Thoughts On The Movie "Poor Things"

jamesfromhouston

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi gents.

Just watched this movie recently. Very interesting movie. I recommend it. Made me think a lot about gender dynamics as well as some RP concepts.

Without spoiling it for those who've yet to see it, here are some of my takeaways based on the movie:

- Men are the more romantic sex. Romanticism as well as ideas of love can really detriment men. The Disney or in this case Victorian concepts of courtship and love can really hold us back and open us to a world of pain and exploitation.
- Women (the protaganist) on the other hand can easily change their demeanour and attachments to relationships. In a war bride sort of fashion, they can be heartlessly adaptable.
- Men are attracted to nubile young girls with sex being one of the largest driving objectives of pursuit. Generally we are also drawn to what we cannot have which leads to pedestalization.
- Attractive men lead frame. They are usually in control, cool, suave and level headed. But when they give in to their emotion and start pedestalizing women, they lose everything. When she becomes your everything, it's the start or the end of both her attraction to you and yourself.
- Often the gender dynamics seems to be men have more power during courtship and without discipline that power shifts to women, later in the relationship as men become betatized.
- Women can easily become a source of chaos in men's life. And men can become overinvested in them.
- Women burn out sexually over time. They become more jaded with more sexual experience. They might always hold onto the memories and benchmark of the top high scorer in their past experience, in the way that Desdina spoke of on this forum but they become less passionate and enjoyable over time after being on the carousel.

These are just some of my thoughts watching the movie. Ofcourse the movie happens over a very specific and fantastical context with unique plot devices but regardless, some of the underlying themes and thoughts above I think holds true.

For those who have not seen it, it's worth a watch!

For those who have, what are your thoughts?

BaronOfHair

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My thoughts on PT as a movie:

Emma Stone turned in a fantastic performance, and deserves The Oscar. The movie itself is yet another "Men evil, helpless women constantly screwed over by evil men" yarn, the likes of which Hollywood's been churning out non-stop since '16

In terms of what it has to say about relations between men and women... I'll have to stew on that for a minute

PlatoPacks23

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi gents.

Just watched this movie recently. Very interesting movie. I recommend it. Made me think a lot about gender dynamics as well as some RP concepts.

Without spoiling it for those who've yet to see it, here are some of my takeaways based on the movie:

- Men are the more romantic sex. Romanticism as well as ideas of love can really detriment men. The Disney or in this case Victorian concepts of courtship and love can really hold us back and open us to a world of pain and exploitation.
- Women (the protaganist) on the other hand can easily change their demeanour and attachments to relationships. In a war bride sort of fashion, they can be heartlessly adaptable.
- Men are attracted to nubile young girls with sex being one of the largest driving objectives of pursuit. Generally we are also drawn to what we cannot have which leads to pedestalization.
- Attractive men lead frame. They are usually in control, cool, suave and level headed. But when they give in to their emotion and start pedestalizing women, they lose everything. When she becomes your everything, it's the start or the end of both her attraction to you and yourself.
- Often the gender dynamics seems to be men have more power during courtship and without discipline that power shifts to women, later in the relationship as men become betatized.
- Women can easily become a source of chaos in men's life. And men can become overinvested in them.
- Women burn out sexually over time. They become more jaded with more sexual experience. They might always hold onto the memories and benchmark of the top high scorer in their past experience, in the way that Desdina spoke of on this forum but they become less passionate and enjoyable over time after being on the carousel.

These are just some of my thoughts watching the movie. Ofcourse the movie happens over a very specific and fantastical context with unique plot devices but regardless, some of the underlying themes and thoughts above I think holds true.

For those who have not seen it, it's worth a watch!

For those who have, what are your thoughts?
this movie was ****ing UNCOMFORTABLE.

the mark ruffle character is interesting... a guy who does well but once things break off becomes very bitter and child like.

this sticks out to me the most.. I had someone I've been seeing who said it's her favorite movie of the year. I'm not sure what to make of that but it almost gets me paranoid because the main character is basically experimenting with different men the ENTIRE MOVIE and then "returns" at the end.

it may be a dumb question.. but how do woman relate to this character? they feel constantly trapped by men too?

Last edited: