Self Depreciation

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I realize this will probably belong in the Tips section (and I might still move this there), but this is my "Home Forum" so I'll still launch from here.

One thing I'm becoming more conscious of recently is this attitude of self-depreciation that men (small M) will resort to as a means of engendering interest in a potential woman by attempting to play to her sympathies.

Case in point (posted with permission):

Subject:
My apologies for being a complete douche
Body:
I actually wanted to call and talk to you tonight, but I just moved into my new place today and lost track of time and now its after midnight. Anyways, I was a complete tool the last time we talked. I thought about what you said to me, and I really have been lame lately. I think back to our first couple of "dates", and I realize what a complete and boring reject I was. Those weren't so much dates as me trying way too hard to impress you as someone that was mature (bad word choice, but I dunno what I was doing) and not myself. Anyways, I now realize I need to get this pole out of my ass and start having fun again in my life. Which is why I have been in a drunken stuper for the last 2 weekends.

I hope we can start hanging out again, because I do enjoy your company. But I promise if we do, I will drink, relax, and not be such a wallflower. I also promise no more gay-ass text messages. I hate when people do that to me, so I can only imagine how retarded i look when I do it.

-allen
This was an actual email passed on to me from a young woman I counsel after she blew this guy off over the course of 3 dates, and is one of many emails and IM texts I've gone over time and again with with women. This is a textbook example of how men will resort to self-depreciation tactics in order to provoke an "It's OK, I understand" sympathy response from a woman with the expectation that she'll take 'pity' on him for being a "flawed man" and give him a second (or third, or fourth) chance.

This is a direct manifestation of men being socially conditioned to recognize their weeknesses, and by confessing them they will become strentghs, and ergo attractions (since they mistakenly believe that doing so will make them "not-like-OTHER-guys" and therefore unique). "You see? I'm really a sensitive, introspective guy willing to cop to his own character flaws, please love me."

I'm adding a new rule to the Iron Rules of Tomassi:

Iron Rule of Tomassi #9
NEVER SELF-DEPRECIATE under any circumstance. This is a Kiss of Death that you self-initiate and is the antithesis of the PRIZE mentality. Once you've accepted yourself as a "complete douche" there's no going back to confidence with a woman. Never appeal to a woman's sympathies, her sympathies are given by her own volition, NEVER when they are begged for. Even if you don't seriously consider yourself pathetic, it never serves your best interest to paint yourself as pathetic. Self-Depreciation is a misguided tool for the AFC, and not something a true DJ will ever consider.

That said self-depreciation is pervasive and something that I myself have been guilty of in the past. You have to be hyper-aware of it and unlearn it. You have to catch yourself in mid-sentence so to speak. Women operate in the sub-communications and when you OVERTLY admit to a lack of confidence you may as well just LJBF yourself. That's a strong impression you wont recover from. Women want a compitent, confident, decisive Man not one who's self-image is that of a "complete douche" or even a partial douche. I should add that when you become hyper-aware of this you can also turn it to your own advantage when AMOGing or you're working a girl with a self-depreciative BF or other suitor. It's all too easy to reinforce her estimation of a guy like this by covertly confirming it for her, while at the same time playing up your own confidence and value.

All of this is not to say that it's wrong to recognize your own weaknesses and understanding when you're in the wrong. It's simply how you go about addressing them that's the point. We had a thread here not too long ago about admitting when both of you are wrong and this got me to thinking about healthy ways of communicating this. There are plenty of way to assume the responsibilties of fault that aren't self-depreciating. The easiest way is to always adopt the attitude that you're 'getting better all the time'. This mentality fosters confidence and projects ambition, whereas self-depreciation shoves your nose in the dog sh!t and says "please love me anyway?"

Comments?

Bad_Lil'Pixie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
RT - Question, do you have a brief history on "Allen". A few things in his text has me wondering. He just moved, drunk each weekend, ....

Is he newly divorced?

How old (approx) is he?

Any recent traumatic events?

Is he an addict or recovering addict?

Not that these would be excuses, but it would be insightful.

I not real used to text from a "douche", well, one that isn't a troll.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look at BLP, taking pity in a "flawed man".

Who cares what Mr. Douche's problems are? He isn't facing them like a man, he's sniveling and apologizing for his... life?

*sigh*

I've done it myself. Oh, sorry, I've been grumpy lately. Look at all this pitiful stuff I'm dealing with... oh boo-hoo. Feel sorry for me and excuse me for letting my problems overflow onto you - please be my emotional tampon!

It's hard to see yourself doing it when you are doing it. I've been trying not to apologize for things to people unless I'm a complete azz and actually need to apologize. It seems to cut down the "I'm a supplicating wussbag" factor a lot. Well, it definitely saves a lot of breath.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[rant=on]
Is that guy from Minnesota or what? This type of behavior in both men and women is rampant up here; it's sickening!

