Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

No spotter?

Cil

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright thanks to the advice I recieved in my last thread i've decided to try out the Rippetoe program. My only concern is I go to the gym alone and for bench press and squats i'd have no spotter. Anyway to still be able to to the exercises safely? (remember I am just a beginner and with only 5 reps instead of 8 i'm assuming i'd need to up my weights and over-estimating myself has happened before but on machines where it didn't matter much if I couldn't complete a rep)

Also is it advisable to do cardio on my rest days (tuesday, thursday) or will the extra calorie burning be counter productive to my attempts at bulking up a bit?

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Light cardio (15-30 min) is fine, but if you are trying to bulk up no sense in burning extra calories that could be going to anabolic processes.

It also depends on your current shape.

For safety do your squats and bench in the power rack with the pins set appropriately---at a height that will save your butt if you dont make a lift. If your gym doesnt have a power rack find a new gym.

Cil

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks thats the perfect solution, i'm 99% sure my gym has a power rack and I guess i'll find out tomorrow for sure.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
For safety do your squats and bench in the power rack with the pins set appropriately---at a height that will save your butt if you dont make a lift.
+1

That's what I do. For squats, I put the pins just below where the bar is at the bottom my squat, so I can dump it if I get stuck.

For the bench press, I move a bench into the rack and set the pins just under where the bar is when it's touching my chest; that way if I get stuck I can de-arch my back and set it on the pins.

jocca

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never actually had a spotter. Makes the progress slower but also makes you more form concious and leads to less injuries imo as your less likely to try for an egotistical Pb

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How does it lead to slower progress if you use a rack? If you fail just set the bar on the pins.

I personally hate spotters standing right behind me while I'm squatting and dangling their balls in my face while I'm benching. I'll take the rack over spotters any day.

jocca

Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't say it did. I said I've never used spotters.

Pie in the Sky

Don Juan
Reaction score
I usually do dumbbell bench press instead of barbell since I workout alone, but if you are determined on doing barbell bench press, don't use the barbell clamps. That way, if you get in trouble you can dump the weight on the bar off to the side. Sure, it will make a loud noise and the whole gym will be staring at you, but it is better than dropping a damn barbell on your chest.