Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Retail girls?

dutchmaster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the Don Juan skills, but I've been practicing and am slowly reaching the point of becoming one. I went shopping for jeans a few days ago and decided to stop by American eagle to see what they have. A girl around my age, (19) maybe a year or 2 older came up to me asking for help and what not.. That's a given, but I began flirting with her and initiating kino a little. I was getting positive responses from her. Whenever any other customer came in she would ask them if they need help then quickly come back to me after they said no or she was finished helping. So I wasn't sure if it was her just using her sex to try and get me to come back to the store or she was genuinely interested. Just curious if anyone has similar situations with girls working retail. Would like to know if they have a genuine interest when doing things like this or just want you to come back to the store. I ended up not trying to number close her.

joverby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dutchmaster said:
I'm fairly new to the Don Juan skills, but I've been practicing and am slowly reaching the point of becoming one. I went shopping for jeans a few days ago and decided to stop by American eagle to see what they have. A girl around my age, (19) maybe a year or 2 older came up to me asking for help and what not.. That's a given, but I began flirting with her and initiating kino a little. I was getting positive responses from her. Whenever any other customer came in she would ask them if they need help then quickly come back to me after they said no or she was finished helping. So I wasn't sure if it was her just using her sex to try and get me to come back to the store or she was genuinely interested. Just curious if anyone has similar situations with girls working retail. Would like to know if they have a genuine interest when doing things like this or just want you to come back to the store. I ended up not trying to number close her.
That's why you had to make this thread. You or anyone else will NEVER know unless you try to push things further.

Alex DeLarge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Retail workers always have to be friendly and welcoming. It's part of their profession. I worked in this area for a bit, and also work in restaurants serving. I had a ton of creepy old women hit on me, I just role with the punches for a good tip or not getting my ass fired.

But don't consider any of that. You would've known when you number closed her (like Joverby said). I suggest you go back and do it. Who cares if it seems desperate... Just do it. If she says no, then NEXT.

dutchmaster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Now that I think back she could have been hinting me at number closing by telling me that blackberries suck.. Oh well. Can't go back in time, gotta just learn from it. Thanks guys.

Been recently number closing any girl I met at school just to help over come approach anxiety, even if I have no intention of calling her.

Alex DeLarge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dutchmaster said:
Now that I think back she could have been hinting me at number closing by telling me that blackberries suck.. Oh well. Can't go back in time, gotta just learn from it. Thanks guys.

Been recently number closing any girl I met at school just to help over come approach anxiety, even if I have no intention of calling her.
Dude, just go back and shoot some conversation at her again and NC her, I've done it before.. I'm sure you can too. That's good that you're approaching girls at school.. Pretty tough for me haha.

dutchmaster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I go to a school that's about 65% girls. I would be an idiot not to ha. Literally anywhere you turn you can weed out at least 1 6+ to talk to.

If I'm at the mall again sure, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to nc her.

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I wasn't sure if it was her just using her sex to try and get me to come back to the store or she was genuinely interested.
She wanted to make a sale.

Just curious if anyone has similar situations with girls working retail.
Every single man in history.

Would like to know if they have a genuine interest when doing things like this or just want you to come back to the store.
Take a wild guess.

I ended up not trying to number close her.
Wise man.

For chrissakes leave women alone when they're working. They just want to get through the day without being fired, get their paychecks and go home, same as everybody else. They're paid to be nice. Please don't resort to flirting with people who are paid to be nice to you and then think they're somehow interested in "more." It's like guys who get a lap-dance from a stripper and then ask for the stripper's phone number. Ridiculous.

oxford comma

Don Juan
Reaction score
Zarky said:
She wanted to make a sale.

Every single man in history.

Take a wild guess.

Wise man.

For chrissakes leave women alone when they're working. They just want to get through the day without being fired, get their paychecks and go home, same as everybody else. They're paid to be nice. Please don't resort to flirting with people who are paid to be nice to you and then think they're somehow interested in "more." It's like guys who get a lap-dance from a stripper and then ask for the stripper's phone number. Ridiculous.

i disagree. just because she is paid to be nice doesn't mean she is going to flirt with a guy. working in retail doesn't mean you're getting commission necessarily, i doubt she cared at all if he was going to buy anything or if he came back to the store. comparing a girl that works at Abercrombie to a stripper isn't even close to being the same thing. Strippers are paid to flirt with you, retail workers are paid to smile at you and ask if you have any questions. also, you seem to have a weird view of what its like to have a job when you're young. She was probably glad a guy paid her some attention, especially if he's cool. The girl sounded like she was digging him, should have got the number for sure.

