Routine Rough Draft...

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm tossing together a new routine, and looking for some advice. This is still in the rough draft stages due to the fact that I plan on starting a new routine after X-Mas break.

Monday:

Squats 5RM
Leg Press: 3x8
Glute/Ham Raises:3x8
SLDLs: 2x6
Calf Raises: 3x12
Glute/Ham Crunches: 2x8

Wednesday:

Bench: 5RM
Incline: 2x8
Dips: 3x6
Military Press: 2x8
DB Extensions: 2x6
Calf Raises: 4x5

Friday:
Deadlift: 5RM
Pullups: 3x8
Bent Over Rows: 3x8
Upright Rows: 2x8
Incline Rear-Delt Raise: 3x8
Lateral Raises: 2x8
Glute/Ham Crunches: 2x12

As good ideas start rolling in, I will begin to edit this thing, keeping a "live draft" so to speak.

Last edited:

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Skilla whats your overall goal?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would add db shoulder press and weighted pull ups in there.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
all else equal the volume looks a little high...

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
all else equal the volume looks a little high...

Does! :eek:

Where do you guys get all the time? If I were to fit all that into my routine I would be about an hour late to work every day.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My workouts usually run about an hour or so, sometimes a little longer. This is mainly because of my big three, where I do a few warmup sets, and then take about three minutes rest in between.

I'm going to respond to ALL the posts so far...

EFFORT:
My main goal is to put on as much strength/power/explosiveness as I can before track season rolls around. Secondary goal is to put on a lot of size, mainly in my legs and back.

Spes: I can't believe I forgot pullups/pulldowns

Throttle:
Does the volume look high on EVERY day or just Friday? I agree that it seems high on Friday and that I should cut out a few, and find some more compound exercises to hit everything.

Insidious: The days I lift, I go in righ after school and have no engagements after my workouts. I could stay there all night if I chose to lol

**** I just edited the original routine. Added pullups, took a few things out on Friday.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In terms of strength/power/explosiveness do you mean for track? As for the size that'll come with the training for strength/power/explos assuming your eating enough, but would the size hold back your track performance?

As for the routine and this goes for anyone, a lot of people write a routine for mon-wed-fri and they do that same thing week in and week out. When i write routines for people i write out usually 8-10weeks worth of routine with all sorts of different lift rotations ,rep ranges, sets, etc. So basically what i'm saying is the following week you could do different variations for each lift, switch around accessory work etc...hmmm i don't know if i'm explaining this well....look here for some examples

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I got what you mean. Generally speaking I change things up workout to workout.Soemtimes I'll do 6 reps, sometimes 8. Sometimes I'll substitiute one lift for another etc.

As for the size interfering with track, thats why I'm worried more about my strength. Gotta get that power:weight ratio as high as possible. I'm thinking about adding the Clean in somewhere, just not sure where I should put it to maximize all my lifts.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
When i write routines for people i write out usually 8-10weeks worth of routine with all sorts of different lift rotations ,rep ranges, sets, etc. So basically what i'm saying is the following week you could do different variations for each lift, switch around accessory work etc...\
How do you judge progression?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless I'm misreading, I don't see any explicit core work.

By volume I meant both # of exercises and # of sets/reps. Most of the exercises you've listed for 3x8 but I think 2x5-8 (though you've implied that 8 really means 5 or 6 to 8) is more than adequate for most exercises.

