Am I homophobic?

Pantera_man

Don Juan
Reaction score
HA!

You're worried about being homophobic? The fact that you asked that question says that you're not homophobic enough.

Seriously, treating homosexuality as something that isn't a perversion and actually encouraging gayness like society does is nothing but the result of mindless, unchecked liberalism.

Things are getting so bad, they'll be integrating NAMBLA with elementary schools soon enough!

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one's actively spreading homosexuality.

It's becoming more accepted in main stream culture (for better or worse).

But for something that's probably largely genetic, and generally abhorred by society (or at least you), trust me, no one's opting to "convert" to homosexuality.

There are bigger threats to the world, the US, and moral standards that I worry about.

sky

Don Juan
Reaction score
hmm..."homophobic".

You know, everytime I hear that word it reminds me of "player hater". A term made popular by Puffy in the '90s. Any person who said his music was corny, weak, or just plain bad was deemed a "player hater". Someone who just hated Puffy's music because he was jealous of Puffy's success. Level-headed disagreement about the quality of this man's art began to get dismissed immediately. It's that "either or" BS that hoodwinks a lot of people.

Either you like my music or you're a player hater.

Either you are for the war or you're un-American.

Either you are accepting of homosexual behavior or you're homophobic.

Either you like hamburgers or you like french fries.

What if I don't like either of them? What if I like turkey sandwiches?

This is a linguistic trick.

You ever see someone with a real phobia? Put them in the same vicinity with whatever triggers the phobia, and that person will be bouncing off the walls. You ever act like that around homosexuals? Of course, you don't. You're not homophobic. Almost no one is.

And it's not even close to being genetic. It's just that everyone has heard it said so often that they believe it.

My grandmother is a psychotherapist. In 1973, when the APA (American Psychological Association) removed homosexuality from it's list of sexual disorders, she and many of her colleagues were bewildered. They no longer had the ability to "treat or help" the homosexual. They had to pretend that it was perfectly healthy, even though they had knowledge that it was harmful to most of those suffering from it. From dealing with homosexuals, the field of psychotherapy began to notice a pattern. The majority of the patients grew up with an overbearing mother and/or a physically/emotionally distant father.

If it's mostly genetic, then how come there's this overwhelming environmental pattern?

I'll leave you with this.

Simon LeVay, in his study of the hypothalamic differences between the brains of homosexual and heterosexual men, offered the following criticisms of his own research:

"It's important to stress what I didn't find. I did not prove that homosexuality is genetic, or find a genetic cause for being gay. I didn't show that gay men are born that way, the most common mistake people make in interpreting my work. Nor did I locate a gay center in the brain.

"The INAH 3 is less likely to be the sole gay nucleus of the brain than a part of a chain of nuclei engaged in men and women's sexual behavior....Since I looked at adult brains, we don't know if the differences I found were there at birth, or if they appeared later." (Nimmons, 1994, p. 64).

This is where you will find some truth.

www.narth.com

Last edited:

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sky

And it's not even close to being genetic. It's just that everyone has heard it said so often that they believe it.

My grandmother is a psychotherapist. In 1973, when the APA (American Psychological Association) removed homosexuality from it's list of sexual disorders, she and many of her colleagues were bewildered. They no longer had the ability to "treat or help" the homosexual. They had to pretend that it was perfectly healthy, even though they had knowledge that it was harmful to most of those suffering from it. From dealing with homosexuals, the field of psychotherapy began to notice a pattern. The majority of the patients grew up with an overbearing mother and/or a physically/emotionally distant father.

If it's mostly genetic, then how come there's this overwhelming environmental pattern?

I'll leave you with this.

Simon LeVay, in his study of the hypothalamic differences between the brains of homosexual and heterosexual men, offered the following criticisms of his own research:

"It's important to stress what I didn't find. I did not prove that homosexuality is genetic, or find a genetic cause for being gay. I didn't show that gay men are born that way, the most common mistake people make in interpreting my work. Nor did I locate a gay center in the brain.

"The INAH 3 is less likely to be the sole gay nucleus of the brain than a part of a chain of nuclei engaged in men and women's sexual behavior....Since I looked at adult brains, we don't know if the differences I found were there at birth, or if they appeared later." (Nimmons, 1994, p. 64).

