80th Anniversary of one of the most Honorable days in American history

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For those who don't realize what the invasion was about:

The Invasion of Normandy, also called D-Day, ommenced at 5:30 am on June 6th of 1944. That's right, it began in the 6th hour of the 6th day of the 6th month of the year (666) and was code-named Operation Overlord.

@MatureDJ

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My dad is also turning 80. He was not even born until 2 weeks later. Every representation of that war or era, my folks were very young children or being born and I probably have more knowedge of those times then they did. My late paternal grandfather served in the WW2, in Africa, but the wrong side of history (Italians and Germans were allies). My mother experienced food rations in Trinidad (British colony at the time) during the war.

I used to take a big interest in WW2/Holocaust films until the Israel and Gaza thing, then just lost interest.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you for the thread. Consequential event in history it was.
Not really. By June of 1944, Germany was already finished. D-Day shortened the war by a few months, maybe a year. But it did not alter its course.

Also (and without taking anything away from the heroism displayed by men who fought there), the invasion of Normandy was a relatively small operation by the standards of the time. There were roughly 73,000 Americans and 83,000 British and Commonwealth soldiers involved. That is nothing compared to the major battles of WWII, such as Moscow, Stalingrad and Kursk, where literally millions fought on each side.