You might be able to roll your shoulder work into one standing military press, unless shoulders are a key part of your track events. You might also experiment with pulling your shoulders back at the top of your deadlifts rather than a separate and explicit set of shrugs. (discussion from a year ago http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82919)

My concern is that doing everything on that list in an hour (esp. on Friday) might be essentially impossible with proper warmups (http://www.ironaddicts.com/Warm-ups.html)

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
How do you judge progression?
With max testing every 4-5 weeks

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
You mean you can't believe you forgot the pullups only??

pullups>>pulldowns

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112424

Yeah, thats what I meant lol. I forgot pull ups :)

Throttle said:
Unless I'm misreading, I don't see any explicit core work.
I tossed in some situps on the glute ham raise "machine", might even add some twists in there. This nails my abs and works it like a mother. Should I be adding more?
Also my workouts are limited to an hour, sometimes hits the 90 minute mark, or in between

***Edited routine again.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(this was gonna be from the condensed guide to growth but who knows when I'll finish that)

Routine

Ultimately the load on the bar is what’s going to make you get bigger (in a reasonable rep range) and the fastest way to a 500lb deadlift, a 400 squat, a 300 bench and barbell row, dipping and chinning with 50-100 around your waist, 200 on the military press, 150 on the bar curl, 150 skullcrushers etc is through a routine which still hits the muscles hard enough to induce a strength gain (which will translate into a muscle gain given sufficient protein intake, rest etc) but the volume which is low enough that you can recover and grow optimally before the muscle it hit again the next week.

I don’t think anyone on this board has any place doing a 5 day volume routine with dedicated arm days or nonsense like that, unless they’re on drugs, or already advanced (240lbs+ and hell, -I’m- 240lbs+ and I still do a routine like this).

Basic 3 Day Routine (sets x reps)

Monday – Legs
Squats 2 x 5
Squats 1 x 15-20 (choose a weight you can get about 10 reps with and grind out 15+)
Posterior Core* 2 x 10-20
Weighted Situps (flat or decline) 2 x 10-20
Calf Raises 2 x 10 (on the second set, hold the negative for 10 seconds)

Wednesday – Chest
Incline Press (Dumbbell or Barbell) 2-3 x 5
Dips or Assisted Dips or (Flat) Dumbbell Press 2 x 10-12
Seated or Standing Shoulder Press (Dumbbell or Barbell) 2 x 8-10
Skullcrushers or French Press 2 x 10-15

Friday – Back
Deadlift or Rack Deadlift 2-3 x 5
Chinup or Assisted Chinup or Pulldown / Dumbbell or Barbell Row 2-3 x 8 (alternate each workout)
Bicep Curl (Dumbbell, Barbell, Preacher, EZbar whatever) 2 x 8-10
Forearm Curl (Hammer, Wrist, or Reverse) 1-2 x 10-15

Posterior Core (choose one of): Good Morning, Stiff Leg or Romanian Deadlift, Glute Ham Raise, Sumo Leg Press, Reverse Hyperextension, Pullthrough. (Standing/Lying Leg Curls are okay but these are superior). Alternate two or three exercises if you like.

Abs are listed every day but as long as they get done 2-3 times a week, it’s fine to skip them one workout. They can also be done on off days.

Obviously you may need to add exercises as you go along such as more core work or hip work, laterals if shoulder width is a problem but for most guys I'd have them start off on this basic template.

Where you have an option for number of sets choose the higher number ONLY if your recovery is good or a certain bodypart isn’t progressing as fast as the rest. I would start out conservatively at first if you’re not sure (or if you push heavy weights).

DON’T go to failure every set. If you miss the last rep of your last set that’s fine but going to failure on every set will kill your recovery unless the volume is further reduced.

Rest between each set as long as you feel you need to. Obviously you’ll need more rest between two sets of a 400lb deadlift than you would between 70lb skullcrushers.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
I tossed in some situps on the glute ham raise "machine", might even add some twists in there. This nails my abs and works it like a mother. Should I be adding more?
ah, that's the part I wasn't understanding. no, that should be plenty.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
damn, wba, that looks a lot like my routine :D

though I've dropped bicep curls to test the theory that squats & deads grow big arms -- so far, so good!

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just realized I didn't have any curls...

How are the arm gains going without them?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have not done a bicept curl since may, and my arms are going good. Pull up and rows provide all the bicept work you need.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know bicep doesn't have a t right?