This is where you will find some truth.

www.narth.com

NARTH? I thought you were trying to make a non-biased argument. Being against homosexuality for religious reasons is fine...

I'm no advocate of homosexuality, but I am one for objective stances.

You make it sound like LeVay is the only person to study homosexuality.

Here are some references:

A review of recent research on the topic:
Mustanski, B.S., Chivers, M.L., & Bailey, J.M. (2002). A critical review of recent biological research on human sexual orientation. Annual Review of Sex Research, 13, 89-140.

Another review:
Rahman, Q., & Wilson, G.D. (2003). Born gay? The psychobiology of human sexual orientation. Personality & Individual Differences, 34(8), 1337-1382.

Relation of homosexuality to birth order:
Cantor, J.M., Blanchard, R., Paterson, A.D., & Bogaert, A.F. (2002). How many gay men owe their sexual orientation to fraternal birth order? Archives of Sexual Behavior, 31(1), 63-71.

You can find the articles (and hundreds more that are relevant) through an academic database. Here's the abstract from the first review article:

"This article provides a comprehensive review and critique of biological research on sexual orientation published over the last decade. We cover research investigating (a) the neurohormonal theory of sexual orientation (psychoneuroendocrinology, prenatal stress, cerebral asymmetry, neuroanatomy, otoacoustic emissions, anthropometrics), (b) genetic influences, (c) fraternal birth-order effects, and (d) a putative role for developmental instability. Despite inconsistent results across both studies and traits, some support for the neurohormonal theory is garnered, but mostly in men. Genetic research using family and twin methodologies has produced consistent evidence that genes influence sexual orientation, but molecular research has not yet produced compelling evidence for specific genes. Although it has been well established that older brothers increase the odds of homosexuality in men, the route by which this occurs has not been resolved. We conclude with an examination of the limitations of biological research on sexual orientation, including measurement issues (paper and pencil, cognitive, and psychophysiological), and lack of research on women."

Evidence --> Opinion
vs.
Opinion --> Find some evidence that supports it

The former is the approach of a scientist. The latter is the approach of someone who doesn't understand the nature of research.

Ever onward

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like gay women tho
Not me. It's bad enough I have to compete with guys for women. How am I supposed to compete with all those hot young bi/lesbian women out there? :crackup:

Now personally I wish there were more GAY MEN. Then there would be LESS COMPETITION in the field. I would start looking pretty good to all those HB 10's out there if single, available, HETRO, men were a scarcity.

It used to be that "being gay" was frowned upon by society so girls (and guys) were less likely to experiment or if they had a homosexual fantasy, they surpressed it.

In today's world bi girls are "every guys fantasy" according to Hollywood and the media so girs are more likely to exerpiment/fantasize and being bi or gay is seen as a cool thing.

It's unfortunate though because I would never date a bi girl. And if I found out a girl I was dating was bi, I would dump her. I wouldn't share my gf with a guy and I certainly wouldn't do it with another woman.

Any woman lucky enough to be with me would have to be satisfied with "just me". If she has fantasies that I can't/won't fulfill then, NEXT!

Okay this turned into a bit of a rant but I needed to let it out. :D

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sky
uh...is narth a religious organization?
If I correctly understand that their idea of homosexuality as a curable disorder is based mainly on the work of Elizabeth Moberly, and that the current director is Joseph Nicolosi, then yes, it makes sense to conclude that it's a religious organization (or, at least, an organization whose chief members and beliefs are tied to religious thought).

I didn't mean to imply that that mattered.

Whether the organization has a religious affiliation or not hardly matters.

And no, I'm not an atheist.

sky

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was planning on getting into a long response on how the methodology of most of these research studies is flawed, thus the outcomes can't be trusted as accurate, but I don't want to clutter the thread with an argument that will end up going nowhere.

I'll come with documentation refuting the validity of your documentation, then you'll concede on that piece of info, but you'll immediately come with another study and I'll show how the methodology was flawed in that one and then you'll concede on that one...etc. It's not like there are only a handful of studies professing biological ties to homosexuality. There are tons. This argument could last for months. Most people have forgotten some basics about science from high school.

I'm going to try this again for you and anyone else listening.