Demonpenz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
doesn't hurt to go for a number close, I have gotten some before and got dates, but you can tell if a girl is really into you if she writes it down. Like I had a girl print out a reciept write her name on it and give it to me with her number. Girls can get fired for that kind of stuff.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My suggestion: Don't listen to Zarky. Go try for her number. And any other cute girl in retail, or anywhere else.

I've gotten numbers from girls in retail, and I'm sure many others here have too. Doesn't hurt to try.

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oxford comma said:
just because she is paid to be nice doesn't mean she is going to flirt with a guy. working in retail doesn't mean you're getting commission necessarily, i doubt she cared at all if he was going to buy anything or if he came back to the store. comparing a girl that works at Abercrombie to a stripper isn't even close to being the same thing. Strippers are paid to flirt with you, retail workers are paid to smile at you and ask if you have any questions. also, you seem to have a weird view of what its like to have a job when you're young. She was probably glad a guy paid her some attention, especially if he's cool. The girl sounded like she was digging him, should have got the number for sure.
Funny, I disagree with every single sentence of what you wrote. How old are you buddy? I can't count on my fingers and toes the number of times retail chicks have flirted with me to make a sale.

But this is the rule: Leave women alone when they're working. It's pathetic and annoying to hit on sales girls, tellers, clerks, waitresses, bartenders, strippers, or anyone whose livelihood depends upon having to pretend to like your sorry ass. Have enough balls to talk to chicks who aren't being paid to interact with you.

Only young guys and pathetic losers break this rule. And young guys hopefully learn not to break it after looking like pathetic losers the first couple of times they do break it. The OP is 19, he will learn. He should also learn not to take advice from guys with no experience ;)

thekhris

Don Juan
Reaction score
Go back there again. do the same stuff that you did, Buy somthing, ask questions, flirt and kino ( but this time crack some simple lame jokes ) and if she is still showing she is friendly, smiling, laughing like always getting back at you after another customer. Tell her, hey you seem friendly and nice to be with, I think were gonna jive. Is there any way for us to get to know more formally? normally she will reply 1.) What do you mean? 2.) Sure

Any of the two just respond with:
1. Ask her number?
2. Wanna grab some pizza after your work?
3. Ask if she cares to have a cup of cofee after her work.

MAKE IT SURE RECOMMEND SOME PLACE THAT WILL DEFINITELY MAKE HER FEEL SAFE. Like the nearest restaurant, cofee shop, movie house, park near to her working place. But one way or another fthe point is focus on making her feel safe with you if your gonna ask her if theres any chance that both of you can know each other more formally.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zarky said:
Funny, I disagree with every single sentence of what you wrote. How old are you buddy? I can't count on my fingers and toes the number of times retail chicks have flirted with me to make a sale.

But this is the rule: Leave women alone when they're working. It's pathetic and annoying to hit on sales girls, tellers, clerks, waitresses, bartenders, strippers, or anyone whose livelihood depends upon having to pretend to like your sorry ass. Have enough balls to talk to chicks who aren't being paid to interact with you.

Only young guys and pathetic losers break this rule. And young guys hopefully learn not to break it after looking like pathetic losers the first couple of times they do break it. The OP is 19, he will learn. He should also learn not to take advice from guys with no experience ;)
Not that I'm trying to fight oxford comma's battles, but I had to share my thoughts here...

I don't think oxford could have been any more spot on. I find it odd that you disagree with everything he wrote. What do you think 19 year old girls care about? Boys, boys, boys. American Eagle employees do not make commission, and the sales have zero outcome on their pay. She gets no greater benefit if he comes in and buys $500 worth of merchandise, than if he came in and stole a shirt (assuming its not a huge problem at that location). Her job is to see if customers need help, and to fold clothes. They get bored as hell at those places, and she showed obvious signs (if the OP is not exaggerating them).

