Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why You're Not Married

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(article is written by a woman and directed at other women.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tracy-mcmillan/why-youre-not-married_b_822088.html

by Tracy McMillan

You want to get married. It's taken a while to admit it. Saying it out loud -- even in your mind -- feels kind of desperate, kind of unfeminist, kind of definitely not you, or at least not any you that you recognize. Because you're hardly like those girls on TLC saying yes to the dress and you would never compete for a man like those poor actress-wannabes on The Bachelor.

You've never dreamt of an aqua-blue ring box.

Then, something happened. Another birthday, maybe. A breakup. Your brother's wedding. His wife-elect asked you to be a bridesmaid, and suddenly there you were, wondering how in hell you came to be 36-years-old, walking down the aisle wearing something halfway decent from J. Crew that you could totally repurpose with a cute pair of boots and a jean jacket. You started to hate the bride -- she was so effing happy -- and for the first time ever you began to have feelings about the fact that you're not married. You never really cared that much before. But suddenly (it was so sudden) you found yourself wondering... Deep, deep breath... Why you're not married.

Well, I know why.

How? It basically comes down to this: I've been married three times. Yes, three. To a very nice MBA at 19; a very nice minister's son at 32 (and pregnant); and at 40, to a very nice liar and cheater who was just like my dad, if my dad had gone to Harvard instead of doing multiple stints in federal prison.

I was, for some reason, born knowing how to get married. Growing up in foster care is a big part of it. The need for security made me look for very specific traits in the men I dated -- traits it turns out lead to marriage a surprisingly high percentage of the time. Without really trying to, I've become a sort of jailhouse lawyer of relationships -- someone who's had to do so much work on her own case that I can now help you with yours.

But I won't lie. The problem is not men, it's you. Sure, there are lame men out there, but they're not really standing in your way. Because the fact is -- if whatever you're doing right now was going to get you married, you'd already have a ring on. So without further ado, let's look at the top six reasons why you're not married.

1. You're a b!tch.
Here's what I mean by b!tch. I mean you're angry. You probably don't think you're angry. You think you're super smart, or if you've been to a lot of therapy, that you're setting boundaries. But the truth is you're pissed. At your mom. At the military-industrial complex. At Sarah Palin. And it's scaring men off.

The deal is: most men just want to marry someone who is nice to them. I am the mother of a 13-year-old boy, which is like living with the single-cell protozoa version of a husband. Here's what my son wants out of life: macaroni and cheese, a video game, and Kim Kardashian. Have you ever seen Kim Kardashian angry? I didn't think so. You've seen Kim Kardashian smile, wiggle, and make a sex tape. Female anger terrifies men. I know it seems unfair that you have to work around a man's fear and insecurity in order to get married -- but actually, it's perfect, since working around a man's fear and insecurity is big part of what you'll be doing as a wife.

2. You're Shallow.
When it comes to choosing a husband, only one thing really, truly matters: character. So it stands to reason that a man's character should be at the top of the list of things you are looking for, right? But if you're not married, I already know it isn't. Because if you were looking for a man of character, you would have found one by now. Men of character are, by definition, willing to commit.

Instead, you are looking for someone tall. Or rich. Or someone who knows what an Eames chair is. Unfortunately, this is not the thinking of a wife. This is the thinking of a teenaged girl. And men of character do not want to marry teenaged girls. Because teenage girls are never happy. And they never feel like cooking, either.

3. You're a Slvt.

Hooking up with some guy in a hot tub on a rooftop is fine for the ladies of Jersey Shore -- but they're not trying to get married. You are. Which means, unfortunately, that if you're having sex outside committed relationships, you will have to stop. Why? Because past a certain age, casual sex is like recreational heroin -- it doesn't stay recreational for long.

That's due in part to this thing called oxytocin -- a bonding hormone that is released when a woman a) nurses her baby and b) has an orgasm -- that will totally mess up your casual-sex game. It's why you can be f**k-buddying with some dude who isn't even all that great and the next thing you know, you're totally strung out on him. And you have no idea how it happened. Oxytocin, that's how it happened. And since nature can't discriminate between marriage material and Charlie Sheen, you're going to have to start being way more selective than you are right now.

