Any Web Designers Here?

John_Taylor

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm looking into building an online social networking type business. The idea isn't even close to this, but to give you a reference, something like www.facebook.com or www.uspot.com. What kind of programming languages or knowlege would be needed?

Thanks

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a web designer.

Something like facebook (never seen uspot) requires a server scripting language and a database. The norm is either PHP (ssl) and MySQL (db), / ASP (ssl) and...*crap...theres' a bunch of databases..*.., Perl (ssl), Javascript (ssl), crafty scripts writting to a file (db), etc...

Knowledge...you need to know how to program loops, and create, call and input variables into functions. Also, you need to know the stuff to talk to the database, creating, deleting, moving, changing entries, stuff like that.

Ie: Not a project for a newbie.

I may be able to help you, PM me.

cryptkeeper

Don Juan
Reaction score
LAMP. Linux apache mysql and php.

unless your running something enterprise sized.

It's defiantly not something for a newbie, no :p

you can, however get some script off hotscripts or something and run it.

cryptkeeper

Don Juan
Reaction score
Normally a decent host should have all that stuff already running ;)

it IS easier/faster to use localhost for debugging purposes :p

I've started to use my forums and my clients forums as a social networking site, sort of like a myspace for cars.

and doc, you in canada? :p Quebec here!

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
I'm Kingston, not that far! (out of town ATM though)

-Ohh, of course a decent host should have it all running....
-I love it when php scripts stall out on a host server when I forget to test locally, lol

cryptkeeper

Don Juan
Reaction score
I coded my first website when i was 11. back in the days of archie, gopher etc. It was a text-only site. I got into it a bit more when windows95 and netscape 1 came out (my dad paid 1000$ for a netscape developers build, came on a 1.44 floppy) Used to run an ISP in montreal and ohio, then lost all interest to things like beer and cigarettes (15-16ish) and started coding again when i was 21-22. I'm 28 now, and not a day goes by that i don't regret sticking to it. I could have made so much money.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LAMP is the way to go. The latest incarnation of PHP also has SQL-lite built into it, right? Does this remove the need for a MySQL entirely? I used to be a huge PHP nut but I've since been a JSP/Postgres kinda guy.. lol.

Morphiex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hehe seen the money myspace and youtube and stuff like that makes and gotten interested have we?

well if your doing it for the money , i would suggest a new idea , cuz makign the same kind og cumminity chat boards like myspace and such now is a waste of time and effort by the new year there will be atleast 10 new youtube copycat sites and 100 myspace sites trying to achieve what they have done, and they will fail misserably.....

but if your just doing it for another reason , then nvm..... =P

Panda 2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If I did it, I'd use LAMP, because it's tested and proven for such things. MySQL is fast, that's the main thing of MySQL. I'd suggest using MySQL5 because it supports referential integrity. You'd certainly need a lot of knowledge, such a thing is not for a newbie, you'd need to know a lot about PHP, AJAX/JavaScript, MySQL, relational database design, XHTML and webpage design in general, server security etc. Especially when there are so many sites competing now in that category, facebook, myspace, wallop, uspot, opera community, and countless others.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
I have a idea that'll slide into the category of MySpace, LiveJournal, Deviant (and Sheezy)Art and YouTube.

Unfortunely, those are million dollar blueprint plans and I can't say ;)

cryptkeeper

Don Juan
Reaction score
when youtube started up I wanted to create a video hosting site which was extremely similar, yet provided for webmasters. I did not have the capital to start it (I was under the assumption that I would easily need 10-15k to start it up, even though I would be doign a lot of designing and coding myself)

but then someone started it up exatly what I wanted, and it seemed like they stole some of my ideas hahaha :p (I know they didn't but its rediculous how much vidiac looks like the site i wanted to setup)

John_Taylor

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I know, it was just for a reference point so people know what I'm talking about.....lol
oour revenue model is completely different.......
Morphiex said:
there will be atleast 10 new youtube copycat sites and 100 myspace sites trying to achieve what they have done, and they will fail misserably.....

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's good to see that there are some web-designers on this board.

I need one! :) How much would you guys charge for design a professional looking real estate site?

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Centaurion said:
It's good to see that there are some web-designers on this board.

I need one! :) How much would you guys charge for design a professional looking real estate site?
I honestly don't know how much I'd charge!! :D (^_^)

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PM a suggestion if you are interested, cause I'm serious about this. I need to upgrade my real estate site and give it a more professional look.