Imdb movie ratings

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Probably one of my favorite websites to look at movie ratings and actor/actress filmography lists.

I know their movie ratings are done by everyday people, but I noticed the ratings seem to be a bit harsh at times.

As you know, IMDB, follows a 0-10 movie rating score.

For example, some solid good movies (in my opinion) might only receive a score of 6.5 to 6.9

My Imdb movie rating scale opinion is the following:

Under 5.0---Atrocious and don't even waste your time

5.0 to 6.0---Average, maybe some good parts, but ehh overall as a film or series

6.1 to 6.9--Above average and entertaining, but not considered a solid good movie or series

7.0-7.5- A solid good movie or series

7.5-7.9
--A very good movie or series

8.0 and above--An excellent movie or series and in rare company

Thoughts?

6.1-6.9--Pretty good movie

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to look at IMDB in the 00s as a guide to help decide whether a movie was worth going to the cinema to look at. Between 2002-2004, I had a very strong young-adult movie phase where I frequently visited the cinemas. My decisions on whether to watch movies was from that site, plus the advice of the movie clerk (who often was a nice lady that I would like to chat with and use that as the premise of talking with ehr).

In the age of streaming, and current times, IMDB is one of the many references, along with RT and video reviews about movies on youtube.
If a movie is good, then it will be video reviewed by Grade Randolf, Chris Stuckerman, Jeremy Jahns, Dan Murell, Looper, Watchmojo, and occasionally even Rotten Tomatoes. Non-spoiler video reviews about movies help convey the experience of watching the movie and some concept of what to expect.

If I do not have time to look at those video reviews, or it's a new series/movies on a streamer, then I'll glance at it. If it's a higher than 7-rating and has solid scores then I'll put it on a watchlist or consider re-watching a movie I didn't click with. That being said, there are some nice-watch and fun-watch movies, where I might like a particular actress, director, atmosphere, or theme within the movie, or just want to watch something mind-less, and I may have a great personal experience watching the movie despite the fact the score might be low. Sometimes you just want to watch something for fun, not look at a masterpiece all the time.

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Movie ratings are cool to look at it but I take them with a grain of salt since you have no idea how you will like or not like something based on other people.

Some people gave it a 3. Others have it a 9 and others gave it a 5. Where you fall on that scale is impossible to know before you watch it because it's individualized for each person.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I find IMDB ratings to be pretty accurate to my tastes.

If you want a pretty cool way to sort for movies, check out reelgood.com

They list all the movies and TV shows on all streaming services, and you can sort them by IMDB ratings.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Movie ratings are cool to look at it but I take them with a grain of salt since you have no idea how you will like or not like something based on other people.

Some people gave it a 3. Others have it a 9 and others gave it a 5. Where you fall on that scale is impossible to know before you watch it because it's individualized for each person.
Exactly. One of the things I do with IMDB, is if I really did not like the movie, I'll look at individual reviews in reverse (ie lowest rating first), and see what they wrote about it and see if it reflects my sentiments about the movie. Also if a movie had a low-score but I really digged it, then I might look at individual reviews in the order of the higest ratings to see if their writings resonate with my experience of the movie.
Usually there is some resonations with how I'm experiencing a movie with how others are exeriencing it in this way.