5x5 deload week

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just finished week 7 of madcow's intermediate 5x5 program and I feel that I need a deload week. I haven't stalled on any of the lifts, but I have been feeling a little sluggish lately and the heavy sets are getting to be tough. I don't think I need to reset the whole program because my lifts are still going up.

My question is what would be a good structure for a deload week on the 5x5?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gkmantis said:
I just finished week 7 of madcow's intermediate 5x5 program and I feel that I need a deload week. I haven't stalled on any of the lifts, but I have been feeling a little sluggish lately and the heavy sets are getting to be tough. I don't think I need to reset the whole program because my lifts are still going up.

My question is what would be a good structure for a deload week on the 5x5?
3x3 with the same weight as in week7. Tremendous drop of volume (from 25reps per exercise to 9reps).

That will do it.

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. That sounds good. What would you recommend for the weight to use for those 3 sets? The 1st, 3rd, and 5th sets of week 7 or my top 3 sets?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gkmantis said:
Thanks. That sounds good. What would you recommend for the weight to use for those 3 sets? The 1st, 3rd, and 5th sets of week 7 or my top 3 sets?
Top 3 is ok. Dropping from 5reps to 3reps is a big difference. It will feel heavy, but is physically & psychologically easier.