Advice NEEDED ASAP

blind_one

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll try to be as short and precise as possible.

Some time ago me and my GF decided to go to hiking in the mountainside with a group of acquaintances, during long weekend off work/school. So I started saving up for the rent ( we rented a 6 room cottage ), the food+booze, transportation and so on.

We're supposed to get there ( ~ 600 KM/ 372.8 Miles ) by car with her older brother (driver) and his fiancée. I heard we were to throw in some money for the gas, which is fine and understandable. That was supposed to be 40* and now she tells me its 100.

Didn't say anything stupid but was really surprised as we exchanged messages on skype. Now she sensed I had mixed feelings about it. She kept asking if im fine with the fuel**** being 100. I didn' answer right away ( bad move right ? ) I said I need some time to consider.

She asked to consider what, agreeing or going by train for ~70 ( It would be more expensive but I have -50% off since im a student) also both ways in sleeping wagon.

100 is half my monthly ''income''

I might seem like really stingy but I feel bad by overpaying if I can help it.

It's also not a nice move to change plans decide 5 days before departure.

She said she'd go by train with me, I met her brother like 4-5 times, met their parents.

My blood boils when I post this simpish whining but I need your moral advice.

faeyt

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you really want to go? I think that if you're concerned about the overpaying, then your desire to go might not actually be that strong. I'd say you should just apologize and say "Sorry, I don't have enough money to finance that right now". You can also just mention "I might've been if I had more notice ahead of time."

HeadLightsOn

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. You are allowed to change your mind if the circumstances change. Your GF just won't want to look stupid in front of her brother.

If you are on a tight budget - and you are - then you have the absolute right to speak your mind to your GF. However the MANNER in which you do that is key.

I would just say that due to the additional cost, how about we both (you and GF) have a romantic train trip, with our own quaters and privacy. Or something similar.

it takes the heat off you, and gives her and out.

Also as a note - if her older brother and fiance then dont/cant do the trip without your funds - that says a lot about why they wanted you along for the ride ;)

Feel free to Rep me :->

HeadLightsOn

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
But dont Rep me on my horrid typing skills...

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just tell her you thought it was going to be 40, and you are embarrassed to say that paying 100 would create a financial burden for you since its half your monthly wage, she should understand

blind_one

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you for all your responses !!

After all I've decided to agree since we'd actually have to take a bus too and the cost would be around 85 + we'd be !@#$ tired after the train as much as with the car-trip anyway and wouldn't do much productive on that day. Major factor was that We would be arriving around 1pm and would be able to get in the cottage around 6 pm since thats the time the guys who rented the house arrive and get the keys.

She said something about " Nonetheless I'll remember the ''not nice'' situation two days before we go on the trip " .

I nearly laughed about that one, not to mention that its not the first time she ''bends time'' which I don't argue about because its pointless.

Thanks again :eek: