avoiding burning muscle during cardio?

madhatter

Reaction score
how do you guys keep from burning muscle mass when you are also endurance training to build a nice six pack? i've been getting crazy times and gaining a ton of endurance, but my lifting is suffering. i'm lifting about 25% less on most workouts. any suggestions?

wildchild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It could be your doing too much cardio before lifting. You wont actaully burn muscle mass while do cardio unless you have no carbs or no fat to burn. I would suggest only doing a little cardio as a warm up before you lift and leave your full cardio workout for another day.

Ironager

Don Juan
Reaction score
Have a protein shake and a piece of fruit 45 minutes before your cardio session..

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You could try L glutamine. It is meant to keep muscle levels up when dieting or doing cardio. I've been using it since I started cutting and have experienced no noticeable muscle loss, though I can't guarantee that the L glutamine is responsible for that. However, you should always keep your protein levels up.

Losing strength while cutting is natural, but I wouldn't worry about it as you can't make any gains while cutting, so as long as the lifting is taxing your muscles you're doing enough for maintenance.

7 Virtues

Don Juan
Reaction score
A better choice would be a thermogenic supplement.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look at it from another angle. 20mins intensity training/ intervals will not break down muscle, infact I heard it can boost GH levels.

If you are only doing endurance training to lose body fat, maybe drop them and just do intervals instead.

Jippii

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah intervals are more effective.

Just for fun, compare the bodies of endurance runners and sprinters like Maurice Green. Which kind of body do you want?

wildchild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
another good thing to boost GH levels is arginine or GABA.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HIIT is the answer to all of your questions.

BootsOfEscaping

Don Juan
Reaction score
No HIIT is not the answer. If you dont want to burn muscle DO NOT jog or run. Do 45-60 minutes of moderate cardio 7 days a week. I do the treadmill at a 11 degree incline at about 3.5 mph. When you are at the gym take a look at the people hauling ass on the treadmill, do they look big and ripped? Didn't think so. Now look at the actual bodybuilders, what are they doing? Usually riding the bike slow for a long time or doing slow treadmill. I wasted a long time with HIIT before doing what I suggested above and I have dropped bodyfat and my arms have grown 2" so I am gaining muscle as well. I am currently cutting yet still gaining muscle.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do your cardio on an empty stomach (just after you get up of a morning). Get up 30 minutes early before work or school if you have too.

Your body will dip straight into your fat content to get the sugar it needs for the cardio. (or something to that effect). This is recommended by many great books and training reigemes throughout the world. And from my vast experience of observation, works very very well.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's what I like about this site, ask a question and you'll have a choice of answers that totally leave you no better off.