"Please have pity on me for I am not worthy of your presence since I am such a lowly single cell organism who would be proud to be expelled via your nasal mucus!" :rolleyes: Pathetic....

Lack of authentic self esteem, that's what I say. Too weak to (wo)man up (without denial) and too approval seeking to feel comfortable if they disappoint someone....
[/rant]

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Geez, if that fellow's not clinically depressed, there's nobody who is ... he needs help.

Self-deprecation can only work when it's not really self-deprecation.

A punk rock musician joking about the "wretched noise" he makes is a different sort of thing. More a sign of confidence than self-deprecation. Or joking about certain flaws you have in a way that indicate you're comfortable with yourself, warts and all, or that said flaws don't matter.

On the other hand, if you really fvck up, sometimes the manly thing to do is just to own up, and apologize, with an "I'm better than that" underlying message, and no strings attached to to the apology.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:
Geez, if that fellow's not clinically depressed, there's nobody who is ... he needs help....
Anyone going to comment on who wrote the email? :p

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NEVER SELF-DEPRECIATE

That's not easy to do. I find that if I have to aim at being a vain jerk so that the result I get will yield the right push/pull compromise. The other thing that makes it difficult is that humilty really is a virtue. I don't mean low self-esteem, I mean knowing your own limitations and avoiding mistakes. But communicating that humility to a woman is probably where most guys go wrong.

One thing I have tried to do with near success is eliminate 'I'm sorry' from my vocabulary. If any apology is needed on rare occasion, it can be worded in a better way, "That was my mistake," etc.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
NEVER SELF-DEPRECIATEOne thing I have tried to do with near success is eliminate 'I'm sorry' from my vocabulary. If any apology is needed on rare occasion, it can be worded in a better way, "That was my mistake," etc.
Exactly. Less is more with apologies. "Oops." "My bad." "I hope that didn't hurt." My drill sargeant used to tear guys up when they would say "I'm sorry." He would tell them "You certainly are sorry: a sorry excuse for a soldier, drop! I want you to push Ft. Leonard Wood two inches below sea level! Don't stop pushing until I'm tired!" I used to love that sh!t.
:D
Anyway...
I only mention it because it rings in my head: the phrase itself is self-depreciating.
Plus, how retarded does someone have to be to think you actually meant to, say, step on their toe, or smack them in the face with the car door? Then, hold it against you because you didn't grovel for their forgiveness?

"You couldn've at least said 'I'm sorry'."
"Please. Do you think I meant to step on your toe? Come here and let me show you what it would feel like if I meant to step on your toe... No? Ok, then."

Bad_Lil'Pixie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Vulpine said:
Look at BLP, taking pity in a "flawed man".

Who cares what Mr. Douche's problems are? He isn't facing them like a man, he's sniveling and apologizing for his... life?

*sigh*

I've done it myself. Oh, sorry, I've been grumpy lately. Look at all this pitiful stuff I'm dealing with... oh boo-hoo. Feel sorry for me and excuse me for letting my problems overflow onto you - please be my emotional tampon!

It's hard to see yourself doing it when you are doing it. I've been trying not to apologize for things to people unless I'm a complete azz and actually need to apologize. It seems to cut down the "I'm a supplicating wussbag" factor a lot. Well, it definitely saves a lot of breath.

He just moved - does this mean he is a slight post-puberty youngun', newly out of the nest?

His text sounds like a run of the mill church basement AA therapy. The knock 'em down, show the errors of their way, then build them back up again...

Is he newly divorced and wanting to latch on to the first nippy he can grasp?

Where these folks FB from long ago and he's trying the up the anti?

AND, even the most alpha of them all can have soul-shaking events take place that can throw them off....

Far be it from me to actually want some background on the witch about to put on the stake and burned. *cough, cough*

I agree with the text, I agree with maintaining a high level of confidence and surety of self. But I am also free spirited or open minded enough to know the larger they are the harder they fall.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
.... chuckling @ Francisco's comment ...

Took me a second to get it, Francisco, but ... good one! :crackup:

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bad_Lil'Pixie said:
Far be it from me to actually want some background on the witch about to put on the stake and burned. *cough, cough*
Such compassion!

I only tried to divert back to the topic instead of letting RT's post get sidetracked by the example... as did Fd'A.

We see guys like that on here all the time, make up a story to fill in the guy's background:

He was orphaned at 2 and was raised by a family of raccoons. At 16 he was kicked out of school for stealing lunches out of other kids lockers and washing his food in the toilet before eating it. At 20, he got a job at a jewlery store. At 25, he just got out of jail: it turns out he couldn't let go of the shiny stuff. The place he just moved from was his jail cell. Nowadays, since he's so used to his raccoon ways, he's learned to beg for food from campers and learned to beg his potential mates for forgiveness after he knocks over their trash cans.

