Old lady didn't recognize Jay-Z

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not knowing Jay Z is actually pretty cool.

Not that he's a bad guy or anything but being that disconnected from the crap he makes and the general crap in pop culture is pretty cool.

Even though I know they're often lying when hipsters tell me "I don't even own a TV" I act impressed because, if it's true, I am.

gringoverde

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re-upload on the video

Here is an updated link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIJeW4caUZU
(The last link got pulled for copy-right reasons.)

As far as the lady not being "plugged into pop culture," I think that most of us wouldn't imagine seeing Jay-Z on the train even if we met someone who looked or acted like him. She might even recognize his music, but just not have watched enough music videos/interviews to know his face.

gringoverde

Don Juan
Reaction score
switch said:
*does not know Jay-z*
*does not recognize billie holiday*
....speechless at his own ignorance
My area is known for artsy counter-culture. People, including community guys, pride themselves on not knowing about sports, celebrities and popular music. I've been saying that we should try to learn about these common interests to give us material to talk about in set, especially if we are going for party gals. What do you think? Should a guy keep his ignorance or educate himself about mainstream culture and thereby dilute his uniqueness>

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
artsy counter culture guys going for party gals...

the fuq?

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gringoverde said:
As far as the lady not being "plugged into pop culture," I think that most of us wouldn't imagine seeing Jay-Z on the train even if we met someone who looked or acted like him. She might even recognize his music, but just not have watched enough music videos/interviews to know his face.
It seems like it bothers you a little bit that she might not recognize him. For what it's worth I have never listened to a whole Jay Z song all the way through on purpose, I likely pass by anything on the television with him being interviewed, and don't even listen to his type of music. I would absolutely recognize him if I saw him, especially if we were on camera, and definitely if we talked. This lady didn't and she's better off than me for it.

My area is known for artsy counter-culture. People, including community guys, pride themselves on not knowing about sports, celebrities and popular music. I've been saying that we should try to learn about these common interests to give us material to talk about in set, especially if we are going for party gals. What do you think? Should a guy keep his ignorance or educate himself about mainstream culture and thereby dilute his uniqueness>
Game artsy counter-culture girls.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Who the hell is Jay-Z?

Sounds like one of those names you'd hear on Maury or Jerry Springer.

Shanieequwa wants Romangelo to admit to being Jay-Z's father.

Americans seem to assume that everyone else on the planet really gives a fuq about hollywood. I'm much more familiar with people like T-ARA, SNSD, MBLAQ, F.CUZ, S.H.E, Orange Caramel... bet most of the people here wouldn't know who the hell they are despite their near godlike status in Asia.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't recognize him either, but I'm one of the few people here who isn't a middle aged wigger.

Marvin Gaye

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Negative thoughts down the drain just relax, let t
College wigger checking in, Jay Z is awesome and one of my idols. I really admire the exchange between him and that woman. A really soft and mature side of him but he seems soft spoken in interviews.

I find it pretty amusing that people pride themselves on not knowing about rap or hip hop culture...did not know that was something people choose to feel good about.

I agree with Burroughs' statement about counter culture guys gaming party girls. Lol doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but that's just my opinion.

Really to you guys who hate rap and new music, new styles and media culture, good luck with your anti social goals of 2012. My opinion, people need to realize that Kanye West, Jay Z, all the other dudes are the new Beatles and rolling stones of today. You need to get with the times and see the good in this music and lifestyle. Not just so people don't think you're a social retard when you're "proud of not knowing about rap" but so you can appreciate culture.

Idk just my opinion, I think it's cool to see how music has evolved and how it's evolving, my thinking is that the people who hate it are the minority and no one cares about them, lol.

Hopefully you guys also know that Jay-Z is a major entrepreneur and business man, he's doing pretty well for him. Probably doesn't mind any of the negative opinions we hold towards him anyway lol.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My opinion, people need to realize that Kanye West, Jay Z, all the other dudes are the new Beatles and rolling stones of today.
:cuss:

Idk just my opinion, I think it's cool to see how music has evolved and how it's evolving, my thinking is that the people who hate it are the minority and no one cares about them
Rap isn't really evolving. I've never been a huge fan but grew up with it and even a non-fan can tell it used to be much better.

Plus rap is not nearly as popular as some people like to point out.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/188910/us-music-album-sales-by-genre-2010/

Obviously cool people prefer rock, R&B, Alternative, Country, and Metal over rap. I know I do, save metal.

gringoverde

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, FairShake, it bothers me that this old lady doesn't recognize Jay-Z. It's like she think that she's better than the rest of us or something. I understand not being plugged into pop culture, but she'd have seen the cameras with him. You'd think that she'd at least have the courtesy to ask for his autograph!

I like artsy counter-culture girls. My favorites are crazy Latina gals. However, as a Seattle activity organizer, I've found it's easier to get a group together to sarge a night club that an art gallery. Also, I haven't gotten nearly as many make-outs at art galleries and social dances as I have at night clubs.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gringoverde said:
Yeah, FairShake, it bothers me that this old lady doesn't recognize Jay-Z. It's like she think that she's better than the rest of us or something. I understand not being plugged into pop culture, but she'd have seen the cameras with him. You'd think that she'd at least have the courtesy to ask for his autograph!

I like artsy counter-culture girls. My favorites are crazy Latina gals. However, as a Seattle activity organizer, I've found it's easier to get a group together to sarge a night club that an art gallery. Also, I haven't gotten nearly as many make-outs at art galleries and social dances as I have at night clubs.
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. People like you are why America is such a celebrity d!ck worshipping country. Who gives a fvck if not everyone recognizes or cares for jayz's photograph, the fact that it bothers you....lol

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gringoverde said:
I assume (hope?) you're kidding.