The idea that homosexuality can be cured was the prevailing belief from whatever year they began to treat homosexuality up until 1973. This is the oldest and first idea.

The idea that homosexuality has strong biological ties came after 1973. This is the newer and second idea.

In science, whomever comes to the table with a new theory, must prove it under great scrutiny from those in his branch of science. Otherwise we would believe 100 different theories about gravity.

The biological/genetic people have to prove their case. Not the other way around.

I can guess what's coming next. "But they have hundreds of studies that prove otherwise."

No, the studies always imply otherwise. They don't prove jack.

If the people at narth are religious, it doesn't matter. The science is solid and that's all that matters in the end. Many of the scientists who advocate the bio standpoint are gay or have ties to gay activism. That doesn't matter to me either. The facts are the only important part of this discussion.

Homosexuality and the
Possibility of Change
An Ongoing Research Project
http://www.newdirection.ca/research/index.html

The Three Myths
About Homosexuality
http://narth.com/menus/myths.html

excerpt:

There is no scientific research indicating a biological or genetic cause for homosexuality. Biological factors may play a role in the predisposition to homosexuality. However, this is true of many other psychological conditions.

http://narth.com/menus/statement.html

excerpt:

Most NARTH members consider homosexuality to represent a developmental disorder. Some of our clinician-members, however, do not consider the condition disordered, but simply defend the right to treatment for those who desire it. They have joined NARTH because they know that the client's right to choose his own direction of treatment must be protected.

There is also a wide range of religious and life philosophies represented among our members, including Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, Bah'ai, Protestant, Muslim, and secular humanist/atheist.

What is "Normal"?

Fifty years ago, researcher C.D. King offered a very useful definition of "normal." The practical wisdom of that definition is still apparent. Normality, he said, is "that which functions according to its design."

As clinicians, we have witnessed the intense suffering caused by homosexuality, which many of our members see as a "failure to function according to design." Homosexuality distorts the natural bond of friendship that would naturally unite persons of the same sex. It threatens the continuity of traditional male-female marriage--a bond which is naturally anchored by the complementarity of the sexes, and has long been considered essential for the protection of children.

In males, homosexuality it is associated with poor relationship with father; difficulty individuating from mother; a sense of masculine deficit; and a persistent belief of having been different from, and misunderstood by, same-sex childhood peers. In adulthood we also see a persistent pattern of maladaptive behaviors and a documented higher level of psychiatric complaints.

http://narth.com/menus/right.html

excerpt:

THE RIGHT TO TREATMENT

NARTH seeks to support the many homosexual men and women who are profoundly distressed by their condition. Homosexuality is experienced by them as completely contrary to their value system and their conviction that all men and women would normally be heterosexual were it not for disturbances in their early lives.

We acknowledge that many homosexual men and women do not wish to change their psychosexual adaptation, and we respect their wishes not to seek therapy. Furthermore we do not wish to diminish the rights of homosexually oriented people in society.

However, we believe that treatment should be offered to those who voluntarily seek it. NARTH works to protect the rights of clients who do seek treatment, as well as the rights of the therapists who treat them. We stand by the conviction that while biological factors may influence gender identity (and subsequent homosexuality) in some people, the condition is primarily developmental in origin, and it is--to differing degrees--responsive to psychotherapeutic measures. Therapy is aimed at decreasing unwanted homosexual attractions and increasing heterosexual responsiveness, with the understanding that substantial change will require a longterm growth process.

NARTH will serve, we hope, to balance the one-sided perspective disseminated by the media and our own psychological and psychiatric professional organizations.

http://narth.com/menus/future.html

excerpt:

[Commentary from
A. Dean Byrd, Ph.D., M.B.A., M.P.H.

Our organization has come a long way. The Spitzer study offers up-to-date, published evidence of the reality of change. Our 2003 annual conference featured a strong roster of academic speakers.

In 1973, I was providing treatment to men who struggled with unwanted homosexual attractions. The substantial majority of these men were not suffering from "internalized homophobia." In fact, I don't recall even hearing the term. Most were self-referred, and were not particularly religious. Certainly, they were not religiously motivated to seek therapy.]

