any good websites that teach Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

johnny_depp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well for the past month I have been doing boxing training with myself, and I love it, its really fun, and also I have been doing kickboxing as well. But I want to lear how to do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu I have no idea on where to learn this. No where near my house do they teach this. So I was wondering if anyone here knows any good websites on where I can learn this from? please post something or tell me a website. thanks guys.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm kinda interested in this sh*t, too.

Slevin

Don Juan
Reaction score
johnny_depp said:
Well for the past month I have been doing boxing training with myself, and I love it, its really fun, and also I have been doing kickboxing as well. But I want to lear how to do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu I have no idea on where to learn this. No where near my house do they teach this. So I was wondering if anyone here knows any good websites on where I can learn this from? please post something or tell me a website. thanks guys.
You cannot learn martial arts from a website. Go to a proper school or don't bother.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I watched some training videos on it and I attented a few Jiu Jitsu classes and I was not impressed. Sure it might be useful in a ring, but in real life the stuff is sure to be quite useless.

For a start, real life attackers have teeth and if you stick your leg, arm or any other body part in their face, no referee is going to stop them biting a chunk out of you.

Secondly, in real life fights, there are no rules about gouging eyes, strangling etc

A lot of what they teach is also based on hypothetical situations, i.e. "If your attacker has you in this position, go to x position, then do y". Yet in every fight I've ever had and every time I've been attacked, I've never found myself in any of the demonstrated positions.

Generally, like most martial arts, the only thing they are good for overall is physical and mental conditioning, and you can't really learn that from a book, site or tape.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
Oh yeah, another problem with Jiu Jitsu is if there's more than one attacker. Then you're screwed! :)
The only way to defend yourself against multiple attackers is by using a gun.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
For a start, real life attackers have teeth and if you stick your leg, arm or any other body part in their face, no referee is going to stop them biting a chunk out of you.
Then you finish the submission.

Secondly, in real life fights, there are no rules about gouging eyes, strangling etc
There are lots of strangeholds in BJJ. In fact, I think that's one of the most valuable aspects of it, because the other guy passes out, you walk away, nobody gets seriously hurt, and you don't get sued/arrested afterwards.

I agree that some of the moves, like the De La Riva guard, are not good for "real" fights, but I think most of the moves are great for real self defense.

A lot of what they teach is also based on hypothetical situations, i.e. "If your attacker has you in this position, go to x position, then do y". Yet in every fight I've ever had and every time I've been attacked, I've never found myself in any of the demonstrated positions.
That's not how we train at my school, 75% of it is free-rolling, and sometimes we put on MMA gloves and include striking.

Anyway to the OP, you can't get good at BJJ by watching videos, you have to actually train, and it takes a looong time. I've been doing it for about 8 months and I'm only beginning to get any good at it.

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
Secondly, in real life fights, there are no rules about gouging eyes, strangling, etc.
Training in whatever martial art does not mean you have to follow the rules of that martial art training outside the classroom. Training is a foundation upon which you can be creative and add your own flavor. Don't be a jackass. You know this.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slevin said:
You cannot learn martial arts from a website. Go to a proper school or don't bother.
UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner taught himself grappling/submissions from instructional videos. :)

I watched some training videos on it and I attented a few Jiu Jitsu classes and I was not impressed. Sure it might be useful in a ring, but in real life the stuff is sure to be quite useless.

If you think the kind of training you get from a martial art like jiu-jitsu won't be really helpful in a real-life fight, you're so very mistaken. On the contrary real-life no-holds-barred fights often go to the ground, and you'll need to be really skilled at groundwork. Just because they don't teach you any street sh*t like eye gouging and biting doesn't mean you can't incorporate that when you need to. And unlike in a UFC fight, most likely your opponent himself won't also be really skilled at jiu-jitsu, so it probably wouldn't be a long, drawn-out fight.
Of course, MMA is the only way to go if you want all your bases covered. If you really want to learn how to fight, don't just learn striking, and don't just learn groundwork.

But yeah, also in real-life you gotta worry about fighting some p*ssy with six or seven of his homies across the room who've got his back and won't let the two settle sh*t on their own, so that is also an issue. But the more training you have, the better.

Slevin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Scrumtulescence said:
UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner taught himself grappling/submissions from instructional videos. :)
He was also an accomplished High School wrestler and texas state champ. I highly doubt the original poster can boast the same credentials.;)

Slevin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
A trained grappler will be in a better position to do all the "dirty stuff" then some chump off the street.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slevin said:
He was also an accomplished High School wrestler and texas state champ. I highly doubt the original poster can boast the same credentials.;)
Was that before or after he taught himself with instructional videos?

Slevin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Scrumtulescence said:
Was that before or after he taught himself with instructional videos?
Before.

KillaCam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For the best results, you have to go down the hands-on road and get take real classes.

Sure, you can learn from DVD's/Videos/Websites, but you're never getting the true experience and tutoring.