4. You're a Liar.
It usually goes something like this: you meet a guy who is cute and likes you, but he's not really available for a relationship. He has some condition that absolutely precludes his availability, like he's married, or he gets around town on a skateboard. Or maybe he just comes right out and says something cryptic and open to interpretation like, "I'm not really available for a relationship right now."

You know if you tell him the truth -- that you're ready for marriage -- he will stop calling. Usually that day. And you don't want that. So you just tell him how perfect this is because you only want to have sex for fun! You love having fun sex! And you don't want to get in a relationship at all! You swear!

About ten minutes later, the oxytocin kicks in. You start wanting more. But you don't tell him that. That's your secret -- just between you and 22,000 of your closest girlfriends. Instead, you hang around, having sex with him, waiting for him to figure out that he can't live without you. I have news: he will never "figure" this out. He already knows he can live without you just fine. And so do you. Or you wouldn't be lying to him in the first place.

5. You're Selfish.
If you're not married, chances are you think a lot about you. You think about your thighs, your outfits, your naso-labial folds. You think about your career, or if you don't have one, you think about doing yoga teacher training. Sometimes you think about how marrying a wealthy guy -- or at least a guy with a really, really good job -- would solve all your problems.

Howevs, a good wife, even a halfway decent one, does not spend most of her day thinking about herself. She has too much s**t to do, especially after having kids. This is why you see a lot of celebrity women getting husbands after they adopt. The kids put the woman on notice: *****, hello! It's not all about you anymore! After a year or two of thinking about someone other than herself, suddenly, Brad Pitt or Harrison Ford comes along and decides to significantly other her. Which is also to say -- if what you really want is a baby, go get you one. Your husband will be along shortly. Motherhood has a way of weeding out the lotharios.

6. You're Not Good Enough.
Oh, I don't think that. You do. I can tell because you're not looking for a partner who is your equal. No, you want someone better than you are: better looking, better family, better job.

Here is what you need to know: You are enough right this minute. Period. Not understanding this is a major obstacle to getting married, since women who don't know their own worth make terrible wives. Why? You can fake it for a while, but ultimately you won't love your spouse any better than you love yourself. Smart men know this.

I see this at my son's artsy, progressive school. Of 183 kids, maybe six have moms who are as cute as you're trying to be. They're attractive, sure. They're just not objects. Their husbands (wisely) chose them for their character, not their cup size.

Alright, so that's the bad news. The good news is that I believe every woman who wants to can find a great partner. You're just going to need to get rid of the idea that marriage will make you happy. It won't. Once the initial high wears off, you'll just be you, except with twice as much laundry.

Because ultimately, marriage is not about getting something -- it's about giving it. Strangely, men understand this more than we do. Probably because for them marriage involves sacrificing their most treasured possession -- a free-agent penis -- and for us, it's the culmination of a princess fantasy so universal, it built Disneyland.

The bottom line is that marriage is just a long-term opportunity to practice loving someone even when they don't deserve it. Because most of the time, your messy, farting, macaroni-and-cheese eating man will not be doing what you want him to. But as you give him love anyway -- because you have made up your mind to transform yourself into a person who is practicing being kind, deep, virtuous, truthful, giving, and most of all, accepting of your own dear self -- you will find that you will experience the very thing you wanted all along: Love.

davewe

Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of truth here but the article is unlikely to change a single American woman.

Iceberg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, so that's the bad news. The good news is that I believe every woman who wants to can find a great partner. You're just going to need to get rid of the idea that marriage will make you happy. It won't. Once the initial high wears off, you'll just be you, except with twice as much laundry.

Because ultimately, marriage is not about getting something -- it's about giving it. Strangely, men understand this more than we do. Probably because for them marriage involves sacrificing their most treasured possession -- a free-agent penis -- and for us, it's the culmination of a princess fantasy so universal, it built Disneyland.
For an article written by a woman, I found these two paragraphs to be pretty wise:

Too many people think that marriage will MAKE them happy. No. The idea is, you were happy already, and this union with a great person will add to the happiness. The foundation of what makes you happy in life should not be some other person. That's unhealthy and unrealistic. And kind of pathetic.