[I was equally surprised at the activism that seemed to be emanating from the professional organizations, all of which aimed at forbidding the treatment of homosexuality even when the patient specifically requested such therapy. What had happened to patient self-determination, the cornerstone of all of the mental health professions? How could the national organizations state that homosexuality was not a disorder, and at the same time, suggest that homosexual men and women were not competent to make decisions about whether or not they wanted to pursue treatment? How could the the profession simply refuse to help clients bring their sexual desires and behaviors into harmony with their values?]

Whistler, Even if it were bio./genetically determined, the info in the first link(newdirection.ca) says that a third of homosexual patients who seek therapy have changed their sexual orientation. If they're born gay, the bio. component isn't strong enough for a third of them to stay gay after therapy.

Last edited:

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sky
I was planning on getting into a long response on how the methodology of most of these research studies is flawed, thus the outcomes can't be trusted as accurate, but I don't want to clutter the thread with an argument that will end up going nowhere.

I'll come with documentation refuting the validity of your documentation, then you'll concede on that piece of info, but you'll immediately come with another study and I'll show how the methodology was flawed in that one and then you'll concede on that one...etc. It's not like there are only a handful of studies professing biological ties to homosexuality. There are tons. This argument could last for months. Most people have forgotten some basics about science from high school.

I'm going to try this again for you and anyone else listening.

The idea that homosexuality can be cured was the prevailing belief from whatever year they began to treat homosexuality up until 1973. This is the oldest and first idea.

The idea that homosexuality has strong biological ties came after 1973. This is the newer and second idea.

In science, whomever comes to the table with a new theory, must prove it under great scrutiny from those in his branch of science. Otherwise we would believe 100 different theories about gravity.

The biological/genetic people have to prove their case. Not the other way around.

I can guess what's coming next. "But they have hundreds of studies that prove otherwise."

No, the studies always imply otherwise. They don't prove jack.

If the people at narth are religious, it doesn't matter. The science is solid and that's all that matters in the end. Many of the scientists who advocate the bio standpoint are gay or have ties to gay activism. That doesn't matter to me either. The facts are the only important part of this discussion.

Homosexuality and the
Possibility of Change
An Ongoing Research Project
http://www.newdirection.ca/research/index.html

The Three Myths
About Homosexuality
http://narth.com/menus/myths.html

excerpt:

There is no scientific research indicating a biological or genetic cause for homosexuality. Biological factors may play a role in the predisposition to homosexuality. However, this is true of many other psychological conditions.

http://narth.com/menus/statement.html

excerpt:

Most NARTH members consider homosexuality to represent a developmental disorder. Some of our clinician-members, however, do not consider the condition disordered, but simply defend the right to treatment for those who desire it. They have joined NARTH because they know that the client's right to choose his own direction of treatment must be protected.

There is also a wide range of religious and life philosophies represented among our members, including Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, Bah'ai, Protestant, Muslim, and secular humanist/atheist.

What is "Normal"?

Fifty years ago, researcher C.D. King offered a very useful definition of "normal." The practical wisdom of that definition is still apparent. Normality, he said, is "that which functions according to its design."

As clinicians, we have witnessed the intense suffering caused by homosexuality, which many of our members see as a "failure to function according to design." Homosexuality distorts the natural bond of friendship that would naturally unite persons of the same sex. It threatens the continuity of traditional male-female marriage--a bond which is naturally anchored by the complementarity of the sexes, and has long been considered essential for the protection of children.

In males, homosexuality it is associated with poor relationship with father; difficulty individuating from mother; a sense of masculine deficit; and a persistent belief of having been different from, and misunderstood by, same-sex childhood peers. In adulthood we also see a persistent pattern of maladaptive behaviors and a documented higher level of psychiatric complaints.

http://narth.com/menus/right.html

excerpt:

THE RIGHT TO TREATMENT

NARTH seeks to support the many homosexual men and women who are profoundly distressed by their condition. Homosexuality is experienced by them as completely contrary to their value system and their conviction that all men and women would normally be heterosexual were it not for disturbances in their early lives.

We acknowledge that many homosexual men and women do not wish to change their psychosexual adaptation, and we respect their wishes not to seek therapy. Furthermore we do not wish to diminish the rights of homosexually oriented people in society.

