Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Squatting without a rack

Pimp101

Don Juan
Reaction score
For my squats, I'm clearing the bar off the floor, lifting it over my head then placing it on my back, doing the squats, lifting it back over my head and then putting it down. I'm maxing out at 100lb (I weight 130) like this and want to improve it because I feel that my legs can lift a lot more. Money is an issue at the moment so I can't afford a rack. I've also read about front squats but my shoulders are too small to support the bar without it cutting circulation across my neck (maybe I'm just using bad form?). So my question is what exercises can I do to make clearing the bar easier? Will military press work? Is there anything more effective?

WTID

Don Juan
Reaction score
Work on shrugs and presses to build up traps and shoulders this will help prevent the bar from digging in as you will have more muscle in that area.
Try adding in cleans this will also give shoulder mass + if you have no rack up the volume lots of reps possibly up to 100,You can still gain like that if you are a beginner

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep doing what your doing you may not be aware but all those movements you do just to get the bar on your back will build a pretty good upper body foundation over time.

and yes military presses will get you stronger making it easier for you to get the bar on your back.

if your looking for variation on your leg exercises try doing 20 - 30 rep squats with 100lbs.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stack stuff up on either side of you, enough to get under a bar in the "low" position of a front/back squat. This should only be 3-4 feet elevation, so anything will work.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
google hack squats

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd get a rack, dude. Go over to espn.com and check out what happened to Stafon Johnson. That will make you take safety seriously when lifting weights.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can clean and press the maximum amount of weight you can handle, then squat for max reps...like 20 or more. Or, you could go to a grocery store and ask them if you could get some plastic milk crates. Stack those up and rest your weight on there.