I also agree that men seem to have more a willingness to sacrifice to make things work. Probably because our logical minds tell us that in order to get one thing, we'll sometimes have to sacrifice another thing. Often women (not ALL women, but the selfish kind) think of marriage as the acquisition of something...without considering that some things must be given up as well.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
davewe said:
A lot of truth here but the article is unlikely to change a single American woman.
davewe is the winner.

I especially liked "Your A B!tch." Nothing used to turn me off more when I was single than some narrow minded, snotty, know it all entitlement princess who seemed bent out of shape at the world 24/7. Somehow this species seems to have bred like rats over the years.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This one should be on that list.

7. You're Fat

I think we all know a fat, lying, slvtty, shallow, selfish, b!tch with self-esteem issues. There are certainly plenty of those fish in the sea.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
This one should be on that list.

7. You're Fat

I think we all know a fat, lying, slvtty, shallow, selfish, b!tch with self-esteem issues. There are certainly plenty of those fish in the sea.
:crackup: That was good! I'll be chuckling all weekend.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
8. You're Ugly

You don't give a sh!t about your appearance, walk around in your dirty sweats and flipflops all day digging splinters out of your a$$, pining for the man of your dreams and wondering why he never arrives. You also never trim your cooch, your ears or your nose hairs. You wear your pooh bear sweatshirt 4-5 days in a row, despite the stains on it from spilling chip dip on it when you were watching Jersey Shore. Basically, you're uglier than a used set of snow tires.

This is fun.

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Last girl i banged was all of the above (and i'm not kidding). That can't good. :D

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice article, but I'm not sure I agree with this statement:
"Men of character are, by definition, willing to commit."
From point #2.

HalfAddict

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the pl
I disagree good sir, I feel that many men of character are willing to commit. However women of character are sorely lacking. I would be perfectly willing to commit to a decent woman who is not going to run around on me and try to change/control me via mind ninja tactics.

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Half Addict I think Zekko's complaint was with the "by definition" part of the statement...not whether or not men of character COULD commit.

Of course men of character CAN commit

but a woman must earn that commitment from her man not extort it through shaming.

It is not for women to 'define' men.

Women can 'define' themselves but only to the extent that they have control over their own lives...which is very little as a rule.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This article has flies buzzing around it, yes ladies you're not married because men are insecure and fearful of your wrath lol.

I think the particle accelerator is actually a giant hamster wheel/rationalization generator/hivemind machine that all liberal women are plugged into lol.

It's like I say: Men are from earth, liberals are from outer space.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/155735015.html

In 2011, (Tracy McMillan) wrote an attention-getting essay targeted at women looking for Mr. Right, on the Huffington Post. It went viral, kicking up a lot of discussion about whether she was trying to set women back half a century or merely spouting plain truths. Now McMillan has turned that essay into a book, and hopes to adapt it for a film or television project.

I posted that link mostly because it contains the following quote, with which I agree:

If you're not happy in your relationship, you can be sure there's something you need to look at more deeply in yourself.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At least she tries to cut through the notion that everything bad that happens to a woman is men's fault, and everything good is a result of her strength and bravery.

I saw comedian Steve Harvey being interviewed about the film he wrote, Think Like A Man. I haven't seen the film, but he sounded like he was trying to make some similar points (as safely as he could via a Hollywood movie). He was trying to explain that being a "successful" career woman doesn't translate into attractiveness for a man. (Anyone see this movie?)

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
3. You're a Slvt.[/B]
Hooking up with some guy in a hot tub on a rooftop is fine for the ladies of Jersey Shore -- but they're not trying to get married. You are. Which means, unfortunately, that if you're having sex outside committed relationships, you will have to stop. Why? Because past a certain age, casual sex is like recreational heroin -- it doesn't stay recreational for long.
This is the only thing I disagree with. Other than that, it's a great article.

If I found out a gal I was with slept with a bunch of dudes on the first night, yet it took me a month to sleep with her because she thought I was 'marriage' worthy, I'd be gone. I'd lose all faith and trust in that gal.

If a gal is a slut, I want her to be a slut with me too, from the get-go. I'm not going to judge her past, but you can't be a slut your whole life, then all of a sudden become a prude housewife. It doesn't work that way.