Ok, good, there's some background on the guy.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This guy is 27 y.o., never married, very financially stable, not addicted to anything, he's just an unrecognized AFC and lives in Florida (heh, that was funny).

I should add that I'm not advocating that guys never own up to mistakes or wrongs they do; you should appologize in given situations depending on the conditions and do so appropriately, however Self-Depreciation is another mental schema entirely. Humility is a virtue (up to a point), but it's simply not a virtue that a woman you're intereted in will ever fully appreciate and in fact conveys the opposite more often than not. Virtuous humility is no substitute for self-confidence. If you are already involved with a woman this appreciation may develop over time, but again this is only up to the threshold of you trading her estimation of your confidence for your ability to address fault on your part. When a woman delivers a sh!t test based on this, and a guy submits through self-depreciation it's damage done that's not easily undone.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All I know is this prize mentality/DJ stuff works. As noted many times, I was a ROYAL AFC in my younger days, a reformed AFC, and now I consider myself as always: a DJ in practice. I'm not there yet.

I used to apologize and do that stupid stuff and think women would come to comfort me. WRONG!! Always act like you're the prize, don't apologize for sh-t.

Also, a little off-topic here, but this DJ stuff just continues to work. I got a date with a very hot (much younger) than me gal. We're having a tough time coordinating our work schedules to go out. She e-mails me and asks if I could go out that night. Luckily (after reading Rollo and Pook on this board) I said that won't work and we'll have to go next week. She eagerly e-mailed me back, said she's looking forward to going out. Prize mentality: In the past I would been salivating like a dog and gone out that very night (which I did have open by the way); but I waited and wasn't eager. You really gotta look at yourself as the prize, it is ultra-crucial.

I'm just not sure why prize mentality isn't out there in the public outside of this board.

newbie81

Don Juan
Reaction score
Little addendum from my experience with my ex-gf (who was a feminist, independent crap women, search my posts).

When you do things women do not like or when you are not doing what the women wants you to do, she will use the same strategy on you: depreciation of you as a man.

Happened to me a lot that she wanted me to admit errors, she wanted me to feel guilty, she wanted me to appologize to her,... for reasons that were totally absurd.

Example: I have been weighttraining for 7 years. This women I only know for 1 year & she wants to make me drop my training so she can see me more. Of course weighttraining is my passion, so there's no way I'll drop my training for her.
So she tries to make me feel guilty: "I'm alone, you don't care about me, training is more important to you than me, you're not there so I went out with friends & took drugs because of you, bla bla bla etc..."

Basically: she wants you to use your emotions to think rather than logics. If you do use your emotions, you'll be lost.

Always use your brains.

-peace.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:
.... chuckling @ Francisco's comment ...

Took me a second to get it, Francisco, but ... good one! :crackup:
Ironic, isn't it?!! :whistle:

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
maybe he thought he would take responsibility for his actions on these dates by saying he wasnt acting like himself due to trying to act more serious OR maybe he was thinking if he said that then he could possibly score at least one more date out of it and have one more shot with the girl, im not sure.

i saw a comic on tv once say that for the first so many dates, people are seeing your self representitive instead our real selves. the one that goes in and impresses the date by selling themselves.
while this maybe true , and it is also true that we all want the other person on the date to like us enough to want to impress us, it is just one of those things that goes without saying, its a given.

once someone tells you they arent acting like themselves, it makes us think they have low self esteem. however, admitting to it should show us that we really have high self esteem and we arent afraid to admitt to mistakes. it usually doesnt get taken in the manner intended and leaves them out in the cold.

Sinistar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My two cents:

Self-Depreciation ==> Conditioned Response to Supplicate [Overtly].

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool name, Sinistar. Remember that game... SINISTAR!!!!!!!!! Kind of scary.

Anyhow, regarding self-deprecation. I used to do it a lot, but do it a lot less now. The funny thing is, I do it less now not because of some kind of conscious decision... but because it just seems wrong.

The more confident you are, the less you'll do it. Because all self-deprecation is is apologizing.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I do something wrong: "I admit that my behavior was out of place the other night. For that, I am going to appologize."

But many men go for the: "I was a jerk last night. I blame that to my poor childhood and my lack of experience with women. I am asking you to give me a chance to show you that I am worthy of your affection..."

See the difference? One is a Man that admits when is wrong...and leave it at that. The other is a wimp that self-depreciate himself.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Play to Win.

First off, I get the "idea" of what you present, RT, and agree with it.

Now, some thoughts on it and how to GET AROUND it.

IF YOU LIVE with intention, RARELY will you make a mistake. You make a mistake when you're sorry for the outcome. If what you DO is what you WANT TO DO, then there's no reason to apologize.

For instance, how often do women cry as the result of something a man does or says?

