The Myth of Weight vs. Muscle and strength

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wanted to point out to a bunch of you kids who go around talking about gaining ex-amount of pounds and muscle by a certain amount of time. Lets examine why people think its soo easy to put on muscle weight, and if your not 200 pounds or more your considered weak.

All of us get a certain degree of info from websites who have famous coaches and or pro bodybuilders. We all read about how these guys are 5'4 - 5'8 and over 200 pounds of muscle with single digit body fat.

This info trickles down through our monitors and we think..wow, I'm 5'11 and I weigh 190..if I build up some muscle I stay on my cardio I can look and be as strong as my favorite bodybuilder !! Often times no one takes into account that these guys have spent years lifting (some with horrible form and improper technique) and taking anabolics.

Reality for a majority of us is unless it is within our genetics to be over 200 lbs of solid lean muscle its just NOT going to happen. Often times people don't even realize that sometimes genetically we have body parts that will build faster and better than others and without chemical assistance will be nearly impossible to have well proportioned balanced physique's without sacrificing gains in another area of other bodies. I've seen a few people on this forum scoff at trainers and lifters who are 170lbs and don't have a spectacular looking physique with there clothes on thinking they must be weak with no knowledge of training and how to build muscle. This is delusional elitist behavior. Most of you are so accustomed to seeing juiced up bodybuilders and genetically gifted lifters under clever lighting that you believe it is the NORM to look like like these altered images of a muscular physique.

you also believe that being a certain weight is a direct measure of strength and aesthetic. Not everyone has genetic potential to be over 200 of lean muscle some even less than that. I'm not saying don't try to reach a certain goal, but don't be disappointed if you step on the scale and it says 173, yet you can squat, bench and deadlift more than any of the bigger guys at your gym.

The point of this thread was some of you will work hard and get really good results for your efforts but may become disappointed and upset that you don't resemble what some of the pro's look like. This is just to let you know that its not impossible to look like a pro builder, you have to take in consideration that there are so many superficial factors that go into making them look the way they do, a majority of it being anabolics. So don't be to hard on yourself when you notice that you have low body fat but see what appears to be a gut (which in fact is not fat, most likely you gotta take a dump). Or your abs don't look as deep and defined as some of the guys on websites or magazines. Most if not ALL of that stuff is make believe. Real people with healthy attractive physiques don't look as impressive as the media portrays and simply reaching a heavy weight won't guarantee you strength and looks.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very true. And you are right, just cause someone isn't big, doesn't mean they can't give advice. I find a lot of big guys who have horrible form on most excerises. (rounded backs, quarter reps, etc)

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've gotten a lot of good info from this site, but you're right, some people here have a very warped idea of what "skinny" is. A ripped 5'9 guy could say he's 178 pounds and half the board would laugh at him. Get real.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i don't think 200lb lean bw is limited that much by genetics. with hard work, 200lbs isn't that hard, maybe unless you're under 5'5. many times i find "genetics" to be a common excuse.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
200lb isn't impossible for anyone.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think coach Mark Rippetoe covers this well in the below quote and what you say D&B and I also agree with Rippetoe that bodybuilding isn't a sport and one reason I got into Powerlifting which is a sport.

LoneSilver

Quoted by Mark Rippetoe)The things that are primarily responsible for the differences in individual genetic capacity for the ability to excel at strength sports depend on the sport. Anthropometry is a big consideration. Most very good weightlifters are either of normal proportions with relatively long arms, or tend towards longer torsos/shorter legs. Longer arms can be a liability for powerlifting, where the bench press is adversely affected by long arms but where the deadlift benefits. Squatting ability is benefitted by balanced leg/torso proportions. Bodybuilding is not a sport, but still lives and dies by anthropometry: normal balanced proportions, thin skin, low propensity to store sub-q bodyfat, and long muscle bellies are all anthropometric characteristics.

The second most important characteristic would be neuromuscular efficiency, a thing which is unfortunately quite dependent on genetic endowment. The density of motor unit innervation, fast twitch/slow twitch ratios, and CNS efficiency are all controlled by genetics, and to a large extent are not trainable. The abilities they control can be improved within the boundaries imposed by their limitations, but you can't train a kid with a 10" vertical to have a 20". These factors are not visible in a bodybuilder, but the effects their limitations impose on his training are

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This might be off topic, but oh well.

I remeber when i was younger i had a friend who was about 6-7 inches shorter than i was, but he was bigger and a little stronger. I remember one time he told me that i should have more mass and be stronger than him cause i was taller. I still think thats a retarded thing to say...but...someone whose 6'4 195 isnt comparable mass wise to someone whos 5'8 195, right? I mean if they lift the same amount on a variety of excercises, the taller guy would be doing more work, therefore making him stronger...this isnt really a question but i just want to know what everyone thinks cause theyre are some tards out there.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree 110% in what you say.

LoneSilver

oakraiderz2 said:
I mean if they lift the same amount on a variety of excercises, the taller guy would be doing more work, therefore making him stronger...this isnt really a question but i just want to know what everyone thinks cause theyre are some tards out there.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
you also believe that being a certain weight is a direct measure of strength and aesthetic. Not everyone has genetic potential to be over 200 of lean muscle some even less than that. I'm not saying don't try to reach a certain goal, but don't be disappointed if you step on the scale and it says 173, yet you can squat, bench and deadlift more than any of the bigger guys at your gym.

You keep saying 200 lbs of "lean muscle" and then compare someone who weighs 170. What are you trying to say? 200 lbs of lean muscle aside from the other 60 lbs of other stuff?

Of course, not everyone can be mega-uber 260 lbs of lean but 200 lbs of weight at a decent body fat % is sooo hard? Please, at an average height and anything more than completely piss poor genetics that is doable. Anything else is just that poor mantra of "i'm a hardgainer" when most people simply are not. And how do you even know you can't genetically get there until you try? Instead people label themselves hard gainer so of course they go no where rather than just double their food intake and get a routine/program that fits them. Those extra calories have to go somewhere and if there's a training stimulus it might as well go to muscle.

Sounds like a real defeatist's attitude.

I never look at bodybuilders or powerlifters or anything like that. I don't care about the elite guys and i don't understand why anyone looks at them. I don't understand the point of this thread on this forum. Do we have anyone here at all aspiring to be THAT huge and asking how to look like their fav bodybuilder? Everyone i see that comes here asks about some ripped movie actor that weighs like 180.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The point of this thread has nothing to do with specific weight, 200 and 170 are just random numbers I picked. It could have been any number, 190 and 230...160 and 210, etc.

My post had nothing to do with 200lbs or any specific number pounds.