However, we believe that treatment should be offered to those who voluntarily seek it. NARTH works to protect the rights of clients who do seek treatment, as well as the rights of the therapists who treat them. We stand by the conviction that while biological factors may influence gender identity (and subsequent homosexuality) in some people, the condition is primarily developmental in origin, and it is--to differing degrees--responsive to psychotherapeutic measures. Therapy is aimed at decreasing unwanted homosexual attractions and increasing heterosexual responsiveness, with the understanding that substantial change will require a longterm growth process.

NARTH will serve, we hope, to balance the one-sided perspective disseminated by the media and our own psychological and psychiatric professional organizations.

http://narth.com/menus/future.html

excerpt:

[Commentary from
A. Dean Byrd, Ph.D., M.B.A., M.P.H.

Our organization has come a long way. The Spitzer study offers up-to-date, published evidence of the reality of change. Our 2003 annual conference featured a strong roster of academic speakers.

In 1973, I was providing treatment to men who struggled with unwanted homosexual attractions. The substantial majority of these men were not suffering from "internalized homophobia." In fact, I don't recall even hearing the term. Most were self-referred, and were not particularly religious. Certainly, they were not religiously motivated to seek therapy.]

[I was equally surprised at the activism that seemed to be emanating from the professional organizations, all of which aimed at forbidding the treatment of homosexuality even when the patient specifically requested such therapy. What had happened to patient self-determination, the cornerstone of all of the mental health professions? How could the national organizations state that homosexuality was not a disorder, and at the same time, suggest that homosexual men and women were not competent to make decisions about whether or not they wanted to pursue treatment? How could the the profession simply refuse to help clients bring their sexual desires and behaviors into harmony with their values?]

Whistler, Even if it were bio./genetically determined, the info in the first link(newdirection.ca) says that a third of homosexual patients who seek therapy have changed their sexual orientation. If they're born gay, the bio. component isn't strong enough for a third of them to stay gay after therapy.
Thanks for the reply. This is a good form of procrastination. I respect your opinion, and there is merit to NARTH's position.

But rest assured that NARTH's argument that homosexuality is a curable psychologocial disorder has, as my best guess, NO support in the rest of the scientific community. And I mean including scientists that aren't obviously biased one way or the other.

And in science, theories are evaluated based on whether or not they predict and conform to all of the carefully collected data available. Precedence of a theory means nothing with regard to accuracy.

NARTH may be right in their main assertions. (It would be wrong to assume otherwise until their ideas are disproven.) But there are plenty of data that suggest homosexuality is not merely a personality disorder that develops in boys because of an absent father as Elizabeth Moberly believes. An organization with a very clear position and almost zero respect from open-minded peers is not the best source for making an informed opinion. (Sorry, I sound like I'm lecturing.) I'd be happy to discuss methodology if you'd like. Cheers.

As a side note, a lot of human development relies on predisposing the body to change when/if stimulated by certain environments. Being able to see as you do, for instance, only came about because you had a specific visual environment as an infant. So I don't devalue genetic predispositions. In fact, any development where a signal or signals from inside or outside the body are required before development continues is arguably a demonstration of development led by genetics but reliant on the environment. Homosexuality could be triggered in a similar way. If that's the case, I would hardly say that there isn't a genetic component. If you lacked that genetic predisposition, you would never become gay.

If you want to continue this, cool. If not, I won't assume that you're conceding anything. This is getting too academic for the site.

sky

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I just don't like the idea that this is unchangeable. Being black, I always get a bit leery when the scientific community starts talking about what can and can't be proven genetically.

Did you know that there was a time in this country when science said that blacks couldn't compete in sports? You believe that? WE couldn't compete in sports? LOL!! Something about our heads being to small for the kind of thought required to do hand-eye coordinated actions. Granted, that's a silly example, but you understand what I'm getting at.

We don't have to take this any further. I actually agree with you on the genetic predisposition. I just get cautious when people make the leap in logic to say that it is unchangable.

Peace.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing much changes round here does it.

I think it's time to move on, find a forum which is fascinated by the art of seduction.

I'm now convinced SS is really a forum for closet gays who hate themselves for what they deep down know what they are, GAY and who just want to talk about it all the time.:rolleyes:

I would hazard a guess JTH has done more gay posts than posts about female seduction. He is a blatant homo, and so are his bum chums. These people make my skin crawl.