VERY OFTEN. But it's not a mistake or problem unless you did not mean to do what you did. Perhaps you told her you wouldn't be late, and you were. You were stupid for lying or making a false promise. However, if you had plans FIRMLY, and she around waiting on you, then it's her FAULT. Don't get worked up, no matter what.

My pal and I were having this EXACT discussion last night as it related to gf's. Most times, since humans are chock full of expectations, upset and anger occur as the result of unmet expectations. We needn't be a spot to SELF DEPRECATE, unless it's out of humor. That's why THIS is more than about women, it's about YOU.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't think of the last time I uttered such a phrase; maybe in my formative years in HS? Needless to say, a man LIVING out his MANLY intentions should not APOLOGIZE for his wants. Sure, we, as humans will inevitably F-up, but it doesn't require a LENGTHY response to set it right. If it does, the person isn't worth your time. The people you want to associate with will be "cool" enough to accept what comes. Your only duty is to be HONEST, TRUTHFUL, and PRESENT. If you mislead yourself or other's, the outcome will be bad, and you'll have to bear the burden of the results.

Here's another example. Guy (A) says he REALLY wants to see this girl, but he already told his friends he'd go to some party and drive. Figuring he'd just go with them and let them find their own rides, he drives over and ends up stuck b/c the guys get bombed and have no rides. Worse, he stiffs the girl, who he was hoping to lay, and either makes it over so lay she clams up on the sex, OR, never makes it over and spends his remaining moments thinking of what a F-up he is. It will often happen. What SHOULD have been his intented course of action?

Well, (1), He should have told his friends he wanted to see this girl, regardless of their reaction. He doesn't owe them anything. Unless this party is a best friend's, or annual bash, or family bash, he has no MANLY obligation. (2) He should be HONEST, to both himself and the girl, and identify HIS passionate INTENTION. If it was seeing this girl, DO it. If he couldn't see her, CALL her and TELL her, regardless of the outcome, "what will be, will be." If she's pissed over him supposedly blowing her off, forget her. He did the decent thing and called.

This happened to me nearly TWICE. With the same girl. I didn't feel bad, nor did I act like a PUPPY dog over it. The first time was with a BUDDY when I was trying to get with this young girl OUR first time. He wanted to be at the clubs since it was SUPPOSED to be his wedding date, but they'd called it off. He was sad that it came and went and "didn't want to be ALONE and wanted to socialize." He was going through some financial problems, so he had no car either, despite his HIGH class lifestyle. I drove and told him I didn't want to be there late. We ended up getting in a fight b/c I drove and wanted to leave by 10, then 12, and it ended up 2. I finally just left, he followed, and I dropped his arse off. I figured if this girl wanted to REALLY get down she'd be available and wait up. Sure enough, after buzzing her, she was still awake, although it was 3 by this time. We were going at it til the sun came up.

I rather figure with people, WHAT WILL BE, WILL BE. If any relationship or situation is SO tenuous as to rely on a few PERFECT phone calls or dates, I want no part of it, and need no part of it. The part of this, IMO, that it boils down to is...

1. Being Centered and Liking Yourself. Most Men are groping TO BE SOMEONE, because they aren't ok with who they are. Your interest aren't you, even if you're a FIGHTER. Just b/c you're a martial arts expert, you aren't any better or worse than anyone else. If you're centered, you can VIEW life and situations from a perspective of...does this make sense? How will this impact me? NON-centered guys always end up gravitating from one place to another, they flow into WOMEN's realities, and not their own. They're sycophants, and afc's, pandering to what women want, because they don't know what they want.

2. Act with Intention and Live in the Present Moment. Deal with current information on what can and can't be done. Act with assertiveness. ALWAYS. It takes some installing of beliefs here, if you aren't this way due to programming BUT IT CAN OCCUR. You have to be OK with or without WHATEVER it is you're dealing with to make the CORRECT decision.

3. If you make a mistake, own up to it. "Yes I made a mistake, but I made a choice and I stick to it." That's it. Your word becomes law. The more you honor your own word, the more other people, including women, will too. It doesn't matter if you make a mistake, SO LONG AS YOU OWN UP to it. It's like, if you plan a date, and the place turns out shytty...laugh about it, find a new one and move on. Don't beat yourself up too much, UNLESS you knew it would be shytty, and yet you did it for some desired effect. If you make right decisions, people will see that you live through your word and stand by it. But if you're making choices with desired effects and don't get them, you're going to like a fool and find your emotions scattered to the four corners of the planet.

Really getting to the core of this so it hardly happens, IMO, doesn't boil down to TIPS, but new beliefs and philosophy. Beliefs are the mental programs that drive habits. A guy who's done this before will do it again. And again.

Just live with intention of who YOU ARE, WHERE YOU ARE, AND WHEN YOU ARE, and stand by it.

A-Unit