Martial arts guys help me out

italostud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't remember if I got this link from this site or another one:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-25-150/

I was reading up on some stuff. Mostly the basic groundfighting and stuff like that. That's the kind of stuff I want to learn. Usefull stuff, not the praying mantis crap from Karate or whatever(ok, so i don't know much about martial arts). What kind of martial arts would give a good, all around teaching of useable fighting techniques like the ones in the link(minus all of the bayonet kind of stuff).

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
praying mantis is a type of kung fu. Martial arts are considered sports, so you dont want to do martial arts, you want to do somthing like krav maga which unlike the others is not considered a sport it is considered self defence.

It is supuosed to be very good, it is taught to the israeli defence forces (where it was developed) and police forces aswell as police forces in the USA and other countries.

It is suposed ot be extremly good but you will find it very difficult to find a course near you, sounds like your best shot would be taking up kick boxing.

italostud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phoenix_of_the_ashes
I suggest you never label something as "crap" and admit to being ignorant in the same post.
Hah, I was a little drunk when I wrote that post.

Yeah, I've heard about Krav Maga for a couple of years now, maybe I'll look it up in the yellow pages. I'd just like to learn practical fighting techniques. I can throw a punch pretty well, I've studied boxing a bit, but groundwork mystifies me. After reading some of the basic groundfighting in that link, I'm excited to start learning more. After all, most fights go to the ground anyways. Those arm bar and choke techniques in that link look like they could end a fight in a hurry.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After all, most fights go to the ground anyways.
This is incorrect and is something most grapplers say to newbies. If you've never taken a martial art in your life, and you're fighting another scrub who doesn't know how to fight, then yeah, it will probably go to the ground.

Now, suppose you have been taking muay thai for several years. You will learn hundreds of combinations involving kicking/kneeing/elbowing/punching, you will learn proper knockouts, you will learn proper clinch fighting to ensure that the fight never goes to the ground. And during this whole time, you will fight in the ring, and learn how to apply this knowledge. Long story short, the fight WONT go to the ground if you know what you're doing.

Grappling is good in a 1 on 1 setting, but how many fights are 1 on 1? Say you are fighting some guy, and got him in an arm lock, and then his friend sees it, comes over and kicks you in the head until you pass out. In muay thai, once you get higher up in the school, you will start learning 1v2 and 1v3 combat fighting and applying it in the ring.

My point is, unless you're planning on going to the UFC, forget about grappling. Learn how to be a striker, and the fights wont go to the ground.

Bradshaw

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MindOverMatter
My point is, unless you're planning on going to the UFC, forget about grappling. Learn how to be a striker, and the fights wont go to the ground.
I agree with this 100%.

If you are in a caged in area and it is 1 on 1 fighting then you should train:
-70% grappling
-30% striking

If you are talking about fighting in the street then you should train, plan for, and expect:
-10% grappling
-90% striking

Avoid the ground at all costs in the street.

italostud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay. So what do you guys think of Krav Maga? It seems to be what I'm looking for. I was also thinking about muay thai. Maybe some muay thai and then judo for groundwork? Maybe I'm getting carried away.

Krav Maga vs. Muay Thai. Anyone knowledgable want to compare the two for me?

Reaction score
You should train 50% striking, 50% grapling. You never know where a fight is gonna happen. Be it in a house or in the middle of a street.

italostud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I found a Krav dojo in my town. I'm going to go check it out sometime this week. They said I can just come and take a class to see if I like it.