prepare you for the real world, not to act as their pet or emotional partner. Don't let her guilt trip or otherwise manipulate you into heeling. Go, forget about her and the US and have the time of your life.

11. Pack light and improvise.

12. Spend more time sightseeing than worrying about women. Women will always be around, but this may be your only time in Europe.

Keep us informed and Good Luck.

CN

elite7

Don Juan
Reaction score
checkout couchsurfing.com tim ferriss blog and have a budget

BigJimbo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Captain Nemo said:
First, my best wishes to you on this impending adventure. Some random, offhand thoughts:

1. Keep your passport and some additional money in a belly band holster, or some type of money belt. Use a wallet without any ID, put some cash in there along with old receipts and maybe some out of date credit cards. If your wallet is lifted you'll still have your passport, cash, and emergency info list.

2. Keep a laminated list of the US Embassy locations and phone numbers with your passport.

3. Make sure you are in good physical condition for the trip. Work on your endurance training now if you aren't already.

4. Get some further info from Rick Steves' "Europe Though the Back Door" series. It's aimed at the budget and more adventurous European traveller.

5. If you want to extend your trip then look into working or volunteering while you're there. There are various websites out there that can direct you to temp jobs and relief organizations who are looking for people, especially in Eastern Europe.

6. Go alone. I wholeheartedly second the reasons given by the above poster.

7. Take more pictures than you think you'll need.

8. Go from North to South or South to North (it looks like you're planning on doing that anyway.

9. An alternative route: aircraft from Chicago or NYC to Oslo - aircraft from Oslo to Glasgow - train from Glasgow to London - Ferry from England to France/Belgium - train from coast to Amsterdam - train from Amsterdam to Paris - train from Paris to Berlin - train from Berlin to Zurich - train from Zurich to Rome - Aircraft from Rome to NYC.

10. Go, even if your mom tells you no. A parents job is to prepare you for the real world, not to act as their pet or emotional partner. Don't let her guilt trip or otherwise manipulate you into heeling. Go, forget about her and the US and have the time of your life.

11. Pack light and improvise.

12. Spend more time sightseeing than worrying about women. Women will always be around, but this may be your only time in Europe.

Keep us informed and Good Luck.

CN
This is just horrible advice. Obviously you have never traveled alone. All that flying and traveling by train sounds great when you are stuck in Middle America, but actually doing it is a WHOLE different thing. You would kill yourself doing that alone. Nothing EVER works as smoothly as you think.

Eastern Europe relief organizations? Uh, again...You have never been. Sounds good on paper, but in actuality the only American guys you see in most of Eastern Europe are black dudes playing basketball, Mormon Missionaries, and me.

See, this all sounds fine and dandy when you don't have to put it into action. Putting it into action is a whole different thing.

MY SUGGESTION: Save your money. Live with your mother. Study a language. Let her see that you really are into it. Then go to that country and that country alone. Get a nice place to stay. Be more than just some dirty backpacker.

Tortendieb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't worry man.

Europeans (and pretty much the rest of the world too) think you're self-obsessed ignorant warmongering gunslinging rednecks who fry whole turkeys in a steel can.

If you're just coming get drunk and be an as-shole then yeah, people will be annoyed. But since you come to see the country and are interested in people, everybody will love you :)

Just don't:
1. Talk about WW2, because you'll be embarrassed at how one-sided your knowledge of European theater is
2. Talk about how you support "our boys in Afghanistan", for obvious reasons. (if it's not obvious to you better not go :D)

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

What is the best way to find cheap flights? Travelocity, Cheapflights, expedia?

Captain Nemo

Reaction score
BigJimbo said:
This is just horrible advice. Obviously you have never traveled alone.
Yes, I have travelled alone through Europe and Asian using much the same M.O. If you plan carefully and have the proper attitude it can be done and HAS been done by many, many people.

