Storm Fear

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I watched an old black and white movie from 1956 today, called Storm Fear. It was about a bank robber who hides out with his brother in a snowstorm. Turns out that the brother's wife used to have sex with the bank robber guy and had a son with him. The brother was a beta type who married his wife to provide a home for her and her son, but she doesn't love him. Later, it is revealed that their hired handyman (played by Dennis Weaver) also is in love with her, and makes a play for her.

So all the guys in the movie are in love with, the husband, her ex-boyfriend bad boy bank robber, and the handyman. The only exception is the robber's henchman partner, who has a moll of his own. But I was thinking this really shows how sexual dynamics work in real life. If you're an attractive enough woman, all the guys want you, and you choose. She was played by Jean Wallace, if you're curious.

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I actually have this movie on my digital hard-drive collection, but have yet watch it. After your review, it's now on my priority list.

About ten years ago, a forum member mentioned an interesting movie called "The Apartment" (with Jack Lemon, Shirley MacLaine, etc...) . This was before I found websites that specialize in movie downloads. Based on their review, I purchased a hard copy. You might like it. I did.

Here's a few other suggestions.

Satan in High Heels - 1962 (gritty, and similar)

Face in the Crowd - 1957 (somewhat similar, but also shows how gullible most folks are).

Faster, Pvssycat! Kill! Kill! - 1965 (great female exploitation movie)

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I actually have this movie on my digital hard-drive collection, but have yet watch it. After your review, it's now on my priority list.
Yeah, it's worth a watch if you like old movies. It feels a bit like a western to me, although it isn't.

Of the other movies you mentioned, I've seen A Face in the Crowd, a few times. The Apartment looks interesting, I'll put that on my list. I recently saw Jack Lemmon in a rewatch of Glengarry Glen Ross (I'm guessing you've seen it).

In short, we may watch these old films and think that they're reflecting present day society (because that's all most of us know). But what actually happened is that the films influenced the social structures that led to our reailty today.
Yeah, I doubt that many people would deny that Hollywood has had a detrimental effect on our moral standards.