Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Stem cell research

The Truth

Banned
Reaction score
So what are your thoughts on this? From what I've read stem cell research holds the potential to be the miracle cure humans have been waiting for. It can help treat cancer, motor neuron disease, it can even give sight to the blind!

The catch is that it means "killing" unborn foetuses and has been declared as immoral.

In my opinion, a foetus has no experience of life, no emotions, no attachments, no family or ambitions, and will not even experience any pain from the procedure.

Also, there are enough women out there using abortion like a form of birth control and men who spread their seeds randomly with no intention of raising a child.

Personally if I had the choice of aborting my unborn and undeveloped child's foetus to save my family or my girlfriend's or my own life that's a sacrifice I would be willing to make and would not regret.

I am 100% in favour of it and believe the red tape should be lifted to allow research to continue.

Religious groups are protesting that man shouldn't play God, but God's not doing anything to help us so my faith is in the scientists and doctors of this world. Morals and principles never cured terminal illnesses or accidents, stem cell research can!

Any opinions?

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So far I agree with you. I have a disability I was born with that I want gone.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They come from embryos, not fetuses. Big difference. And only some people consider it immoral, it hasn't been "declared" anything. What I find most amusing is that some of the same people who think stem cell research is immoral have no problems with in vitro fertilization, which requires embryos to be destroyed to work. Stem cells would come from the embryos that would otherwise be destroyed after in vitro fertilization.

I'm in favor of stem cell research.

Q: What happens to any extra pre-embryos?
A: A maximum of four pre-embryos will be transferred to the uterus for possible implantation. Patients will have several other options regarding the disposition of the remaining pre-embryos. One option is to freeze pre-embryos for your later use. Other options are to donate or simply dispose of them. Excess pre-embryos, if any, belong to you, and you will determine what is to be done.
http://www.ivf.com/ivffaq.html

Morals and principles never cured terminal illnesses or accidents, stem cell research can!
However I don't agree with this sentiment. There is an ethical line we should not cross. Stem cell research shows us how subjective this line is.

pressure0354

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am pro stem cell

The whole moral issue is quite complex.

I am personally all for stem cell research. I think modern medicine is amazing and stem cells can hold incredible prospects for treating all sorts of disorders.

A lot of anti-stem cell people don't realize that the stem cells that research would be conducted on are from frozen zygote/embryo banks from which most of are discarded anyway.

I am all for california and other states providing state funding.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im all for the research because it will allow us to learn new things and how to save people from all sorts of things.

however, i do not wish to clone animals or people just because we know how after researching all that.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pressure0354 said:
A lot of anti-stem cell people don't realize that the stem cells that research would be conducted on are from frozen zygote/embryo banks from which most of are discarded anyway.

I am all for california and other states providing state funding.
The problem is that many labs are opening Pandora's Box with all this genetic engineering and Frankenstein hybrids.

Say they start splicing insect and plant genes into a bacteria, and you can easily create a chimera superbug. And if these escape the lab and infect people, well now you just started the next Plague that may have no cure.

Eg - M0rgellons Disease... :nervous:

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A significant percentage (~25% or ~60%?) of embryos "die" on their own in the womb.

Consider that the ideal percentage of sex yielding pregnancy is perhaps 25%.

So,

1. Having unprotected sex means you'll almost definitely be "killing" embryos.

and, very ironically:

2. If you're trying to get pregnant, you'll be "killing" even more embryos.

3. The people that "kill" the most embryos are having frequent sex without protection.

So, if you're really into second-degree murder, go try to procreate. ;)

The Truth

Banned
Reaction score
wayword said:
Say they start splicing insect and plant genes into a bacteria, and you can easily create a chimera superbug. And if these escape the lab and infect people, well now you just started the next Plague that may have no cure.
I have to admit you do have a point there. If it fell into the wrong hands it could be used to create germ warfare/biological weapons. It could also be used in other elements of war too I guess, but then again, nothing is stopping that from happening now, and if some crazy dictator is working on this sh!t then it would be wise for our countries to keep up!

Another problem is if less people are dying, then there's more of a risk of over population. So yes, it's not without it's flaws and risks, but based on my knowledge (which is limited I admit) I would still take the chance.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The catch is that it means "killing" unborn foetuses and has been declared as immoral.

In my opinion, a foetus has no experience of life, no emotions, no attachments, no family or ambitions, and will not even experience any pain from the procedure.
There is an overwhelming lack of evidence there is anything as the human soul. I would highly encourage anyone to read the book Spook: Science Tackles The Afterlife by Mary Roach. Awesome read.

Destroy as many embryos as you want and none of them will care; they don't have the capacity to 'care.' I'm a true believer that stem cell research has amazing potential and it is a grave travesty there is opposition. Embryos are going to be destroyed anyhow, why not use them for the betterment of humanity?

I have seen arguments put forth particularly by religious fundamentalists that adult stem cells show much more potential, but a major article in TIME magazine a few weeks back pretty much laid that myth to sleep. Mainstream scientists hold the consensus that both types, adult and embryonic, should be researched to maximum its potential.
Religious groups are protesting that man shouldn't play God.
Yeah and since when have they been right about the universe. "Don't play God" is rather a moot point.

:up:

BrotherAP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Religious groups are protesting that man shouldn't play God.
That's why religious groups also don't believe in life-saving procedures such as heart transplants, bypass surgery, reviving legally dead patients using electric paddles, or even vaccinations. Right?

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I am all for stem-cell research and personally I agree with EVERYTHING the original poster said. I personally also believe that religion is a hindrance ot society when taken to an extreme such as this. However it can bring people together as well. Still, I would happily eradicate religion if that was called for to bring forth medical/stem cell research.