Why do I hate the idea of the happy couple?

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this has been one of the things holding me back all these years. I cannot get over that image of a lovey-dovey happy couple. The ones who hold each other at parties and talk to each other like they're five. There's something about it that just seems so fake to me. So much so that its irritating. Its like George in that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and his GF call each other "Schmoopy."

The kind of couple where they have each other in their Facebook profile pictures, both smiling for the camera and all cuddled up like they're posing for a magazine ad.

I cannot see myself ever being like that. Its a struggle to call a girl "baby" unless I'm doing it ironically. And don't get me started with the term "wifey." UGH! There has never been a term more annoying to me than "wifey."

Maybe I'm just not cut out for that kind of thing. Holding hands, cuddling, all that sh*t, I think is great . . I get it. But 'wifey' and 'baby' or talking in the tone of a girl in the 4th grade, not so much.

To be honest, its disgusting to me.

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps, somwhere deep down, you WISH you could be like that but at the same time you KNOW you can't be like that. Hence, you experience frustration?

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I understand your pain. I have a girlfriend and have all the characteristics of what I personally want in the "couple", but we don't do that ghey sh*t you described. I resent it too. So, to me, it's not so much jealousy, although that may fuel it a bit.

Strelok

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm happy to see them as much as I'm happy to see old couples still taking care of each other,after all the social rubbish I see around they are probably some fuel for hope.

What kills me are those modern couples arguing in the car with the kids on the backseat.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
I dunno...it's just...boring.

If I envy anything about it, I envy other people's ability to find "fulfillment" in all that BS. Although most couples I know who have had that kind of relationship eventually break up anyway, or are not as happy as they look on the surface and are largely pretending.

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels said:
If I envy anything about it, I envy other people's ability to find "fulfillment" in all that BS.
I think squirrels hit on it a little.

Also, I've been mind-raped for years (either through the 'community' or my own experiences and outlook) into thinking that kind of unchecked fuzzy stuff leads to pain and inevitable heart-break and it irks me to see it on display. Its also frustrating because most of the time its simply dependent validation-fulfillment and they masquerade it as 'love.'

Yes, I'm this fun at parties.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm completely with you on some of your points. PDA itself doesn't really bother me. But there are specific times where it just seems like a couple is doing it in order to show off to everyone. Not only does that make it hard to handle, but it makes you think a little deeper, especially about the guy, and how much other sh!t he probably does that pisses you off. I generally don't have an attitude like that, where I look for things to dislike in someone, but other times I can't help it.

Aside from the "showing off" part, it can also come off like they feel the need to prove they are happy. As if anyone really cares about their situation.

I HATE the childish talking. I have a close friend who is the absolute worst about that. His g/f's voice is annoying as it is, but when they do that, I wanna jump through a window.

When I am in a relationship, I do sometimes say "baby" or something similar. But, I wouldn't do it in front of people. Like I said before, I'm not really against PDA, so it's not like I pretend I'm not with the girl. But I respect the fact that people either don't care, or feel like you do haha.

I felt this way when I was in a happy relationship, so I see where you are coming from.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I can understand where the OP is coming from, I also hate overly fake Public Displays of Affection as I find it tasteless. Couples who text each other every five minutes, call each other by obnoxious pet names, and make out in public is a little much.

But not all PDA's are offensive. Take the royal couple, Prince William and Kate, they show affection to each other in public, but it's not obnoxious, it's dignified an respectful of others....behaviour worthy of royalty. I'm sure Kate's a demon in the sack though :rockon:

Like Luda said, "we want a lady in street but a freak in the bed"..

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PDA doesn't bother me, its mostly newer couples and what not but yeah, words like wifey annoy the crap out of me. By using the word "wifey" its almost like the guy is saying "i'm a little b*tch that likes to be dominated by my wife and feel like I would die without her" That's what comes to mind when i hear that word.

That actually brings me to another question. Ever hooked up with a girl and had a little fling with, she knew you really liked her, she decided to move on and then she starts dating a guy and shows PDA in front of you while you are around some mutual friends? That was kind of annoying, not gonna lie.

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That has happened to me. I just made sure to face her direction and carried on with a conversation with someone else during the entire time, making note of the dozens of times she looked at me in the midst of the PDA while I laughed on the inside.

The word "wifey" is an abomination that needs to be stopped. I'm glad you get me on that.

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll be honest, my gf of two years and I pretty much do everything together. First girl I have ever been this way with. The thing is, we want to do everything together and the thought of not doing so is kind of odd at this point. I mean if I play cards with the guys or play a sport with them she doesn't participate lol, but other than that......We go on all vacations together, go shopping....dinners, movies, clubs, watch TV, cook, work out, etc etc together, all the time. And ya know, I love it.

You know what is funny though, we have each been on Facebook since we met each other, and I think we have posted on each others walls exactly one time. Have no pics of us together on there either. We don't need to flaunt how we feel about each other....we just do it.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cordoncordon said:
I'll be honest, my gf of two years and I pretty much do everything together. First girl I have ever been this way with. The thing is, we want to do everything together and the thought of not doing so is kind of odd at this point. I mean if I play cards with the guys or play a sport with them she doesn't participate lol, but other than that......We go on all vacations together, go shopping....dinners, movies, clubs, watch TV, cook, work out, etc etc together, all the time. And ya know, I love it.

You know what is funny though, we have each been on Facebook since we met each other, and I think we have posted on each others walls exactly one time. Have no pics of us together on there either. We don't need to flaunt how we feel about each other....we just do it.
Good stuff. :up:

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not all couples display all that gooey sentimental/saccharine behavior.
I'm affectionate with my girl, but:
I think of an LTR in a much more practical sense, as a partner. We're building a life together, and both contribute to our goals.
I like the example of the royal couple, they displayed affection in public, but it was in an appropriate manner.

Zunder

Banned
Reaction score
zekko said:
Not all couples display all that gooey sentimental/saccharine behavior.
QUOTE]

Yeah mate there is a difference between being affectionate and being gooey.

That gooey sh!t in public coupled with talking to each other like they are five years old....is just crap.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zunder said:
That gooey sh!t in public coupled with talking to each other like they are five years old....is just crap.
I am very much against PDA's.

Any man that gets mushy in public with a woman makes me sick. As a matter of fact I noticed that the less affectionate the man is in public, the more the woman is into him. AFC's tend to be the biggest huggy bears around more so then the woman herself which usually ends up with the woman getting sick of them in the end.

Its ok if your woman gets mushy (actually its a good thing) but just because she does it, doesn't mean its a good idea for you to do the same.

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand why some guys start talking LIKE girls when they talk TO girls. Its really weird.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Forty0ztoFreedom said:
I don't understand why some guys start talking LIKE girls when they talk TO girls. Its really weird.
People who spend time together start to talk like each other. They start using the same slang, the same inside jokes, even the same inflections and phrases.

That's why I always wonder about these guys who only hang out with a pack of girls. If they're not feminine to start with, they probably will be before long.