BigJimbo said:
Eastern Europe relief organizations? Uh, again...You have never been.
Don't presume to tell me what I have and haven't done. Your experiences and mine are very different. What you shy away from I have done, and what you have done I may reject. Simply because YOU don't like something doesn't mean it can't be done or is not a proper course of action for other people.

Instead of trolling my advice from your cozy little Middle American nook in mommy's basement why didn't you simply deign to grace the OP with the benefit of you oh so titanic intellect and incalcuably vast experience and let him separate what will work for him and what won't?

But I suppose that won't do because you're obviously so far ahead of us mere mortals that anything we have to share would be utterly pithy compared to your most holy and exhalted eminence.

Maeisgood, my apologies for the thread hijack here but "big"jimbo couldn't resist waving his **** around. Remember, this is the internet where everyone is a Recon/Scout/Seal-Sniper/Israeli Commando.

I hope that you have found some ideas and advice that appeal to you.

Good luck and travel as much as you can.

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha its okay, I like seeing responses to responses, it helps me figure out what's going on. When I make threads I'm always concerned that it won't get responses.

Here's an update: my dad is mad at me for wanting to do this and is trying to get me to change my mind. He is trying to manipulate me with guilt and by appeal-to-ego or my "better self" by saying things to the effect of, "I know you're a better person than to want to make your mom worry like that." He's suggesting I go to somewhere else in America. I'm not that interested in America because I feel like I could always go to California for a week or something, but Europe for this long, never again. I've seen all the east coast almost basically, and Chicago, but from what I've seen, in America everywhere has the same McDonald'ses, the same strip mall set ups, (like that town Jefferton in Tom Goes to the Mayor on Adult Swim). and its pretty boring. I'm out of college now and I've worked my ass off trying to get out and I feel like I have the money to do this and I deserve to do it. I feel like my parents are trying to keep me as a "baby" of the family and keep me weak. I feel like I've been more of a dreamer and fearful, but now that I'm finally facing something big and scary, they're just holding me back. Europe actually safer than America, less violent crime, less people in prison, more security cameras, etc. There's much worse I could have done, get a girl pregnant, get a tattoo, cocaine, drop out of school, etc. Its so hard to stand up to one's own parents.

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Instead of fighting with my dad, I'm going to write him a long paper about my intentions, first draft of itinerary and budget, plans to get a job when I get back, etc.

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My parents have given me the go-ahead to go to Europe, I will buy my tickets soon. First, I have to finish moving out of my apartment at college and possibly break up with my girlfriend, but she's a whole other issue...

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In three months I will be on summer vacation to Germany and the Czech Republic. It's my first trip over the big pond!

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What types of places are you staying in? What are you packing? I have little idea of what to do!

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in europe now. Ive been here for 2 weeks. Most people are helpful and there is a culture shock but most everyone knows English. It is lonely for the most part but I met some cool people, mainly dudes though...

I did end up breaking up with my girlfriend. I considered renting a hooker in Amsterdam but I decided against it. People would ask about it jokingly but I'm a bad liar and I don't want a gross reputation, even though I think the only difference between a prostitute and a "regular" women is that the hooker is at least honest about her intensions. I know a guy who went to one here and he got a mysterious rash...

What are some good ways to strike up conversations with chicks who don't speak English as their first language? It's awkward enough meeting chicks in America, but even more so in another country in a loud club. I talked to some girls at a club in Berlin but the dudes I met at the hostel wanted to go and it was late and I had an early train to catch the next day. Next time I'll go alone.

Would being an American make me sexy to a foreign girl, the way foreign accents can be appealing to us, or can being an American backfire? I know we aren't as popular in the world as we used to be...

Going to Europe can help me with girls here because traveling can make someone interesting.

Ease

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Forget UK and Ireland, London is the only thing worth seeing here. Going to scotland would be a terrible waste of money. Stonehenge is a terrible idea.

East europe is the place to go, stick to big cities.