I still think the best relationships start out sex based, then you build trust, friendship, love, etc on top of that. Get the needs, necessities out in the open early. Then build upon that.

betheman

Banned
Reaction score
Mr.Positive said:
This is the only thing I disagree with. Other than that, it's a great article.

If I found out a gal I was with slept with a bunch of dudes on the first night, yet it took me a month to sleep with her because she thought I was 'marriage' worthy, I'd be gone. I'd lose all faith and trust in that gal.

If a gal is a slut, I want her to be a slut with me too, from the get-go. I'm not going to judge her past, but you can't be a slut your whole life, then all of a sudden become a prude housewife. It doesn't work that way.

I still think the best relationships start out sex based, then you build trust, friendship, love, etc on top of that. Get the needs, necessities out in the open early. Then build upon that.
cant go alog with marrying a woman who has had loads of c0cks in her whenever, there is no defined cut off point obviously but if she has had wild times and slutted around , no way would I be putting a ring on it, id be looking for something a bit more reserved, cana woman who has slutted around be satisfied with one d!ck for the rest of her life? the odds are against it

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

^^This is definitely the best part of her article. There is still a bit of a ****y tone to some of her points---"putting up" with lazy smelly insecure men, etc, but overall it was nice to see a woman encouraging some personal accountability.

The one critical point she missed out on is physical appearance. Like it or not, it is a rate-limiting step and always will be!! Sure, there are fat married women, and plenty of them, but I bet you most of them weren't fat when they got married. And ugly?? I dont mean ugly in an out-of-the-box sense, I mean ugly in how much effort they put into themselves and being feminine. Every man of value wants a woman who puts effort into looking feminine and pretty, MOST of the time.

I think most well-developed, red pill men are looking for the following in a wife, if they want a wife:

1. She needs to be pretty
Not necessarily a show-stopper, but pretty enough we'll enjoy having her on our arm and want to fvck her spontaneously.

2. She needs to be a giver, a supporter
By definition a wife needs to be industrious and supportive. Otherwise what is the point of getting married? Giving up sexual free agency AND having to take care of two people? No thanks.

3. She needs to have strong character
This woman will likely be the mother of your children. She needs to have her OWN values (that align with yours of course) that she feels so strongly about she is willing to break up with you if they are violated.

4. She needs to loyal and reliable
Self explanatory.

5. She needs to like sex as much or more than he does
Also self explanatory, although it can be difficult to predict her sexual desire after marriage. Most red pill men should be able to tell within a reasonable doubt, however, and if the desire drops, know how to correct it by raising their own sex rank.

metoo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I very seriously doubt that the OP is a woman. Women, almost without exception, don't have that much insight or world view objectivity.

Down Low

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My version:

1. You're a slvt.

You spread your legs for men who have no commitment to you. The very fact that you went on to have sex with a second man proves that the first one had no commitment to you. Or he lied just to get some, and you were only too willing to believe. You wouldn't accept a check written on a strange overseas bank. Why did you accept a d1ck without checking up on his reputation, his moral character? Most importantly, why did you take his sperm without checking up on his family? Sexual intercourse is part of sexual reproduction. As in joining his family.

But never mind him. This is about you. Every time you change sex partners, it proves that you had no commitment to the last man.

Sure, society is messed up. Nowadays, it's perfectly acceptable for a man to make a pass at any woman at any time. Even if she's married, with her husband at her side, bending over to pick up her kid for baptism at the church. It's all right for a man to leer and say "nice tits" and wink at her. Hell, the baptism photo -- including the grinning fool and his (?) kid -- will probably wind up as her online profile picture for an online dating site.

But never mind her. This is about you. Just because other women play around, doesn't excuse your doing it.

As soon as a man checks up on your reputation, his slvt meter will perk up like a geiger counter next to radioactive waste. He doesn't even have to do any checking. All he has to do is look at you. Where you are, what you do, what you wear, what you say: your every aspect tells him all he needs to know.

If you have no commitment to a man, what are you doing having sex with him? Leading him on? He could have been with the cute girl he was looking at when you bumped your selfish ass into him. But no! You had to use him as a dildo with legs.

