Being alone = Being appropiarly patient

jhonny9546

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We can talk about being alone. We should not confuse being alone with being lonely, as they are two different things.

For the speaker in the video, being alone means that we are simply "appropriately patient" in finding things and people who can truly satisfy us, rather than settling for what is provided by our social circle or society.
So it's also stating that there are many people who are togheter because they fear of being alone, or fear of being seen alone. (This is true for so many beta relationships).

While this is true, how can it all be so confusing?
We may not even be objectively beautiful, but we believe we should be role models and attract other role models. (And this could be something we can't accept of ourselves).

So, how do we avoid confusing the expectation of “waiting for the right things” with the idea that “you are only worthy if you are valued by others”?

holidayad_

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
While being alone is something that should come naturally to everyone, it's also possible to understand why it doesn't come naturally to everyone.

As human beings, we are programmed to connect with others.

The point is, many people equate being alone with failure. That's why we see so many people enduring toxic relationships. And I'm not talking about romantic relationships here. I'm talking in general.

Recognizing that you're fine on your own and won’t settle for less than what you deserve is a sign of self-awareness and understanding of your value. It reflects the kind of company you want to keep.

It takes a bit of maturity and a certain kind of standard to have this kind of mentality.

Once you're comfortable on your own, you won’t settle for just anyone by your side.

Hamurabimbi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are times when being alone is appropriate. During my studies. I was alone for a year while I completed a particularly rigorous part. I was too busy & too immersed to really care.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Everybody is different. There are factors like introvert vs extrovert; attachment styles; and whether someone is used to being alone vs always in a relationship.

I’ve gotten way too comfortable being alone. I interact with friends and family regularly, but I love living alone.

jhonny9546

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a very interesting topic, and another bias for the modern society, which sees alone people, like losers. (unfortunately)
It reflects the kind of company you want to keep.
And you know it when you're in presence of someone you do not tolerate.
And I don't know if its more lonely to be alone, or to be in an LTR with your college or childhood social circle "friend". (some of them really love themselves, but others are just there because society pressures)