Is it good to lift light weight work for a month then do heavy 5 rep sets for two weeks then switch back to light for 4 weeks?

_sideways_

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just repeating that cycle im curious what the results would be.
All things being equal.

Captain Redbeard

Don Juan
Reaction score
You can certainly alternate between strength focused training and hypertrophy. I would stick with each for longer though. Something like 12 weeks to get maximum adaptations before switching

_sideways_

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's fine to do that, but basically wasted time to be lifting light weights unless HIIT or CrossFit.

For muscle building purposes, heavy weights in the range of 6-12 reps is ideal.

Volume should only ever be an amplifier of the work you're already doing - never the goal.
Explain this more please.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to alternate light and heavy workouts because it seemed to help recovery from the heavy sessions. However, I did it between each workout, not every couple weeks.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
The truth is in weightlifting as long as you’re adding weight to the bar every time and you practice some consistency. Anything is going to work.

All this obsession about exactly how to lift doesn’t apply to 99% of the men out there. It only applies to guys that have already reached most of the pinnacle of fitness and they want to tweak stuff.

It’s like guys that are weekend bicycle riders, shaving their legs because they think that the hair on their legs is going to slow them down. Seriously. Or gear hounds….

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some people do deload weeks.

lots of info out there.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Some people do deload weeks.

lots of info out there.
My deload weeks are the result of “oh fack my it band is hurting again”.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Truthfully your diet should be way dialed in before your adjusting your gym time like this, just get your gym time in and focus all this energy into your diet instead, remember this is 80% Food 20% Workout

Also eat for function, if you did do light weights you should be eating less carbs because you need less fuel than lifting heavy in my opinion, again talking about the food here is gonna be way more productive than the gym time.