New optical disc holds up to 200 Terabytes of data, could revolutionize data centers for enterprise storage

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Scientists have come up with an optical disc that holds 200 Terabytes!!! worth of data that is the same size as a DVD.

Completely revolutionizes enterprise storage as these discs can now be used to hold huge amounts of data that would have required a high capacity data center previously.

Called a Very Big Disc(VBD), they have a lifespan estimated at 50-100 years...

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Scientists have come up with an optical disc that holds 200 Terabytes!!! worth of data that is the same size as a DVD.

Completely revolutionizes enterprise storage as these discs can now be used to hold huge amounts of data that would have required a high capacity data center previously.

Called a Very Big Disc(VBD), they have a lifespan estimated at 50-100 years...

Ingenious name.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All this sh1t is advancing way too fast without proper foresight or oversight. If there are nefarious agents ruling over us, this is something they would applaud.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. As I'm a Shift Manager in a Data Center, I find information such as this, to be interesting.
I guess the key will be what is the access time to locate files or data on the disk since it is so large.

If it's not really fast I doubt it takes off.