Things you may think are gay, but aren't

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Worry about your hair.
Shaving bodyhair.
Worrying about complexion/skin tone
Tanning
Manicures (pedicures are kind of weird though)
Dressing nice

Feel free to add to this list. Some of these things may be considered "metro" if you choose to label is as such but let me put it this way.

Women love a man with stylish hair. Whether it's something soft to run her hands through or something short and clean looking (sometimes the buzz feels cool too), they love it.

Bodyhair shaving isn't gay. I shave all of mine and I constantly have girls rubbing my arms after they find out I shave. Half the time those girls end up rubbing my c*ck too.

Complexion. Face it, zits suck. There are ways to get rid of them.

Tanning. Take two twins. Exact in every way. One is pale, one goes tanning (not to the extreme though). The tan one will get more p*ssy. I've notice in improvement in reception when I started tanning. Plus, my back doesn't break out much anymore.

Manicures. Never had one, but the stuff around my nails is startin to shred again, I hate that sh*t. Besides, short clean nails makes for easier foreplay.

Dressing nice. Need I say anything?

Gay:
1. Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex. 2. Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.

So you're only gay if you're A: Happy or B: attracted to men

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Worry about your hair.
Shaving bodyhair.
Tanning
Dressing nice

Feel free to add to this list. Some of these things may be considered "metro" if you choose to label is as such but let me put it this way.

See metrosexual and retrosexual:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It dpeends on your personality.

if you're a grimy, slummy guy then dont do any of that stuff. i do my best poorly shaven, cut lip/beaten-up face, wearing a baseball cap, cheap clothes (that fit well to show decent muscle tone, especially around butt), and a full bitter scowl. this is my most masculine, and i get much more 'sexy' looks than 'aw hes so cute' looks.

when i tried doing the stuff above i felt gay and was really uncomfrtoable and insecure, it was noticable. instead of spending time shopping, i spend that time preparing meals. the money i spent of clothes n products i now spend on food and a gym membership.

and ya some of that stuff is hella gay. im not saying ur gay, but i dont think these activities should be encouraged as masculine behaviour

Android

Don Juan
Reaction score
The only thing that is really gay is having sex with another man. Nonetheless, there's no way in hell I'd get a manicure or shave my body hair. I don't have the ****ing time for trivial **** like that. Shaving body hair isn't the worst thing, but a manicure? Nice joke.

"eeehhhh meh naaaails ehhh yeww guuyyyys"

Honestly, if a girl sees a guy getting a manicure, she will probably lose interest fast. Spend more time in the gym and less in the beauty salon, fellas. But if manicures are your thing, be my guest.

onyx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i wouldnt shave my body hair i think you should trim certain parts though, but i would never touch my arms.

ER!C L!VE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Worry about your hair.
Shaving bodyhair.
Tanning
Dressing nice
I can guarantee you that Brad Pitt has done all the above in addition to wearing make up on screen (and maybe off?).

Nobody

Don Juan
Reaction score
My friend got denied once... when I asked why, she said "Because he seems metro..." The only metro thing about him was his haircut. He doesn't tan, he's a hairy MFer, but he acts a little too romantic. I think metro is more of a personality nowdays than shaving.

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wore a lime-green shirt to the bar last night with a jacket overtop. I looked like the guy from "What Not To Wear".

And ya know WHAT? The girls loved it. I must have had five of them come up to me and grab my collar.

It depends on the girls, really.

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Nothing other than the act of being physically and emotionally attracted to men will make you technically gay. That being said, a lot of the activities listed below, are stereotypically perpetuated by homosexual men. So while you of course are technically not gay because you like to shave your arms, society will without uncertainty cast you into that group.

At this point in the discussion, it usually turns into an online penis measurement by saying, "yeah well I dont care what society thinks, I do what I want because I like it." With me countering, "if you don't care what society thinks of you, why are you in an online society defending your choices." It goes on ad naseum.

My personal opinion varies greatly, and it is where the fun begins.