2. You're a wh0re.

Half the people on Earth have an income of less than two dollars a day. But you want a man to daily give you a hundred times this. Just how is your pvssy such a rare commodity that it's worth so much? Do you have some super immune system that gives you total resistance to yeast infections or something?

And you don't care where the money comes from, either. He could get it by robbing banks for all you care. Just as long as he gives you the money. In fact, you don't really care what the man looks like, or how he behaves. As long as the money buys you good times, you'll spread 'em. But the good times suddenly came to an end. A decade ago, 60% of American families thought they owned a house. Now, it's closer to 10%. Half the men in America just plain lied about their financial prowess. They took out loans they couldn't repay from income they couldn't depend on. Basically, these men robbed banks. And their women turned their heads and went along.

But the real problem isn't that you have a grossly inflated idea of your pvssy's worth. The problem is that you put any price tag on it to begin with. You're doing the same thing that a two-dollar streetwalker does in Cambodia. You're treating a man like a wallet with legs.

3. You're a liar.

You have no intention of devoting yourself to one man until he dies of old age. If a man seems to tolerate your slvtting around and wh0ring while you're still dating, you'd be willing to say "I do." For a few years, maybe, until you spend him into money trouble. When the good times machine slows down, you plan to withhold sexual favors: to use it as a weapon, along with nagging, to get more of what you want. And what you want is more freedom to make yourself available to other men, so that more money can be spent on you.

You reserve for yourself the right to use contraceptives, to have abortions, to cheat on him if you get mad enough, to tell him another man's seed is his, then to rob him like a bank as part of the divorce settlement. Plenty of other women get away with this. Why can't you? If he's stupid enough to marry a slvt and a wh0re, he deserves what he gets. Right?

Problem is, you're punishing him for your wrongdoings. Remember, this isn't about him. It's about you. If you can't respect any man who'd be just another good time for a slvt and a wh0re, why are you going around slvtting and wh0ring to attract the very men you could never respect? You're living a lie. And you're creating your own hell for yourself to live in. Never mind the real-life hell you create for men with the lie of pvssy heaven.

4. You're shallow.

Slvts and wh0res make it easy for even the stupidest men to see that they're, well, easy. But what can a man do when every woman dresses, talks, and acts like a tramp? If the whole culture, down to each of its "alternate lifestyles," glorifies prostitution, all a man can do is chase cvnts. Now it becomes very difficult for even a smart, respectful man to sift through the superficiality of trashy fashion and find any enduring character.

You have no right to complain that "there aren't any good men" or whine that "men don't take the trouble to find out the real me." They already know the real you. You don't spend a minute trying to become a better woman. Instead, you spend your time checking Facebook, texting, watching TV, and doing your nails. You're stuck at endlessly trying to become a better 13-year-old girl.

5. You're disrespectful.

After years of watching the clown show of impotent girl-women, even the toughest men eventually give up. They start making lewd comments at the ones with the biggest cup sizes, smallest waists, and the least facial creases. You know this. You respond to this. You recognize disrespectful manners because you practice them all day. (When's the last time you heard anybody say "May I?" or "Will you?" It's all "Can you?" and "I need...".)

Men are good for nothing but providing good times? They don't deserve respect? Well, look in the mirror! You may not have a tramp stamp, but you're still disrespectful head to toe. You burn money in cosmetics and jewelry. That habit becomes much more expensive when you have to disguise your age. You compete with men for manliness by cutting your hair and wearing pants. Men want femininity in women. Female masculinity is a challenge to a man's manhood. It's an insult. Acting like a man is what you want your man to do. If you want him to do it, why are you doing it?

6. You're not good enough.

You'd make a terrible wife and mother. You know it and you show it. You're a generation of single moms raised by single moms. You have no idea what fathering is, much less what harm is done to children by the parade of impotent boy-men you bring home. You're sitting there nodding because I'm telling you what you already know. So why aren't you learning how to cook and taking classes in sewing, instead of wasting time on the Internet reading about relationships?

webpiter

Reaction score
You want to get married. It's taken a while to admit it. Saying it out loud -- even in your mind -- feels kind of desperate, kind of unfeminist, kind of definitely not you, or at least not any you that you recognize. Because you're hardly like those girls on TLC saying yes to the dress and you would never compete for a man like those poor actress-wannabes on The Bachelor.