Irony's a b*tch: my canned material is now completely useless

abcd_z

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Before I start, let me just say this: I'm good with canned material. I'm not quite where I want to be in terms of skill, but I'm much better than I was two years ago. I understand how the parts all fit together, and I've got enough material to get me laid several times over. In fact, it has. So it's not the use of canned material that's the problem. If you think otherwise, please don't post here, I really don't care to hear it.

The problem is, I'm at Jobcorps right now. It's a place out in the middle of nowhere with 4 guys for every girl, in a closed environment. And I have made a conscious decision to not run any of the material that I've honed to perfection. Let's face it: how many times can I adopt somebody as my little sister before it gets stale, or other people start recognizing it?

So I made a vow to myself to avoid any romantic or sexual relationship with any of the young women here, simply because of the potential for drama.

The problem is, I'm now aware of the social dynamics at play. I want people to respect me as an alpha-male, which would be a piece of cake if I could rely on my material. I'd just hijack the conversation with one of my IVDs or time-tested stories, and control the entire encounter. But I can't, or rather won't, use any of it. And so I'm forced to sit back and watch as other people, not reliant on such routines, take the stage.

I want to hone a new set of skills now. I'm not entirely sure what that skillset must now be, or how exactly I'm going to hone them. I'm thinking spontaneous storytelling, less aimed at displaying value and more aimed at just expressing myself. That, and perhaps a ****y and funny frame. Those are really the only things I can come up with that can be used on a constant basis without causing problems or running out of material.

I am determined to rise to the top, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about this. Can any of you guys help me out here?

Thanks.

-abcd_z

P.S. I won't be able to respond to this post until the next weekend, because of the Jobcorps restrictions on computer usage. Just FYI.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
abcd_z said:
Before I start, let me just say this: I'm good with canned material. I'm not quite where I want to be in terms of skill, but I'm much better than I was two years ago. I understand how the parts all fit together, and I've got enough material to get me laid several times over. In fact, it has. So it's not the use of canned material that's the problem. If you think otherwise, please don't post here, I really don't care to hear it.

The problem is, I'm at Jobcorps right now. It's a place out in the middle of nowhere with 4 guys for every girl, in a closed environment. And I have made a conscious decision to not run any of the material that I've honed to perfection. Let's face it: how many times can I adopt somebody as my little sister before it gets stale, or other people start recognizing it?

So I made a vow to myself to avoid any romantic or sexual relationship with any of the young women here, simply because of the potential for drama.

The problem is, I'm now aware of the social dynamics at play. I want people to respect me as an alpha-male, which would be a piece of cake if I could rely on my material. I'd just hijack the conversation with one of my IVDs or time-tested stories, and control the entire encounter. But I can't, or rather won't, use any of it. And so I'm forced to sit back and watch as other people, not reliant on such routines, take the stage.

I want to hone a new set of skills now. I'm not entirely sure what that skillset must now be, or how exactly I'm going to hone them. I'm thinking spontaneous storytelling, less aimed at displaying value and more aimed at just expressing myself. That, and perhaps a ****y and funny frame. Those are really the only things I can come up with that can be used on a constant basis without causing problems or running out of material.

I am determined to rise to the top, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about this. Can any of you guys help me out here?

Thanks.

-abcd_z

P.S. I won't be able to respond to this post until the next weekend, because of the Jobcorps restrictions on computer usage. Just FYI.

Jobcorp near Sedro Wooley? Yeah my brother went there, the place blows. I think you got the idea. Just be confident and talk to people whether they be girls or dudes, cool or nerds, hot or ugly...just strike up conversations and generally be friendly without coming off as a pushover. And you basically do that by dropping in a ****y line every now and then.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
abcd_z said:
And so I'm forced to sit back and watch as other people, not reliant on such routines, take the stage...
You've nailed why running lines will not get you very far when compared to a guy who is comfortable going off the cuff. Your lines are limiting you. Albeit anecdotes and stories are fine and good once you introduced yourself and gained mutual rapport and interest, lines alone will only get you as far as the first intersection and you'll have no idea which direction to take.

So here's your opportunity to learn the art of two way conversation. This is also known as interaction which relying on canned lines don't allow you to authentically do. So what is the problem you are having which made you rely on canned material? It's probably not approaching nor confidence (per se), so what specifically are your stumbling blocks from being as engaging as the other guys?

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Canned material, routines, techniques, tactics are all a bunch of crutches.

Develop yourself into being the kind of man that woman are attracted to.

thirtyplus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like you've built a nice mental box for yourself :)

Ultimately I think it's a good thing though (as others have alluded to). Now begins your learning of spontaneous "game" -- authentic interactions, which are 1,000x stronger than "canned" game anyway.