Worry about your hair. You should get your hair cut whenever it gets too long for your personal tastes. Don't put any gel, mousse, or God help you, product in your hair. Oh. And go to a straight male barber. One who charges about $7 a haircut. It looks exactly the same as your $25 haircut and you don't have to sit in the chair with the creepy feeling that Fernando would rather be massaging your other head.

Shaving bodyhair. Most dudes say they shave their arms/legs/etc because it makes their muscles look bigger. Quick pointer. If you spent the time you spent trying to become aerodynamic at the gym, your muscles would look bigger regardless. Unless you are an Olympic athlete in a heated race to break the world record, leave all hair on your body where God put it.

Worrying about complexion/skin tone. This actually isn't so bad because after your early teen years, acne is sometimes a reflection of an inadequacy in your diet. By taking action to improve your diet, you improve your body with a side effect being a clearer complexion.

Tanning. Yet another pearl of wisdom. You can get a free tanning session 365 days a year, merely by going outside and performing some kind of activty for about an hour. Wear sunscreen to avoid the perils of skin cancer and you'll be fine. Please, please, please, do not say "Well, its winter here and I cant go outside to get a tan." There is good news for you folk. NOBODY HAS A DAMN TAN. When you show up at a party in Montreal looking like a Coppertone ad, whatever girl you try to game, if she's at all interesting, will invariably ask you where you went on vacation to get such an awesome tan. At this point, you can successfully claim your position as the douche who went tanning.

Manicures (pedicures are kind of weird though). Why? Why do you need to go pay money so people clip your nails, file out your rough spots, and put all the foo foo choice and finish on you desire? Listen, clip your nails, dont get hang nails and file them out if you do. How can you defend manicures while saying that pedicures are weird? Dudes hands should be gritty and have some knicks and scratches on them. Groom yourself, stay healthy, but by essentially wasting your money so you a girl can go, "Wow! Your hands feel just like mine!" is a ridiculous concept. If you still think it is a good idea to become meticulous about your hands appearance, I will simply point you in the direction of the Seinfeld episode where George become a hand model. Case Closed.

Dressing nice. Making yourself look presentable and having to buy 3 new issues of GQ because you spanked it to the new fashions too much are entirely different ideas. By taking pride in your image, you show that you are healthy and value your appearance. By running out and buying the "hottest new blazer to wear over your pink polo with a popped collar with your stylishly ripped jeans" is just weird for a dude to do.

Overall, you can do what you want and you probably will. I will ask you to do one thing however. Think back to the time that the baby boom generation was just starting, right around the end of World War II. These were the MEN who served our country, probably your grandpa's or great grandpa's now. Can you picture any of these true ass kicker's sitting around, shaving their arms and going to the salon to get their nails did up? Of course not, because they were men and were too busy out kicking ass and taking names to have time to worry these feminine activities.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stud said:
Shaving bodyhair. Most dudes say they shave their arms/legs/etc because it makes their muscles look bigger. Quick pointer. If you spent the time you spent trying to become aerodynamic at the gym, your muscles would look bigger regardless. Unless you are an Olympic athlete in a heated race to break the world record, leave all hair on your body where God put it.
I, personally, just have a thing against body hair. I feel I look better without it. Again, thats my personal take on it. People who know I shave my body hair take weird to it at first, but it becomes a fact of life after a few days. Some girls I know are sort of infatuated with the smooth, yet firmness of my skin.

Tanning. Yet another pearl of wisdom. You can get a free tanning session 365 days a year, merely by going outside and performing some kind of activty for about an hour. Wear sunscreen to avoid the perils of skin cancer and you'll be fine. Please, please, please, do not say "Well, its winter here and I cant go outside to get a tan." There is good news for you folk. NOBODY HAS A DAMN TAN. When you show up at a party in Montreal looking like a Coppertone ad, whatever girl you try to game, if she's at all interesting, will invariably ask you where you went on vacation to get such an awesome tan. At this point, you can successfully claim your position as the douche who went tanning.
Ha again, it's just a personal thing. I guess I'm just kind of weird about this, but I hate being pale. And I hate tan lines. Girls know I go tanning, in fact I meet a few girls from school there on a regular basis. I had one girl jokingly call me gay, only to say a few minutes later "but, I think guys who look tan are a hell of a lot sexier than the pale guys, so you'll be alright". The other girls who know, are suprised that I'd be one to do that. I don't come off as the kind who would.

