Sharp Pain Under Left Rib Cage When Jogging

OfficeSpace

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been jogging home after school to my house (about 5 KM)... I have noticed when I am around 1/2-3/4 of the way home, I have to slow down because of sharp pain under my left rib cage! When I take a breath in, the pain gets really sharp! But if I hold my breath, I don't feel any pain!

Some people tell me it's because I probably don't excercize enough! Although I don't see why because I do a lot of running like for basketball and I play a lot of sports! And even the kid who doesn't jog or do any sports, he didn't complain about any sharp pains when he went jogging with us one day, just for fun...

Sometimes the pain is on the left side, sometime it is on the right side (but mostly on the left)...

It has really been annoying me, because my basketball team-mates only complain about their legs getting tired after doing a long jog... I however don't get easily tired in the legs, just these pains!

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're cramping. Drink more water, not just before you run but the night before and throughout the day. I find that if I eat then run within an hour I cramp up. Also stretch more. However part of it is due to your lack of excercise. Albeit you might be active, running is obviously new to you so your body is still adjusting. It will go away after a couple days but untill then I know it can be pretty painful. If it gets so bad you can't ignore it walk and put your hands on your head to releive pressure from your lungs and other organs.

OfficeSpace

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks... I have been wanting to increase my endurance during basketball.. But basketball is basically a fast break, then you play defense then run to offense, so you get a couple seconds of break! But constant jogging at a fixed pace, My goal is 15 km without stopping! I'll take your advice on stretching and drinking water!

Thanks bro!

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a "side stitch." The consensus is that you can exercise through one without injuring yourself. I have read, but have not tried, the idea to control your breathing so that you exhale as your left foot hits the ground.

OfficeSpace

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
It's a "side stitch." The consensus is that you can exercise through one without injuring yourself. I have read, but have not tried, the idea to control your breathing so that you exhale as your left foot hits the ground.
One time I sprinted 3 miles and went through the pain because I had to get home since I left the stove on and I was nervous as hell! As soon as I got home it felt like I was having a heart attack because the pain was just so bad... I had to hold my breath and it took about 20 mins for the pain to go away!

I've done some research on google and I realise I'm not the only person that experiences these type of things! I've heard many different theories though! Things like eating too much, not eating at all, too little water... Oh well, I guess I'll just continue jogging because it's starting to improve.

I still experience pain but it's becomming less the more I jog!

rasha

Reaction score
I find that if I eat then run within an hour I cramp up. Also stretch more. However part of it is due to your lack of excercise. Albeit you might be active, running is obviously new to you so your body is still adjusting.

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to have this as a mid-late teenager except it would occur randomly too, not just tied to exercise (I didn't do any at the time). In my case it went away after I started being more active (more like active at all).