Investing and stocks for dummies

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wanna start investing. But, Where do i start?

Some things that I am contemplating;( please correct me if i am wrong)

1. Pick out gaints. McDonald's, coca cola ect.

2. Pick out up and coming companies

3. Stick with known investors such as sp500 types of companies

4. Get automated programs to help out

Your thoughts gents?

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Definitely look into Wembanyama. Dude had 10 stocks last week in half a game (24 minutes).

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ETFs like $SPY $IVV $VOO track the S&P 500 index. The S&P 500 index beats most funds, despite competing against professionals. That and reading "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" can give you a foundation to start investing.

Vantagepoint34

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Employee of Wendys with a time machine or have started a business during obama worth eighty million .

6) written a novel in crime fiction

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wanna start investing. But, Where do i start?

Some things that I am contemplating;( please correct me if i am wrong)

1. Pick out gaints. McDonald's, coca cola ect.

2. Pick out up and coming companies

3. Stick with known investors such as sp500 types of companies

4. Get automated programs to help out

Your thoughts gents?
If you are asking this question, I am assuming you have very limited/if any experience investing. Noting wrong with this, but be honest with yourself on your abilities. I would automate as much as possible because it take years to even start to be able to manage your emotions and have any sort of edge. Markets are made to transfer money from the inexperienced to the experienced. Only you can determine what type of percentage allocations and risk you are comfortable with and there are a lot of variables on age, starting capital etc. Do you want to just set it and forget or are you willing to commit thousands of hours and decades of time to understand what you are doing?

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are asking this question, I am assuming you have very limited/if any experience investing. Noting wrong with this, but be honest with yourself on your abilities. I would automate as much as possible because it take years to even start to be able to manage your emotions and have any sort of edge. Markets are made to transfer money from the inexperienced to the experienced. Only you can determine what type of percentage allocations and risk you are comfortable with and there are a lot of variables on age, starting capital etc. Do you want to just set it and forget or are you willing to commit thousands of hours and decades of time to understand what you are doing?
I am fairly unfamiliar with this indeed. But I also sense that I am severely missing out.

I'd say I rather learn about it asap. I geusss I'll start with an automated system , and yet use some money to speculate.

Great comment about inexperienced vs seasoned investors .

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am fairly unfamiliar with this indeed. But I also sense that I am severely missing out.

I'd say I rather learn about it asap. I geusss I'll start with an automated system , and yet use some money to speculate.

Great comment about inexperienced vs seasoned investors .
Most people who claim to be "investors" get their a$$ handed to them and probably lost money. The ones actually making money are not bragging about it on social media or selling courses/newsletters etc. There is really no rushing the process because a lot of it comes down to experiencing different situations and market conditions. Fast is 10yrs instead of 20yrs to never. If this is not something you are obsessively passionate about just automate or like you said just use a small percentage to play around with. One thing I do not see mentioned enough enough as well is if you do not have serious capital, like 500k+, you would be much better served on spending that time trying to increase your income to increase your automated investing. If you do not have a lot of money it is really not worth your time and you are probably going to be taking too much risk chasing a meaningful return. 10% on a million is meaningful, 10% on 10k is not. It is a good process to start though and most of us started at the bottom

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
@Gamisch It is better to experiment now, with less money. You should also compare yourself to the S&P 500. You can buy 1 share of $SPLG for $54 and compare against that.

Deranged

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you have adequate time and interest to invest in this? Or should you just hire and advisor?

Reaction score
Automated monthly investing to ETFs. In addition to ETFs following sp500 I would also suggest to include some that follow MSCI WORLD -index, thus you would get some geographical diversification.(especially good if you live in US yourself.)

With ETF:s you are already ahead of most active investors. Google "efficient markets" if you want to learn why.

You might not get lambo this way, but when you save&invest enough it will give you much more options in life and really help you stress levels. First 50k to 100k will net you quite a lot piece of mind and confidence from it.

After setting this automation, start to learn investing, you already had a good suggestions for reading. In my opinion understanding macro-economics and following what happens in there is really important if you run a business or even work in a somebody elses business.(this covers most of us)

I agree that your return on time invested is much greater pushing your career forward than trying to beat algorithms in daytrading. I just think that understanding investing will make you better at understanding how business works and this will improve your career in wide variety of jobs.

Vantagepoint34

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Automated monthly investing to ETFs. In addition to ETFs following sp500 I would also suggest to include some that follow MSCI WORLD -index, thus you would get some geographical diversification.(especially good if you live in US yourself.)

With ETF:s you are already ahead of most active investors. Google "efficient markets" if you want to learn why.

You might not get lambo this way, but when you save&invest enough it will give you much more options in life and really help you stress levels. First 50k to 100k will net you quite a lot piece of mind and confidence from it.

After setting this automation, start to learn investing, you already had a good suggestions for reading. In my opinion understanding macro-economics and following what happens in there is really important if you run a business or even work in a somebody elses business.(this covers most of us)

I agree that your return on time invested is much greater pushing your career forward than trying to beat algorithms in daytrading. I just think that understanding investing will make you better at understanding how business works and this will improve your career in wide variety of jobs.
Great! leave a machine or the Mafia to do the work for you? You'll not just be down ten percent most of the time. Day trading is more like gambling. Maybe in Nineteen ninety four you would have the Lambo (silver). Feeding the scam big companies, big pharmm. I'm the govermentworker in this almanac..

Apply for that business and last thing you get is a paychecc

Reaction score
Great! leave a machine or the Mafia to do the work for you? You'll not just be down ten percent most of the time. Day trading is more like gambling. Maybe in Nineteen ninety four you would have the Lambo (silver). Feeding the scam big companies, big pharmm. I'm the govermentworker in this almanac..

Apply for that business and last thing you get is a paychecc
There are two different aspects here:
1. How on earth could total beginner get better long term risk adjusted return after tax than automated investing into well diversified accumulating shares of exchange traded index funds?
It sure as hell isn't going to happen by stock picking with WSB. I'm quite certain that he will beat 90% active investors by that move alone.
The idea is that after taking this one and only free lunch, OP should start learning

2. The totally different aspect is sticking the middle finger to the corrupt elite of this world even though it means financial loss.
This is of course something that is really great to encourage other people to do, but not follow your own advice. I wouldn't consider this as a sound financial advice.

Vantagepoint34

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Would be called WSJ magazine. Most of the time we can find magaine like archicture digest. It's not that hard to remember. Feels like Entrepreneurs' digest. Closest find here is (enter state here) directory

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Agree with this, always good to try and understand the big picture and having macro data points/understanding helps you make the micro decisions in your life. Vast majority should should go the safe route. Most do not have the aptitude, commitment, experience, time, risk appetite and discipline to get outsized returns. People today have become so delusional through a combination of social media, crypto, meme stocks where they legitimately think an overnight 1000x is normal and going to happen for them. They want to make a living as an investor with a couple grand. In my opinion, they are doing it backwards. You have to graduate to the investor class through decades of learning, experience, hard lessons and asset accumulation.