Starting my own machine shop

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@The Duke several months ago said I was gonna tag you when I start my business. Well, I just did, spent a lof of money on tools, welders, to do it on the weekends. While still working my regular engineering job. Any tips?

I already have a job, I will make a Free Standing Coat Hanger, with the Captain America shield as feet.

Do we have machine shop owners in here?
Any tips from everyone else?

I even bought a domain to post pictures and videos of my work.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@The Duke several months ago said I was gonna tag you when I start my business. Well, I just did, spent a lof of money on tools, welders, to do it on the weekends. While still working my regular engineering job. Any tips?

I already have a job, I will make a Free Standing Coat Hanger, with the Captain America shield as feet.

Do we have machine shop owners in here?
Any tips from everyone else?

Sounds fun. When you say machine shop do you mean lathes and mills? Or do you mean more like a weld/fabrication shop? What kind of work do you plan to do?

Clockwerk50

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Not sure if you are going to do any cutting but I suggest to people to invest in a plasma machine or use propane instead of acetylene. You will save a couple of bucks since acetylene is so expensive

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Congrats, takes a lot of balls to put yourself out there and go for it, most never get past just talking about it. As far as tips, sales cures all. Do you have a plan besides just having a domain? Would suggest running some test ads on social media to see what type of response you get and what works/doesn't work. Create some funny videos that have potential to go viral. Post your product in different forums/groups focused on that genre. Bring your product to different conventions. Reach out to influencers in the comic genre. Start slow if you can't keep up with production if you get a big spike in sales. Good luck

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A friend of mine was a machinist. His shop's two most common jobs were turning tractor parts into mining equipment and also defense contractor work. Both industries use a lot of metal.

Divorced w 3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wish you all the possible success and good luck in this. It takes a set of brass balls to go out on your own

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds fun. When you say machine shop do you mean lathes and mills? Or do you mean more like a weld/fabrication shop? What kind of work do you plan to do?
Everything combined. Wel/Fab shop and eventually I plan to buy a used Bridgeport mill. I'll start doing custom designs, since I use CAD software to design, I can let me imagination run, I know design, fab and I'm missing welding, but I'll get it eventually, there are a lot of beginners kit to practice.

Congrats, takes a lot of balls to put yourself out there and go for it, most never get past just talking about it. As far as tips, sales cures all. Do you have a plan besides just having a domain? Would suggest running some test ads on social media to see what type of response you get and what works/doesn't work. Create some funny videos that have potential to go viral. Post your product in different forums/groups focused on that genre. Bring your product to different conventions. Reach out to influencers in the comic genre. Start slow if you can't keep up with production if you get a big spike in sales. Good luck
Thanks man, I'm nervous cause of the money spent, but I'll do the best I can to get it afloat, and eventually rent a place just for that.
A friend of mine was a machinist. His shop's two most common jobs were turning tractor parts into mining equipment and also defense contractor work. Both industries use a lot of metal.
Yeah there is lot of money in that, all the shops around my area are full capacity, they're not taking more jobs until 2025.

I wish you all the possible success and good luck in this. It takes a set of brass balls to go out on your own
Thanks man, this is my first time doing this $hit, I know it will be hard.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everything combined. Wel/Fab shop and eventually I plan to buy a used Bridgeport mill. I'll start doing custom designs, since I use CAD software to design, I can let me imagination run, I know design, fab and I'm missing welding, but I'll get it eventually, there are a lot of beginners kit to practice.

Thanks man, I'm nervous cause of the money spent, but I'll do the best I can to get it afloat, and eventually rent a place just for that.

Yeah there is lot of money in that, all the shops around my area are full capacity, they're not taking more jobs until 2025.

Thanks man, this is my first time doing this $hit, I know it will be hard.
One other idea, maybe have a few feet templates just to widen potential market. Ex, batman, superman, bitcoin etc Whatever niche markets that have a passionate base

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@The Duke
Go on the app Fiverr - you can pay an Indian/Pakistani dude to set you up online (website, logo, client data) for next to nothing. I was quoted £500 and paid £30 for my website and logo (this was a few years ago).

I have a guy that scrapes data for me and sends me an excel spreadsheet of potential clients emails and I pump out 100 emails a day using automation software.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The new baby, have you used a mill before?
Yes sir and lathes. Bridgeport Mills. NC, CNC, and manual.

That will be fun to use. I've got a few pieces of JET equipment in my shop. Pretty decent pieces for the money.