Starting my own business: Franchisee

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update:

Wanted to wait for more significant updates but figured i would just update now.

- (4 weeks) Design plans from corporate, we got back. first time we got the design plans, they looked fine. We asked for equipment list of the materials that were used in the design and also needed the 3D rendering so that local designer would optimize to fit local city/state regulations. Instead of providing the material, the design team came back with an even more complex, although very cool design. Unfortunately, this design decreased the instore space and likely would increase the cost. Not sure why they provided a brand new design when we didn't ask for this as this wasted 1 weeks worth of timing. We had them scale back the design which and make some changes. This took another week. Finally, after the design was done we needed to wait another week for the equipment list and 3D renderings. We just handed off the designs to 2 contractors this week. They are working on quotes as we speak.

- bad news, we just saw on their mobile app, that we are no longer the first store to open in our city. Although technically a different location about 11 miles away and a different demographic, we expected to be the first store to open in our city. The competitor bought an existing bubble tea shop (or maybe was their previous brand that they quit), this bypasses the whole construction and permitting process and saves them about 5 months of time. They will open about 5 months earlier than us now. This news hit us hard but we're still committed. Just means we will lose some of the thunder when opening.

- Still waiting on insurance decision. 1st recommended insurance provider took over a month to provide us a quote. We followed up by email and call. There wasn't any answer so we sought out a bunch of additional quotes. Should have done this anyway. Told the referrer that it's been about a month with no quote and they escalated to the owner, their friend. We got the quote back that night and it was twice the cost of the other company. Sorting out the insurance quotes still to ensure they meet landlord demands.

- Still need to change the locks.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Update:

Wanted to wait for more significant updates but figured i would just update now.

- (4 weeks) Design plans from corporate, we got back. first time we got the design plans, they looked fine. We asked for equipment list of the materials that were used in the design and also needed the 3D rendering so that local designer would optimize to fit local city/state regulations. Instead of providing the material, the design team came back with an even more complex, although very cool design. Unfortunately, this design decreased the instore space and likely would increase the cost. Not sure why they provided a brand new design when we didn't ask for this as this wasted 1 weeks worth of timing. We had them scale back the design which and make some changes. This took another week. Finally, after the design was done we needed to wait another week for the equipment list and 3D renderings. We just handed off the designs to 2 contractors this week. They are working on quotes as we speak.

- bad news, we just saw on their mobile app, that we are no longer the first store to open in our city. Although technically a different location about 11 miles away and a different demographic, we expected to be the first store to open in our city. The competitor bought an existing bubble tea shop (or maybe was their previous brand that they quit), this bypasses the whole construction and permitting process and saves them about 5 months of time. They will open about 5 months earlier than us now. This news hit us hard but we're still committed. Just means we will lose some of the thunder when opening.

- Still waiting on insurance decision. 1st recommended insurance provider took over a month to provide us a quote. We followed up by email and call. There wasn't any answer so we sought out a bunch of additional quotes. Should have done this anyway. Told the referrer that it's been about a month with no quote and they escalated to the owner, their friend. We got the quote back that night and it was twice the cost of the other company. Sorting out the insurance quotes still to ensure they meet landlord demands.

Why I would never have agreed to go into a business with a franchise that wouldn't give you certain guarantees as the first one opening in an area.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update:

If you need a good insurance broker I can give you a referral, I have dealt with a lot of them, he is good

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why I would never have agreed to go into a business with a franchise that wouldn't give you certain guarantees as the first one opening in an area.
This is actually not a thing, although I wish it were. The only way you have bargaining power is if you are willing to open 5 locations at the same time and sign the franchise agreement stating this.

If you need a good insurance broker I can give you a referral, I have dealt with a lot of them, he is good
I'll see how this week goes. We have calls to clarify the quotes this week. If they don't turn out well, then definitely will hit you up on this.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Holy cow, these times are fun.

Architect/MEP - contracted
Contractor - waiting on contract to sign
Landlord - asked for 1 month rent forgiveness/free due to delays (still waiting to hear back. should be soon)

Corporate design team - pushed back on changing ceiling to save money even though they made it seem like this would be possible for us. We pushed back again making them aware of the cost. Still fighting this and will likely make a decision next week. This is like a $80k cost increase so prefer not to do it just to be "fancy". Current design is already interesting enough without a fancy ceiling.

Corporate had some restructuring due to their extremely aggressive and fast expansion. All further expansions in the US that don't have their franchise agreements signed are halted. Our competition that was opening in our city is no longer a concern in the foreseeable future. All of our previous contacts were booted out of our group chats and we had to find the new contacts. I checked with some friends at corporate as well, rough times.