Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to get better conversation skills

nimfajoy

Reaction score
Hello,
I work at a marketing firm where presentation skills are required.
Meetings occur frequently and I need to speak freely and confident infront of people. There is no place for anxiety and nervousness which I totally get, but of course cannot fake. This is something I want to work on, and wondering if you guys can recommend any online resources or real life training you have done and like? Thanks!

Otherwise it's all good! Thanks for the help.

Anton

Juan Don

Don Juan
Reaction score
if at the firm you have to talk in front of 10 people that will be the same through out your career try talking to each one of them one on one and you won't feel so nervous after having a rapport with them when you are not giving a presentation. this helped me when i had to take a public speaking class. even just getting to know a few would help lessen your anxiety and nervousness.

colleges offer public speaking classes so you can try take one of those. it helped me

also you can practice talking with strangers

VincentNew

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not sure if that's what you're looking for:
Check out Conversationland, they do online communication skills coaching.

Good luck!

VincentNew

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not sure if that's what you're looking for:
Check out Conversationland, they do online communication skills coaching.

Good luck!

nimfajoy said:
Hello,
I work at a marketing firm where presentation skills are required.
Meetings occur frequently and I need to speak freely and confident infront of people. There is no place for anxiety and nervousness which I totally get, but of course cannot fake. This is something I want to work on, and wondering if you guys can recommend any online resources or real life training you have done and like? Thanks!

Otherwise it's all good! Thanks for the help.

Anton

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a Client Relation Manager aka a glorified Account Manager. I manager relationships with existing accounts at my firm. I grow usage by meeting with senior level people at investment banks, Law firms, PR firms, etc.

If you're not naturally confident which i wasn't, you can always acquire a skill set through experience. I started being horrible at public speaking but now i speak infront of large groups (well) and small groups perfectly.

For me what makes it alot easier is practicing my speech. Although i have a canned speech ready for each type of client i'm visiting which makes it easier, i repeat those canned speeches over and over again. They i think of every relevant question they can ask me and i come up with a good response to it. I practice those as well.

For any question i'm really not sure about, i tell them straight up. "Honestly, i'm not too sure about that. I will get back to you on it." Then i go and take their contact information down and seek the answer and give them a response.

It's the worst to fake an answer both because most of the time you can tell when someone is lying and because you're also lying to a client.

Not sure what the extent of your marketing position entails but my job requires me to make sure our clients understand the benefit of our product and are using it. So i know for a fact that they will benefit from meeting me. I've met with managing directors of investment banks that are at the highest possible position in the firms and are listed on their website. These guys make millions of dollars. The reason anyone accepts to meet with you is because it will be of benefit to them as well.

Remember that business is a two way street. I'm passionate about helping people so i use that to get over my anxiety.

"I ask questions like, what would you like to see in our product?" Then if we have it, i show it to them.

"Well did you know you can actually find that information through xxxx."

"Anything we don't do that you'd like to see? I've actually never heard that before and i'll definitely let our product development team know at our next meeting."

Always practice open ended questions as they will lead to conversation. If I didn't have these questions prepared i would have made a very awkward Account Manager. Luckily i improvise and aim at overcoming my weakness's and now i'm one of the top if not Top performing AM in securing meetings and hopefully renewals (coming up soon).

---------------

Also instead of worrying about becoming a more confident speaker, try to focus on the situation your addressing in your speech and do that well. Confidence comes with being able to do your task well IMHO. When your confident you can help someone, then the speech pertaining to that becomes confident as well.

Last edited:

shizz702

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Read frequently. Workout, not really related to conversation per se, but will still help build confidence. And speak to strangers whenever possible, even if just for small talk.

Reaction score
Yeah focus on going out and possibly taking a public speaking course
like Toastmasters. Ive been there once (only spoke 2 minutes tho) and its awesome. Never tried out Conversationland but it would depend on the skills of the coach.

See ya

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The most effective way is to - shocker i know - actually go out and have conversations. Talk to random strangers, and slowly your conversation skills will build. If you need a more structured approach, try the boot camp.

women haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you played Elder scrolls - Skyrim yet? well there is a skill tree in the game called speech...
You know how you increase speech? you keep on continuing to talk to people learn to persuade, Intimidate, sell etc

Ask interesting questions get people to give you responses and then feed off of that energy....

I am getting better at it, but it's still hard for me. I can tell when i'm too out going and people look at me annoyed..

you also have to know when to dial it down

VincentNew

Don Juan
Reaction score
2 ways: Offline Toastmaster
Online Conversationland.net

Taken from their homepage:

Get Rich for Being Cool Online

Competitive conversation battles with the audience deciding the winner

Watch recent $ battle conversations on YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmFgNykB0E&feature=related

Get started
www.conversationland.net

-Double up your money in 15 minutes
-Make 5 conversations for 3 minutes each. win 3 of 5 to double your investment.
-Everything is for free
-Satisfied with our service?
-Then step up your game by talking for money
-Invest 10 and win 19$
-Or invest 50$ and win 95$
-We organize conversations for your $ limit
-Watch conversation examples on youtube

ImWithTheDJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
good post. I used to have social anxiety but just recently got over it. I realize that I love talking to people and enjoy a nice conversation with anyone. Gonna check out toastmaster to improve my public speaking skills.