Good luck. Welcome to the Real World.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
The problem with guys who use or are dependent on "canned" material, is that they may have escaped the "social" matrix, but now they are a prisoner of the "community" matrix.

Snow Plowman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
RSD is where you want to be for natural game. Also learning juggler method could help with free flowing conversations, same with "the-approach".

The thing is to just know the techniques and come up with you're own stuff. Come up with you're own push/pull, or IVDs, etc. An you can also use same material it really wouldn't matter. It's more about your non-verbals than the actual words. I've done the body guard roleplay to the same girl about 3 times. I have my own wife roleplay that I use on the girl every time. It really doesn't matter. But try to not use canned as much and if you want to use routines, then learn juggler method that way you have free flowing conversations and just throw in a routine here and there.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Derek Flint said:
The problem with guys who use or are dependent on "canned" material, is that they may have escaped the "social" matrix, but now they are a prisoner of the "community" matrix.
A community of one no less... Sad....

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
You've nailed why running lines will not get you very far when compared to a guy who is comfortable going off the cuff. Your lines are limiting you. Albeit anecdotes and stories are fine and good once you introduced yourself and gained mutual rapport and interest, lines alone will only get you as far as the first intersection and you'll have no idea which direction to take.

So here's your opportunity to learn the art of two way conversation. This is also known as interaction which relying on canned lines don't allow you to authentically do. So what is the problem you are having which made you rely on canned material? It's probably not approaching nor confidence (per se), so what specifically are your stumbling blocks from being as engaging as the other guys?
I still totally disagree with you an the value of running lines. Running lines if done correctly can get you all the way into bed and having a great treasure chest of lines lets you have a base from which improv can be built from. Every great magician and performer practices their routines many times before going before people because if they just winged it off the cuff like you suggest, they'd be doing 100% improv and increase their chances of fvcking it up or missing an important step.

Improv is where you play two-way and feed back her questions but having a backup plan to keep things flowing works if you spend time with it. I think too many people are too proud and unwilling to admit they use canned lines or repeated phrases during approaches. If IT WORKS, repeat it! Great artists dont force themselves to use a different technique EVERY time they paint. Sometimes they do the same type of brush strokes and blending patterns and overlays on several great paintings.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
I still totally disagree with you an the value of running lines. Running lines if done correctly can get you all the way into bed and having a great treasure chest of lines lets you have a base from which improv can be built from. Every great magician and performer practices their routines many times before going before people because if they just winged it off the cuff like you suggest, they'd be doing 100% improv and increase their chances of fvcking it up or missing an important step.

Improv is where you play two-way and feed back her questions but having a backup plan to keep things flowing works if you spend time with it. I think too many people are too proud and unwilling to admit they use canned lines or repeated phrases during approaches. If IT WORKS, repeat it! Great artists dont force themselves to use a different technique EVERY time they paint. Sometimes they do the same type of brush strokes and blending patterns and overlays on several great paintings.
So you're saying that you believe that you need to be an illusionist in order to pick up women?

abcd_z

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm: Thank you for being the only person here who backed me up on the value of canned material.

Francisco: That's not what he was saying and you know it. You intentionally misinterpreted what he said in order to cut it down. Go you.

Snow Plowman: Actually, about half of the material I use (well, used) was original.

Francisco, Derek flint, and thirtyplus: You can all suck on my sweaty nutsack. Canned material is just as useful as spontaneous, does not exclude spontaneous where appropriate, and in many cases can get you better result than going improv.

Having said that, I can't use my canned stuff here. I was well aware that most of you guys would disagree with my use of it, but I was hoping for some useful advice about switching to spontaneous.

Instead, all I got was "canned material sucks" and "just be confident".

Thanks you guys, that helps a lot. :down:

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
abcd_z said:
You can all suck on my sweaty nutsack.
So how many nights did you stay up to come up with that canned line? You are obviously way too talented for the likes of us.... Hemingway would be proud.

G-Theory

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm no expert that's for sure, but I'm working on it.

So far from what I understand and am experiencing, the biggest obstacle is simply the approach and opening a woman up. After that you just let your personality shine (if it's not shiny then you may need to polish it up).

But anyway, the approach without any canned openers is simple, you just have to pay attention to detail.

That being said at this stage (at least in my game) it really doesn't matter what you say as long as it isn't what the chumps are saying (i.e. you are beautiful, you have beautiful eyes, blah blah, etc.)

You: (Notice HB wearing a pink shirt and approach) Hey I love the shirt, it reminds me of my favorite pair of underwear that exact same color...
HB: uhhhh...*lols - did he just say my shirt reminds him of a pair of under shorts?*

Just pick something out and bust on her about it, piece of cake.