America first

usernamedox11

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, would you agree the fairness doctrine is good, considering the media is supposed to be considered the "4th branch" of government.

This is the fairness doctrine

The Fairness Doctrine was a policy of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, that required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was — in the Commission's view — honest, equitable, and balanced.
This is what I mean about government taking care of some of the shortcomings in the market. Ever since the fairness doctrine was done away with, the quality of tv news media and radio decreased substantially.

usernamedox11

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
not only radio, TV, too. believe me, studied this stuff in college in a US Media class. It wouldn't affect cable news on TV, but it could have been expanded if it wasn't killed off. It would have been tough to expand it to cable news because of the 1st amendment but it helped set a standard for others to follow.

Last edited:

usernamedox11

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I get your point of view. So, it's good, you support regulation where it makes sense. This is what I mean. The free market is good, but it has shortcomings where some honest regulation is good. The problem is our government is bought by the corporations, so a lot of the regulations in place are to help corporations maintain their monopolies and profit.