Manicures (pedicures are kind of weird though). Why? Why do you need to go pay money so people clip your nails, file out your rough spots, and put all the foo foo choice and finish on you desire? Listen, clip your nails, dont get hang nails and file them out if you do. How can you defend manicures while saying that pedicures are weird? Dudes hands should be gritty and have some knicks and scratches on them. Groom yourself, stay healthy, but by essentially wasting your money so you a girl can go, "Wow! Your hands feel just like mine!" is a ridiculous concept. If you still think it is a good idea to become meticulous about your hands appearance, I will simply point you in the direction of the Seinfeld episode where George become a hand model. Case Closed.
Never had one done, but I always wnated to try that parafin dip or whatever...sounds pretty sweet. As for why I think pedicures are weird, I just don't like people messing with my feet. Weird for me, not the person getting them done.

Other than that I can totally see where you're coming from on these issues. Some guys like to stick to the all natural kind of thing, the "whatever happens happens" attitude. Thats perfectly okay. I bounce back and forth between this and that. A few years ago I would've said the exact same thing. I started tanning to clean up acne, it worked, and i looked a hell of a lot better tan than pale. I shaved my body hair when I lost a bet, and liked the way it looked, so i kept it up. I dressed nice because I got bored, and I liked that. All this stuff happened because of something, and I enjoyed them. This is why I do it, not because I think it'll score me some serious p*ssy, because again, in the end its all about how you carry yourself. I do it because I feel better about my appearance. Simple as that.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Worry about your hair.
Shaving bodyhair.
Tanning
Dressing nice
Here's one woman's take on the above mentioned subjects:

1-Your hair= Neatly trimmed, or groomed. If you have short hair, keep it trimmed and neat. If you have long hair, keep it well conditioned and brushed smooth. (The freaky biker look only looks good on freaky bikers)

2-Body hair = I've said this before, and I'll say it again...LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE! Shaving your arms of legs IS GAY! It's beyond gay because most gay men DON'T do it!. Unless you're a pro bodybuilder, DO NOT SHAVE/WAX your body hair! If a woman rejects you because of not being smooth, she was probably looking for a woman in the first place. Trim the grass around the flagpole, but leave the rest of it alone.

3-Skintone= You guys are pretty much screwed on this one. If you're acne free, that's about as good as you can hope for. I do not think using facial/skin products to inhance your skin is gay or wierd. Bronzers are a little creepy, too much like make-up.

4-Tanning= Has been linked to skin cancer which doesn't look good on anyone. If you use it, use it carefully.

5-Manicures= All I ask is that your nails are CLEAN, and filed smooth. Dirty nails gross me out. Anything more is kinda wierd.

6-Dressing nice=Dressing for the occasion is a must. If we're going out hiking, wear your boots, jeans & t-shirt. If we're going to the opera, white shirt, tie, dark suit and shoes...AND DARK SOCKS! Clean clothes, good fitting, classically styled. When in doubt, keep it simple!

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
Your hair - keep it short, highlight if you like although no stupid emo cuts or long hair

Body hair - never ever shave your legs, shaving your chest is fine, no-one should ever have back hair

Skin - look after your skin, moisturise it and keep it in perfect condition, bad skin looks good on no man

Tanning - out of a bottle if you MUST. Maybe use it if you're lookin' good and you wanna be more defined

Manicures - that's not just gay, it's pointless - cut your nails and clean them...that's all

Dressing nice - nothing wrong with this, IMO it's a good idea 'cos girls do like well dressed men and dressing better makes you look a lot better - make sure everything fits too, tight shirts will get you ass, not *****