What do you think you would have done in this situation?

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If the woman I'm with isn't my wife, sister, mother, daughter, sister-in-law, cousin-sister-who-I-was-close-with, or grandmother; then I'm getting the hell out of dodge.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A woman came up to my two my friends and me in a bar tonight looking questioning at a barstool beside us. Our friend had been sitting there and went to the bathroom. She asked if this friend was male and female. I said "what's the difference" while my one friend answered it's a guy and she said since it's a not a girl it's okay to take the seat.

You think I'm defending someone who thinks of my sex as less deserving of ANYTHING? No, they have abdicated any of these special provisions that they didn't even deserve in the first place.

No. None of them. I'm more likely to charge at the killer than I am to be some dumbass human shield because at least I'll die doing something rather than basically ducking and covering with some dumb notion of righteousness in my head because I duck and covered on top of a girl.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Girlfriend? Hell no. I'd avenge her death by taking out the killer, at best. Most likely I'll just duck.

I wasn't always with that enlightened attitude. I only realised my old way was wrong and stupid after Hilary Clinton showed me the light. A few years ago, Secretary Clinton, surely one of the Greatest Women ever in the history of the West, said this gem:

Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat. Women often have to flee from the only homes they have ever known. Women are often the refugees from conflict and sometimes, more frequently in today’s warfare, victims. Women are often left with the responsibility, alone, of raising the children.
That's the moment I saw the light. By sacrificing my life to protect women, I would be responsible for making them the primary victims and suffer a miserable life.

I heard nothing but cheers from Western women on that statement (you can experiment by reposting that on Facebook and see for yourself), so I was totally assured that ducking for cover in such situations is the right thing to do.

THAT is truly being heroic.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe Hillary went there. Pretty insensitive to male suffering.
She might be right that women are the victims of war in that it is usually men who make the decision to go to war, but that isn't what she meant.

I won't belittle these guys for their acts of bravery, however. Maybe you wouldn't do the same, and definitely "chivalry" is an unpopular thing around here. Maybe I don't agree with the underlying "social conditioning" involved. But these guys decided to try to protect someone they loved. Maybe they looked the girl's father in the eyes and said they would take care of his daughter, and figured they had to act out of a sense of honor.

But here's another question:
If some guy much bigger than you came up and starting beating on your girlfriend for no reason, would you step in?

Last edited:

ebracer05

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
But here's another question:
If some guy much bigger than you came up and starting beating on your girlfriend for no reason, would you step in?
Without question. I don't make BS commitments. If I am going to commit to a girl, she has become a part of my stead and sphere, and if some dude is going to start messing with that (or literally messing it up) I am not going to tolerate it. I don't believe violence is the best tool for every problem, but it can be used with efficacy.

EDIT - I also don't consider a girlfriend a trivial relationship. A girlfriend is someone I have known long enough and dated long enough and care about sufficiently to say that I will commit my romantic and sexual attentions categorically to her with the expectation of reciprocity. I'm not talking girlfriend in the high school vernacular. Maybe serious LTR would be a better description.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's difficult to say what we would do in a split-second, life or death situation. My guess would be that most of you would protect whatever female companion was with you, even if she were your girlfriend's bytchy friend who was otherwise useless to you.

People may flame these guys as fools for sacrificing their lives for females, but look what happened when that guy let a baseball hit his girlfriend in the head. He got flamed too, for having the opposite reaction. Different scenario? People can and have suffered life-threatening injuries from baseballs. (Why just look at the video of A-Rod from last night.)

Protecting females at the expense of males is not some recent White Knighting phenomenon. Women carry precious cargo and can only be impregnated once at a time. Men carry relatively cheap ammunition and can knock up hundreds of women in theory. For all the talk about evolution and biology around here, we can't have it both ways.

Roy Baumeister on the subject:

The Disposable Male

A second thing that makes men useful to culture is what I call male expendability. This goes back to what I said at the outset, that cultures tend to use men for the high-risk, high-payoff undertakings, where a significant portion of those will suffer bad outcomes ranging from having their time wasted, all the way to being killed.

Any man who reads the newspapers will encounter the phrase “even women and children” a couple times a month, usually about being killed. The literal meaning of this phrase is that men’s lives have less value than other people’s lives. The idea is usually “It’s bad if people are killed, but it’s especially bad if women and children are killed.” And I think most men know that in an emergency, if there are women and children present, he will be expected to lay down his life without argument or complaint so that the others can survive. On the Titanic, the richest men had a lower survival rate (34%) than the poorest women (46%) (though that’s not how it looked in the movie). That in itself is remarkable. The rich, powerful, and successful men, the movers and shakers, supposedly the ones that the culture is all set up to favor — in a pinch, their lives were valued less than those of women with hardly any money or power or status. The too-few seats in the lifeboats went to the women who weren’t even ladies, instead of to those patriarchs.

Most cultures have had the same attitude. Why? There are pragmatic reasons. When a cultural group competes against other groups, in general, the larger group tends to win out in the long run. Hence most cultures have promoted population growth. And that depends on women. To maximize reproduction, a culture needs all the wombs it can get, but a few penises can do the job. There is usually a penile surplus. If a group loses half its men, the next generation can still be full-sized. But if it loses half its women, the size of the next generation will be severely curtailed. Hence most cultures keep their women out of harm’s way while using men for risky jobs.

These risky jobs extend beyond the battlefield. Many lines of endeavor require some lives to be wasted. Exploration, for example: a culture may send out dozens of parties, and some will get lost or be killed, while others bring back riches and opportunities. Research is somewhat the same way: There may be a dozen possible theories about some problem, only one of which is correct, so the people testing the eleven wrong theories will end up wasting their time and ruining their careers, in contrast to the lucky one who gets the Nobel prize. And of course the dangerous jobs. When the scandals broke about the dangers of the mining industry in Britain, Parliament passed the mining laws that prohibited children under the age of 10 and women of all ages from being sent into the mines. Women and children were too precious to be exposed to death in the mines: so only men. As I said earlier, the gender gap in dangerous work persists today, with men accounting for the vast majority of deaths on the job.

Another basis of male expendability is built into the different ways of being social. Expendability comes with the large groups that male sociality creates. In an intimate, one-to-one relationship, neither person can really be replaced. You can remarry if your spouse dies, but it isn’t really the same marriage or relationship. And of course nobody can ever really replace a child’s mother or father.

In contrast, large groups can and do replace just about everybody. Take any large organization — the Ford Motor Company, the U.S. Army, the Green Bay Packers — and you’ll find that the organization goes on despite having replaced every single person in it. Moreover, every member off those groups knows he or she can be replaced and probably will be replaced some day.

Thus, men create the kind of social networks where individuals are replaceable and expendable. Women favor the kind of relationships in which each person is precious and cannot truly be replaced.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For those still interested in this, here's a link to a story about a guy who did run off and leave his girlfriend behind. If you check out the comments, there is page after page of him being decried as a coward and a loser. Of course a big reason for this is that he also left behind his four year old and four month old children. The girlfriend helped get them out and took a bullet in the process.

There are also several comments about the wisdom of taking children that young to a midnight showing.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/20/couple-who-saw-movie-with-baby-to-marry/?iref=allsearch