How to survive a break up while living together?

Evermore87

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So me and my (ex)girlfriend just split up but we are still living together. As soon as she dumped me i immediately started looking for a place and i managed to find and will be moving on the 1st of April.

The thing is i told her how i felt and now i just want to move on with my life, but every minute in this house is a torture. I can't speak with her without saying a lot of **** that is going in my mind, so i just adopted the silent treatment and kept the distance.

I keep telling myself it's only 1 week more but is there any way to make this easier? Should i tell her everything i feel (whine and vent) or just keep the silent treatment and leave without a word next week?

Billtx49

Reaction score
At a time like this, anything you say will be overly emotional and not well thought out, so stay silent or keep communication as minimal as possible, only using for necessary statements.
On the day you leave all you need to say is goodbye while putting a smile on your face and keep walking. It's a subliminal nuke delivered on your way out the door.
One week is a short time, you can do it.

Last edited:

Chev.Chelios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pull a girl home and **** her.. hard, jk.

Really bro get out of there, sleep in your car or something, you have alot to face already in these next coming months.

Infern0

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you not stay at a friends house for a few nights?

I have been in this situation so i know it's not great but dont lose the plot just get out asap and keep it civil.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I keep telling myself it's only 1 week more but is there any way to make this easier? Should i tell her everything i feel (whine and vent) or just keep the silent treatment and leave without a word next week?
Everything you're wanting to tell her is just to make yourself feel good, but it probably won't. I would focus on being mature, civil, and keeping things in perspective. Conduct yourself in a manner that you can be proud of if you look back on it in a few months or years.

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was in the same position once and I just stayed at a friends house. Not all of us have the luxury of being able to stay somewhere else. Silent treatment is probably best your best bet. I learned the hard way that trying to tell her everything thats on your mind is a waste of time and energy. She wont care, it wont change anything and you will be left possibly feeling worse. I made that mistake months ago and felt beyond stupid telling her everything that was I on my mind as my anger got the best of me, and made me say stupid crap, not the stuff I really wanted to. It still eats at me that I didnt say what I really wanted to and now realize it wouldn't have changed anything anyways. All that did was create bad memories and self shame, as I could see how see looked at me like "this guys crazy". It's going to be hard, but try to work on you, focus on your game plan, keep silent and stay positive. Good luck