10+ hours without food and then cardio = Bad?

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lets say you go to bed at about 12, wake up at 11-12am (day off! :)) and then perform cardio? Is this bad?

What Im trying to say is, if you go 10+ hours without food and you perform low intensity cardio (jogging) will it still shed that BF or muscle?

Thanks.

Chrisman

Banned
Reaction score
Most likely both.

The Nice Guy is Gone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by silverwex
Lets say you go to bed at about 12, wake up at 11-12am (day off! :)) and then perform cardio? Is this bad?

What Im trying to say is, if you go 10+ hours without food and you perform low intensity cardio (jogging) will it still shed that BF or muscle?

Thanks.
Yeah, more than likely both, but still unhealthy. You need to get something into your system before you work-out. Just be sure not to work out right after eating something.

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys, but any CONCRETE answers? E.g. anyone have a solida 100% correct ans.?

Thanks.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i've been putting like half a glass of whey next to my bed. I typically wake up 5-6 hours into the night having to pee so i figure while i'm up i might as well recharge a bit of protein before falling back asleep.

..that way i don't ever go that many hours without SOMETHING in my body. I can't believe you'd sleep 10-12 hours STRAIGHT without waking up once. If i ever sleep that long it's because i've woken up and decided to go back to sleep a few times... though my gf has been known to sleep that long uninterrupted but... just don't think it's that common, is it?

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well id usually go to bed about 1.30/2am - so id be getting about 8-9hours sleep. i only get 6.5hrs most other nights anyway.

but you still havent answered my q, if you go 10+ hours and do cradio, will it deplete your fat or muscle sources? i heard 8-10 hrs is best.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

but you still havent answered my q, if you go 10+ hours and do cradio, will it deplete your fat or muscle sources? i heard 8-10 hrs is best.
How often is this going to happen that it'll really make a difference overall? You'd be better off figuring out why you need to sleep that long.

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ok cheers guys.

ill have a small shake before i do cardio if i sleep that long then.

Sammo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Allright here's what i do.

Wake up and have 2 scoops of whey, no carbs whatsoever. When you wake up your body is in a catabolic state, its like a sponge and will use whatever nutrients you feed it. If you give it protein it will soak them up and protein will go straight to your muscles minimising muscle loss. NOW you go for a run, and what does your body do for energy? Well it can't use protein so it has to go to its natural energy stores, which is your BF.

Summary:
Wake up
2 scoops whey
Cardio workout
More whey

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for that sammo.

so the protein goes straight to your muscles, your body doesnt use that for energy whatsoever?

MoolahDiamond

Don Juan
Reaction score
Try buying some casein protein. It's slow digesting so it maintains your metabolism and protein absorbtion over night. Whey isn't the best idea at night since it is absorbed so quickly into the body. This plus whey in the morning will maintain your metabolism throughout your sleep and jumpstart it again in the morning.

Sammo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for that sammo.

so the protein goes straight to your muscles, your body doesnt use that for energy whatsoever?
Protein is not an energy source. As a result cardio will be more difficult as you will be carb depleted but you can up them after your workout. You will burn more calories and more fat if you excercise without carbs. NOTE: Try to get carbs for a workout in the gym though, they need to count.

Sammo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MoolahDiamond
Try buying some casein protein. It's slow digesting so it maintains your metabolism and protein absorbtion over night. Whey isn't the best idea at night since it is absorbed so quickly into the body. This plus whey in the morning will maintain your metabolism throughout your sleep and jumpstart it again in the morning.
Bingo, so add that to the top of my summary:

Pre-bed casein protein w/ water
OPTIONAL wake up and have more casein protein w/ water.
Then when you wake up what i said before.