Saying it is a "rule" not to hit on anyone at work is just ridiculous. I've gotten a number from a cashier at J. Crew, I got a number from a girl at a mall kiosk (who was on commission), and I have multiple friends who have gotten numbers from girls in retail. In fact, I have a friend who just got engaged to the girl who sold him a couch 2.5 years ago. Of course there are times when it is highly inappropriate to hit on someone at work. A 19 year old at American Eagle is not included in that.

I appreciate you calling my friends and me a pathetic loser for getting numbers from girls you seem to claim are impossible to get. You are telling him to take advice from guys with experience instead. Who is more experienced than people who have tried it and had it work? Age is not everything...

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Should have gotten her number anyways.

2. Zarky is right though, in that these girls are paid to be nice, ask you questions, seem interested and upbeat and a lot of guys mistake that for flirting with them. The only way you can truly find out whether she is genuinely interested was to push it further and at least ask for a number.

While I'm sure people can find some anectodal evidence of retail women dating or marrying men they sold things to, you have to realize women in retail "flirt" with every single guy that walks in the store, and if it's a store like Abercombrie or American Eagle it's actually a lot everyday.

Case in point when I go to Abercrombie and Fitch with my sister, the guys working always try to help her out & the women in the store try to help me out. "Sex" sells, always has and always will. The only way to find out that she was flirting genuinely is to push it and ask for a number. Otherwise you can't really know and all talk is really just hypothetical BS.

oxford comma

Don Juan
Reaction score
Zarky said:

im 27 and ive worked retail many times. you being old doesn't help your argument, it hurts it because you seem to be very out of touch with young people. the girls i worked with couldn't care less about making sales and liked being distracted by guys. Of course, if the guy is a creep they don't like it, but that applies to every situation. If YOU were more experienced I think you would realize that you can hit on girls in literally every situation if you have tight enough game. You only look like a "pathetic loser" if you don't know what you are doing, which I'm guessing by your cynical attitude towards hitting on girls, you don't.

oxford comma

Don Juan
Reaction score
i should also mention that ive dated a stripper that i met while she was working. she told me that she initially started talking to me because she wanted me to pay for a lap dance, but then after talking to her i became more than a customer to her and she gave me her number.

P

perseverance

Zarky is wrong! As someone who worked in retail and has retail experience I can tell you that it is possible to pick up girls in retail shops. I have never done it, because I never mix work with pleasure and as someone who hates shopping I try and go into a shop and come out with what I want in a relatively short space of time. I have seen guys going up to my former female work colleagues, chatting them up and slipping them their number. Also my female work colleagues would often sit around in our staff room talking about guys they've approached/seen in the shop and likewise us men would do the same about the women that came into our shop.

I've flirted and had women flirt with women while I was in retail, but I only saw it as a bit of fun and never took it further, but I suppose if I wasn't so concerned with being "professional" and "not losing my job" then I could have easily gotten a couple of number closes.

As for strippers, my friend spent around £1000 on a stripper in multiple visits within the space of the week and he got laid several times out of it, so you can score with strippers as well, you just have to either have great game or spend a small fortune on them. :crackup:

dutchmaster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys, seems like I should have nc'd her Oh well. Learning experience.. Just happened to stumble upon an 8.5s facebook status who works at abercrombie *****ing how theres no hot guys that walk in for her to talk to.. Guess it's more than making the sale after all

jocca

Don Juan
Reaction score
I actually have to agree with Zarky on this issue. Have worked in retail a bit in the not to distant past and the first piece of advice I got given from the manager was to flirt with as many girls as possible. Having said that, despite not being paid on commission we were assessed on the amount of sales we ran through it may be different elsewhere though of course.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jocca said:
I actually have to agree with Zarky on this issue. Have worked in retail a bit in the not to distant past and the first piece of advice I got given from the manager was to flirt with as many girls as possible. Having said that, despite not being paid on commission we were assessed on the amount of sales we ran through it may be different elsewhere though of course.
So all of the guys here claiming they, or someone they know, got numbers and dates (and engagements) from retail girls are wrong? It can't happen? Interesting...