Any readers out there??

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there into the world of reading? I know it may be frowned upon by other teenagers and such who would rather "watch tv".
Reading is the ultimate way to build up your mind and vocabulary.

With that said- here are my latest reads that I think some of you might find interesting.

Dan Brown- The DaVinvci Code- Amazing Book- the whole thing is just great.
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown is good as well but the endind is a little sketchy

Mark Twain- Huckleberry Finn- Excellent story about a young boy who runs away with his slave. Very funny

J.D. Salinger- The Catcher in The Rye- This is one of the funniest book I have ever read. Its about a boy in New York City who just expelled out of his 6th school living on his own in the city.

Ned Vizzini- Be More Cill- This is more of a high school students read. About a kid who takes a pill to become cool. Very good read.

Alice Sebold- The lovely Bones- About a girl who gets killed and watches her family and friends life from heaven. A touching story-really.

Joseph Heller- Catch 22- Great book about the war- may be a little hard to understand.

Anyways, these are the latest books I read.
If anyone else out there reads, By all means- Post your favorite books, im looking to buy some more!

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I read Da Vinci Code along with some others you mentioned, good stuff. My favorite book has to be LOTR collection though. I read the whole damn thing when i was 10, before all these movies and hype started.

i now definately dont read as much as i did when i was a kid although i know i should, but when i feel like reading something i just go on some p2p program, look up the titles on amazon.com, and if the reviews are good i dl it.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Catch-22 was confusing, to say the least. Angels & Demons was an excellent book, and was actually written before The Da Vinci Code if I'm not mistaken. I plan on finally checking out the hype and getting Brown's book from the library sometime this week/end.

You might want to check out these books:

Harry Harrison - The Stainless Steel Rat - (a series) about a mastermind criminal, set in the future

Peter Benchley - Q Clearance - tongue-in-cheek "espionage" novel, a must-read for anyone

R.M. Meluch - Warbirds - sci-fi, a first-person account of a fighter pilot being held as a POW

Frank Hebert - Dune - Everyone should be familiar with this one already...

Also, any book by Robert Ludlum or John Grisham is excellent.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I've read the entire Dune series (including those by brian herbert) 6-7 times. Same thing goes for the Wheel of Time series. I cant wait till book 11 is out.

I like to read, but unfortunatly I havnt had time to read lately. Too much goofing around.

A must read is :

Tolstoj - War and Peace. Just read it, and see how everything comes unglued because of a chick.

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, i just picked up Dune today and i cant wait to read it.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I liked Dune, also, and the 2nd one even better, if I recall correctly (been a little while since I read them).

A few faves of mine include:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Michael Pirsig. Great philosophy, and an interesting, rather heart-wrenching plot.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. Superb plot.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, by Douglas Adams (also his Hitchhiker's Guide ... series). Wise-assed humor.

Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins. Great philosophy, and quite amusing.

The Trial, by Franz Kafka. Will give you nightmares. All the more frightening because stuff like this really happens.

Again, Dangerous Visions, a collection of mostly sci-fi social commentary short stories edited by Harlan Ellison that is probably almost impossible to find, alas. Some excellent philosophy, and a few stories that are a rather quaint time capsule of what was considered "shocking" in the late 60s/early 70s.

I found The Catcher in the Rye rather boring, compared to the ups and downs of my own life. Perhaps I should write an autobiography.

A historian I know recently completed a book about the historical Jesus that blows just about all the current thoughts on the matter, including that of The DaVinci Code, straight out of the water. It's still top-secret until it's published. Even mentioning the title would give away the gist of it.

earthshyne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Neil Peart: Traveling Music
Bill Bryson: A Complete History of Everything
Marcus Borg: Reading the Bible for the First Time
Paul Theroux: Sunrises and Seamonsters

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't forget "rebecca" by Daphne du maurier.

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm reading alot of "classic' writing these days just to be more educated..... bonhomme, frank kafka is really twisted, i love that post modern stuff.....good choices

Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance" - This is my bible, i plan to memorize every passage in this essay. Easily my favorite writer despite the lack of organization

Herman Melville - "Barleby the Scribner" - A good Wall Street story

Henry David Thoreau- "Walden" - Very insightful, like Emerson but a little easier to read

Alexander Pope - "An Essay on Man"

Anything by George Orwell, I've only read 1984 and Animal Farm and they were both amazing. I'm gonna try and get some other stuff

John Handle - "A Heart's Beat" - Not really classic but a kind of distorted look at rural life, i recommend

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im a big dean koontz fan
gio is a big john grisham fan

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reading is very important. I'm a librarian, so if a woman tells me she doesn't read then I know she's not my type.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
No one reads these days it seems like.

Im currently reading American Psycho by brett easton ellis for the 3rd time. its a great book.

Engetsu

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the titles guys. I'm getting back to reading after a long absence of a couple of years (reading built my writing skills as a kid, then I neglected them by relying only on language courses in school as well as mandatory literature... that's going to change now).

Currently reading Tunnel by E. Sabato. Just to keep things in a SoSuave perspective, the protagonist has the mind of a DJ but not the actions. It's a very dark novel.

I found Catcher in the Rye great, because it is so easy to read, and keeps you hooked from beginning to end... It's not so much the "danger" of the guy's life, but the way he says it, and how almost everyone can identify to the way he thinks...

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
David Eddings' series', the Belgariad and the Malloreon, are awesome, and one of the characters in the series' even became part of my inspiration for wanting to become a real estate investor and businessman. Other than these books, I mostly read educational books related to investing.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Atlas Shrugged

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dean Koontz

There is an intense little Dean Koontz story in that Again, Dangerous Visions compilation. I've not followed his recent work.

Any particular recommendations, penkitten?

I tend to like twistedly funny and/or intensely philosophical stuff.

I also enjoyed Atlas Shrugged.

A rare book about ancient called The Worship of Augustus Caesar, by a brilliant late 19th/early 20th century historian has some very interesting "fun facts" about the evolution of religion, right through to Christianity.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chuck Palahniuk author of Fight Club has new book out called Haunted. I went to his last reading at one of my local library. For those of you with strong stomachs, I highly recommend this book.

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PRMoon
Chuck Palahniuk author of Fight Club has new book out called Haunted. I went to his last reading at one of my local library. For those of you with strong stomachs, I highly recommend this book.
Fight Club was great, I think I'm going to pick up haunted. Did you read the whole thing?

Diablo, that bookrossing thing is cool, I've read about it before.