Am I strong enough for bodybuilding?

Bgarrido

Don Juan
Reaction score
What's up guys I'm 17 yrs old and I recently tested my one rep maxes on my prime movers my question is am I strong enough on the basics that I can start doing more bodybuilding type lifting bc right now I'm doing pure strength training. I weigh 170 lbs

Squat (back)- 325
Squat (Front)- 275
Deadlift- 345
Bench- 225
Rows (upright)-95

Cavedude

Don Juan
Reaction score
It honestly depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to put some mass on, I would say that would be a decent starting point.

What type of routine was it? 5/3/1? If you're going to transition to a bodybuilding type routine make sure your form is exceptional and that you are eating correctly for you to get the best gains.

Bgarrido

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was doing a 5x5 program for the past 3 months, I'm eating right and I'm well built but id like a little more size

ThreeStorms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Is this a serious question or are you just fishing for compliments?

don't

Don Juan
Reaction score
Arnold says what working on strength too early in life can ruin your tendons and bones. What's your rush, anyway? Muscles quit meaning much with the advent of reliable rapidfiring firearms.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you mean professional bodybuilding or you just want to start lifting with more focus on looks as opposed to strength?

Cavedude

Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe he could be fishing for compliments. Those are average stats for a person that consistently goes to the gym though. Bodybuilding routines are based around diet and form..and some would say "sports technology." lol. Since you say you're trying to put size on...my friend it is all diet. Consume at a caloric surplus.

Bgarrido

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been doing strength trainin for football the past 3 years but now that I'm done I'm not really familiar with body building kind of routines

Cavedude

Don Juan
Reaction score
Body building routines usually consist of a 3 or 4 day body part spit doing sets with reps of 8-12. The one mentioned my PairPlus is a decent one to start with. I'd recommend going to bodybuilding.com and doing research first.

The classic 4 day BBer split is something along the lines of days for chest/tris, legs/abs, back/bis, and shoulder/xx. XX being whichever you please. I follow this split and for my shoulder day I do weighted ab workouts, compared to my leg day i do bodyweight ab workouts.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bgarrido said:
I've been doing strength trainin for football the past 3 years but now that I'm done I'm not really familiar with body building kind of routines
If you been regularly lifting for strength for the past 3 years. I'd say you could go for bodybuilding. Though, your only 17? I bet if you kept up your strength training for another 2-3 years, by the time your 20 you could be up to 200lbs of solid mass. Then, you can start sculpting your mass to a more physique look. Adding shape, porportion, and symmetry.