How to dress in college?

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well in san jose's defense...short sleeve button ups work if ur 40 and over : ) then it jus looks like ur rich and relaxed

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bluesteak said:
Do NOT pop the collar on your polo shirt, people will call you a homo :crackup:
When I used to see freshmen with popped collars around campus, I would walk up to them, fold their collars down, smile and tap them on their shoulder. Some of them would give me the most frightened looks. :p

Columbia

Don Juan
Reaction score
Some days to college I wear a plain, long-sleeve, button up, coloured shirt (purple, burgundy, vibrant blue or vibrant red) and a black tie, with black jeans and some b&w adidas gazelle runners. I get complimented on it all the time.

Other days I wear a plain, long-sleeve button up black shirt, with a coloured tie. Same jeans and shoes. I don't get complimented on this very much but I like it, so whatever.

The rest of the days I wear one of my dozens of grey or black tshirt with some colourful design on it, black jeans and either the regular shoes, or pink, black and white Double-Identities. I get complimented on this a lot, especially the shoes. In fact I've searched everywhere to find a new pair of those shoes, and cant. Not even online.

I think a lot of people would look dopey dressed like this, but it fits my character pretty well. The lesson is, learn what you like, and wear it.

Corona

Don Juan
Reaction score
San Jose California said:
As I said I prefer unbuttoned so neither of those apply to me. Nice job deliberately making the long-sleeved picture a way better color in order to make the short-sleeved one look more dull, by the way. When I see that blue one I think of all the douchebags in clubs that wear long-sleeved, striped button-ups thinking they stand out when they don't even realize that everyone is wearing the same thing.
Whatever. Your insecurity in the clubs has nothing to do with this.

I don't need to point out the irony here. Well, actually I do. I just did, because somehow you failed to realize the hypocracy in that sentence. Spoiler: just wear a short-sleeved instead of rolling up the sleeves, you dolt. Besides, they always slide back down and it gets annoying to keep having to do it over and over again.
Look up the definitions of irony and "hypocracy" before you start talking, genius. Long-sleeve shirts are more versatile -- you can wear them when it's warm, or you can wear them when it's cold.

If you know how to fold the sleeves properly, which you obviously don't, they stay in place.

I love people who suck at arguing so much that they have to completely change around what the other person is saying in order to prove their point. I said I own a couple that look good on me, proof being that I had someone at a restaurant compliment me on it. I don't refuse to wear a shirt because it's Hawaiian; I wear what looks good on me. Shouldn't it be like that with everyone? Everyone seems to be aware of this stereotype that nerds wear short-sleeved button-ups, but I've never heard of it. Is this stereotype still true if he wears it unbuttoned?
I love people who don't admit that they have a horrible fashion sense, and are probably nerdy virgins. Who cares if it's buttoned or unbuttoned? All I'm saying is that they're more versatile and interesting than a boring short sleeved solid button up, no matter how they're worn.

I also love it when I try to talk to someone man-to-man over PM and instead he tries (and fails) at calling me out on the forum.

You got a lot of growing up to do, little boy.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I don't even know why I bother with this bullshit site anymore. Well, fuck it, wear your short sleeve plain t-shirts and pocket protectors. I'm through trying to help you.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Abercrombie and Hollister are for high school teenie boppers.

Affliction and Ed Hardy have some decent t-shirts if you really care that much about brands. I tend to notice that guys who wear all that trendy crap are almost always trying way too hard. In my opinion, theres no reason to shell out the big bucks on a T-shirt with a bad ass logo unless you're a certified 'bad ass'.

Some guys tend to think that if you set yourself way apart from the crowd, you'll get attention. Unfortunately, you don't always want to attract that attention.

What you wear doesn't make or break. Your actions are what will ultimately make and break you.

You know what seems to work well?

Dressing just a little above everyone else. You don't have to rock a sports jacket to class. You don't have to wear a button down and dress pants to the club all the time.

I find that if you wear something classy and set yourself apart a bit, women find it comforting. You aren't totally out there, but you do set yourself apart from the crowd in one way or another.

Jeans, a button down with an undershirt, and some casual shoes never fails. Leave the baggy jeans out. You don't have to go out and buy a $140 pair of jeans, but at least make sure you're not walking on them. Unbutton those damn top buttons too, no one likes someone who's tight up. If you like, throw on a nice watch. Hell, if you like throw on a necklace if it makes you feel better (and I'm not talking about those stupid high school boy shell necklaces. That screams homo for all those who haven't made it to the real world just yet).

Polos aren't a bad choice, but then again you'll be matching with at least half the campus. I'll wear a polo once in awhile.

I rock a watch or some kind of jewelry all the time. Not really because I'm trying to impress anyone, but because I like it. I like to set myself apart just a little bit. I like to be able to tell the time without having my cell phone out all the time (you know those guys who will sit there and play around with their phone all the time.. yeah open up your horizons a little bit).

Bottom line is, there are times to dress to impress. Don't think so much into it.

Yeah, when I go to AC to gamble at a nice hotel I'll wear nice clothes. But other than that I really don't try too hard. Once again, it's not your clothes that will make or break your interaction, but your actions.

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
here is a better quote about the subject

getting to know girls = good way to get into their pants
when girls get to know you = good way for them to put you on their friends list

never reveal too much