A couple more of my "Far out" pics

slitherjef

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Felt like sharing a couple other photos I took of the night sky a while back:

First one is of the small open cluster, M45:

http://home.comcast.net/~slitherjef/m45done.jpg

And the 2nd pic is of M31, which is due to slam into the milkyway (our galaxy) in about 2 billion years. Our sun is set to burn out in 5 billion years, so you figure M31 is headed for us at a quick pace, its currantly 2.9 million lightyears away...

http://home.comcast.net/~slitherjef/m31done8.jpg

I shot both with my camera and lens mounted on a telescope riding "piggy back" in my back yard

Enjoy

HandyAndy

Banned
Reaction score
So M31 is gonna slam into the universe in 2 billion years and you say its headed at a quick pace? Well anyways nice pics, i never see this many stars at night

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since space/time/light bends in on its self due to the mass of the universe(according to Hawking if you fly in a straight line you end up where you started). It would be so cool if you could get a telescope powerful enough to see our own earth. It would be trillions of light years away (maybe) so we would be looking into the past.

Actually earth will not have been created yet. oh well, we will have to wait a few billion years then.

We could watch the creation of earth if we knew where and when to look.

Mr. Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
We could watch the creation of earth if we knew where and when to look.
On the other hand you could stumble across God, Saddam, and Jesus playing poker.

Jer, what kind of pictures can you take of the moon? You ever taken pictures of moon spots/flashes? Take us picture of the moon man, and also one of that closest star, 40 light years away.

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HandyAndy said:
So M31 is gonna slam into the universe in 2 billion years and you say its headed at a quick pace?
The universe is pretty ****in big.

slitherjef

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mr. Wolf said:
On the other hand you could stumble across God, Saddam, and Jesus playing poker.

Jer, what kind of pictures can you take of the moon? You ever taken pictures of moon spots/flashes? Take us picture of the moon man, and also one of that closest star, 40 light years away.
No flashes or anything like that. I have a couple moon shots laying around some place, I will see if I can dig them up.

The closest star is actualy the sun, at 93 million miles away, a bit hard to photograph because you need special filters because of the brightness. But I think you where talking about Proxima Centauri located 4 and a quarter light years from the sun, or about 26 trillion miles. But photographing it I can't do since its in the Southern Hemisphere and Im in the northern.

Promixa Centauri is part of the Alpha Centauri star system

Mr. Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
Sun is not a star. Because you can only see stars at night, you can't see Sun at night, can you? :)

jlr12584

Don Juan
Reaction score
wow someone didnt know the sun is a star. ok basically its the only star we can see during the day due to the sunlight that blocks our vision... it is the only star in our universe but there are billions of "suns" out there in other galaxies.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah great pics love astronomy a ton we are so small

TooColdUlrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jlr12584 said:
... it is the only star in our universe but there are billions of "suns" out there in other galaxies.
there are about 200 billion stars (suns) in the Milky Way alone, which is an average sized galaxy. there are hundreds of billions of galaxies. so the number of stars in the "known" universe would be at least

200 sextillion...

give or take a hundredish sextillion.

slitherjef

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mr. Wolf said:
Sun is not a star. Because you can only see stars at night, you can't see Sun at night, can you? :)
I guess you think you can't see the moon during the day too, eh!?
Well the sun IS a star. A regular ol run-of-the-mill-yellow dwarf-star. And you can see the moon in during the day.. if you know where to look :trouble:

:)

Thanks for the comments all