How to learn English like a native

nelysses

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I know ı shouldn't ask this here but I must..

As you know, I live in Turkey and study medicine.

Although I love my country very much, sometimes it becomes unbearable.
In 1 day;
- A 19-year-old boy killed 2 girls. He cut off the head of one of girls and threw it in front of his mother. Yes, it's not a joke... (stupid incels are also praising what the kid did right now....
It even turned out that they blackmailed little girls on Discord and took pictures of them...
-2 men harassed a girl on the street. And they didn't even get a punishment from the government. They arrested the men again because there was a reaction on Twitter,
-A woman with a rifle took doctors hostage for no reason...

refugees keep coming and they live better than Turkish people. Everyone is so tense for these reasons and people even die in traffic. A cardiology doctor was shot in the head and killed in a hospital 2 years ago.

So yes. I don't even want to live in this country anymore. But I need to learn the language and study for another country's specialization exam. Since my English is already like B1, I thought it could be America. Maybe I can study for USMLE.
But I'm having trouble with English. What do you think I can do?
Unfortunately, I'm really bored and there's no one around me I can ask this to.

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
How are you having trouble with English?

If you didn't use Google translate or some other translation service for your initial post, you already are better at English than more than half of Americans.

I'd suggest watching shows and movies in English to help.

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a friend whose parents came to America from Jordan maybe 25 years ago, the father is a doctor. I believe the mother (who could speak English, but not well) actually paid for a service where she would Polycom (think predecessor to Skype-ish) with an American maybe 2-3 hours a week for about a year before they came to America. I think a big part of it was getting more familiar with the dialect and conversational English, as opposed to being a learning course.

They were very well off before they came to America, actually the mother had some level of royal pedigree, so I imagine the service was expensive, but I'm sure there are similar options today that cost less given the availability of videoconferencing.

nelysses

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Your written English is better than that of a typical young American, if that helps at all. If you want to learn to speak better, find someone and talk to them.
How are you having trouble with English?

If you didn't use Google translate or some other translation service for your initial post, you already are better at English than more than half of Americans.

I'd suggest watching shows and movies in English to help.
I just use translator for some words. I still have a B1 English for daily things. But when it's about job, I have to learn too good. Thank you guys.