Alcohol

HansOslo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m hoping to get an answer to something I have wondered about for a while. That is, how damaging is alcohol on your workout routine?

To be more precise, I usually work out about four times a week, mainly weight lifting and rowing. But I also like to go out in the weekends, and maybe have a glass of wine with my dinner. I have a feeling that it might be detrimental to getting in better shape. So I was hoping some of you might shed some light on this.

Sorry if my spelling is off. English isn’t my first language.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know all the scientific reasons how alcohol could affect your training; but I think moderation is okay.

U

user43770

* Moderate alcohol consumption is assocoiated with an abundance of health benefits. The long-term effect on insulin sensitivity and body weight (via insulin or decreased appetite) may be of particular interest to us.

* The thermic effect of alcohol is high and the real caloric value is not 7.1 kcal: it's ~5.6 kcal. However, it's still easy to overconsume calories by drinking. Calorie for calorie, the short-term effect of alcohol on satiety is low. Adding to this, intoxication may also encourage overeating by disinhibition of dietary restraint.

* The negative effects of alcohol on testosterone and recovery has been grossly exaggerated by the fitness mainstream. Excluding very high acute alcohol consumption, or prolonged and daily consumption, the effect is non-significant and unlikely to affect muscle gains or training adaptations negatively.

* The effect of alcohol on muscle protein synthesis is unknown in normal human subjects. It is not unlikely to assume that a negative effect exists, but it is very unlikely that it is of such a profound magnitude that some people would have you believe.

* Alcohol is converted to acetate by the liver. The oxidation of acetate takes precedence over other nutrients and is oxidized to carbon dioxide and water. However, despite being a potent inhibitor of lipolysis, alcohol/acetate alone cannot cause fat gain by itself. It's all the junk people eat in conjunction with alcohol intake that causes fat gain.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html?m=1

U

user43770

Basically, drink in moderation and you're good.

If you really want to drink a lot, though, keep your fat and carbs low on the day you plan on drinking. Your goal is to consume a lot of protein from lean sources. e.g. chicken, fish, tuna, protein powder, egg whites. He also suggests drinking low-carb alcoholic beverages. If done correctly - and only once a week- you shouldn't see any fat gain.

He goes over all of this on his website; which is awesome in every category.

HansOslo

Reaction score
Thank you guys. People have been telling me that a whole week worth of excercise is wasted if I have a couple of beers on saturday. It is good to know that it isn't neccesarily so.

BTW, thanks for the link TyTe`EyEz. I will look that site up.

Kander

Reaction score
It is used in the wine and in any type of the bear so if its excessive usage definitely cause the side effect for all over the body therefore it is better never use this dangerous therefore for good physique be free from this.
software therapy

Last edited:

aline

Reaction score
Most of people use to drink Alcohol in different parties and usually at home.Alcohol is too much dangerous for us its becoming the cause of liver fail and increased fat also.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A glass of red wine with a steak is not gonna harm and probably even be healthy, the problem are the nights out when heavy alchoolic drinks or soft one in great quantity are consumed.

Its not that alchool has high calories thus making you fat, the point is that alchool require your body too put some extra work to deal with it, if the liver is forced to deal with alchool assimilation cant deal with other processes necessary to lose bodyfat or synt muscles.

Also when drinking you usually screw up the meal plan for the night by not eating and being late, you are in a catabolic state and sleep deprived possibly dehydrated.

I have your same problem actually since I like once a week to go out and blast dozens of euros on vodka with some random b1tch yet I decided to cut it for my well being.

U

user43770

Who Dares Win said:
I have your same problem actually since I like once a week to go out and blast dozens of euros on vodka with some random b1tch yet I decided to cut it for my well being.

I decided to keep it for my well being :D

I just hate being hungover.

kerse

Reaction score
Honestly, I would just treat it like any other drink you have. Measure how many calories are in it, and work it into you diet. I'm not giving up bourbon, that'd just kill me. But I can work it into my diet.

Groovy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry to be the one that reminds people of this, but alcohol turns testosterone in estrogen. It increases the liver enzyme aromatase. Which does just what I said. IDK anything else tho.

U

user43770

Groovy said:
Sorry to be the one that reminds people of this, but alcohol turns testosterone in estrogen. It increases the liver enzyme aromatase. Which does just what I said. IDK anything else tho.
Hey, Groovy, can you post a link to the scientific study? Thanks, man!

greatgatsby

Don Juan
Reaction score
i haven't touched alcohol in about 7 months. do i miss not drinking? sometimes. do i miss the hangover the next day? never!

i've also found that not drinking helps to keep me consistent with my diet and lifting. when i drink i tend to stuff my face; also, the next day's workout (if i even make it to the gym) is terrible!

alcohol won't be completely eliminated from my life... i just see myself drinking once or maybe twice a year on vacation. the whole drinking every weekend thing is old to me and counter-productive to my lifestyle.