How to dress in college?

Arizona iced tea

Don Juan
Reaction score
well i am going to start my first year of college in just over a week. lately i have been wanting to make a change of my wardrobe, but im not sure if i will look silly or not at my age. right now i pretty much dress in either polo's or t-shirts with basketball shorts or jeans, and that was fine in high school. but im going to school to be an entrepreneur and i want to look good. i want to wear what some/most would consider dress clothes as my normal look. im just worried that people (especially girls) might get the wrong idea and think im a nerd or uptight...

ya, i dont usually worry about what other people think of me too much, but when it comes to a big decision about my appearance like this i want to make sure i will be happy with the outcome.

anyway, thanks for any input.

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
change it up. Wear the basketball shorts one day, the next day wear a sports coat, the next day go with jeans, next day go with kakhis and a long sleeve white shirt with tie. Basically don't be the guy that dresses like a wigger/baggy clothe type every day but show that you can also be the formal type and wear a tie or a sports coat, thus you are not just a stereotype and have some variety to you.

mtlwlu

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I guarentee on your first day on campus, every single person is going be dressed to impress, girls will wear there shortest skirt and lowest cut top. I know this because Im entering my 3rd year and Im also on the orientation committee for first year students.

Personally Id avoid abercrombie/hollister, just because everyone will have that on thinking they're individuals when in reality they just want everyone to know they spent $40 on a t-shirt. I use to be that guy.

Try finding design/graphic t's online. Stuff you think NO ONE else will have, that way you stand out. Its a fun world youre about to entire, now is the time to change anything you want about yourself, new start new you. Go and get some P**** like never before. It really is as easy as the movies tell you in university lol.

Bigg Boss

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat excite I'm a sophomore in college. My first year was straight but my wardrobe was the same as highschool. Baggy clothing,etc.

But I've been building a new wardrobe. I been shopping alot at Express and Banana Republic lately.

Arizona iced tea

Don Juan
Reaction score
ya im going to express tomorrow. i never wear anything baggy. im in good shape and i like my clothes to fit. i worked at abercrombie for a few months, but i dont wear it much. most of my clothes came from stores like marshalls and old navy... but i need some nicer stuff.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wear nice new clean casual cloths that you will be comfortable in. The key is not to overspend and look like you are really trying to impress someone.

Its college, its normal for people not to have alot of money. You are better off working on your body and expending your social network by being friendly to everyone and invite them for drinks after classes.

DJVladdy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Id like to continue this thread - its a useful one.

...Express also, lol guess i'm not very original

what else is good?

Valdez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a thought. Think about what you think you look best in. Make that a reality. That's you.

terpguy82

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, actually I would avoid the screen print graphic tee's

The used to be unique, now they're just cliche in my mind. First day of school I would be in a nice button up, jeans, and Sandals. Especially as a freshman all your just graduated highschool peers are going to be all abercrombied out or just in tee shirts, go one step above but avoid being formal.

OH AND USE COLOGNE (Just not too much!)

One more tip, in college you get to reinvent yourself and learn from your mistakes in highschool. Get to class about 3 minutes before it starts, scope out the room and go sit next to the hottest girl who is sitting by herself because everyone else is too AFC to sit next to her. AND THEN TALK TO HER.

Last edited:

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In high school I use to dress like that, baggy jeans, basketball shorts, polos, etc. Then I changed it once I got out of high school with what people refer to as the typical white boy style, Aeropostle, American Eagle, Hollister, etc. I bought a couple shirts you would see in Metro Park (though not in Metro because they're too damn expensive) though they didn't really fit me as much as I thought they would, and a lot of buzzed cut guys like me that are asian are getting into it.

alphamailman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sitting rinside @ the AFC Lightweight Championship
I'm a 3rd year transfer, don't know many ppl here yet. I do get the feeling a ton of kids will also be wearing school colors on Monday (1st day classes) so I could wear non-school colors, easy way to peacock.

trd323

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Look at some pictures in guys fashion mags and pick a style that you like.Choose a few clothes and go to H&M or any inexpensive store and try to emulate that look. Also, if you can get a few girls opinion before you buy it that would be ideal. This is a great way to start a conversation at the store or in class. opinion opener.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bluesteak said:
Do NOT pop the collar on your polo shirt, people will call you a homo :crackup:

I repped you for that!

It's just not cool people...

Metaphysical

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dress as sharp and professional as you can without looking stupid. Always stand out above the crowd.

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i like to dress uniquely yet casual at the same time...so ill usually try to find a tshirt or somethin with a unique design or somethin funny. i hav this shirt that says "who loves orange soda???" and random people say stuff to me sometimes, its pretty cool lol

Corona

Don Juan
Reaction score
I got a pretty good fashion sense I've been told, and I'm in college, so maybe I can help you out.

Congruency is key -- try to get your clothes to match your personality, but like Joe said, it's a good idea to mix it up to keep it fresh and so people don't stereotype you.

If you're athletic you can get away with the t-shirt/basketball shorts look once in awhile. Just don't always come to class looking like you just came from the gym.

I like screen prints, and I don't think they're at all played out because I get compliments/looks while rocking them a lot of the time. There's so many different kinds that you can find some that match your personality very well. Band shirts, funny shirts, interesting patterned shirts, throwback shirts, etc.

It's good to have some nice button-ups (long sleeves ONLY, roll the sleeves up if you need to ... no solid colors, either), but if you wear them a lot, people might think you're trying too hard to impress them. They layer over screen prints pretty well, too.

Don't dress any more formally than a button up unless you're going to an interview or internship. Otherwise you'll really look like a tryhard.

The polo/rugby look is pretty played out. Wear em once in awhile if you got them, but don't buy any if you don't have any.

Mix in some sports stuff like jerseys from your home teams, just to show them where you're from. Also, shirts that show what you do in your off time (say an And1 shirt if you play hoops) also help express your personality.

Pants ... who cares. Wear whatever matches. Jeans work most of the time, but it's always good to have a pair of khakis too.

Shoes ... some brown/black leather casual (not dress) shoes compliment almost everything as long as you're not wearing shorts. Sandals are OK in the summer, but make sure they're leather/cloth and not cheap and plastic looking. Clean white athletic kicks are also timeless classics.

In the end, it doesn't matter that much, anyways. Come October, you'll see kids rolling to class in their pajamas.

619joe

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I usually go sports style and it fits my persona but whatever you decide go do it.

Shirt-Alot of guys here like to wear the Affliction or Christian Audiger or Ed Hardy shirts and it just looks waaaaay to try hard.Wear bright coloured shirts.I sometimes like to rock classic Bryant jersey so just do what you like

Pants/Shorts-I suggest not wearing basketball shorts.Man I used to be like that and now that I see it,doesnt go too well plus if you have nice athletic legs,bball shorts arent the best way to go.Cargo/Camo shorts are way to go_Or jeans

Shoes-I think some Pumas are definatly killer

lazikia

Don Juan
Reaction score
terpguy82 said:
One more tip, in college you get to reinvent yourself and learn from your mistakes in highschool. Get to class about 3 minutes before it starts, scope out the room and go sit next to the hottest girl who is sitting by herself because everyone else is too AFC to sit next to her. AND THEN TALK TO HER.
What if she moves away to a different row as soon as she sees you're sitting by her?

Corona

Don Juan
Reaction score
San Jose California said:
I cannot express how wrong you are with this. Short sleeved, plain button-ups, ftw. It just makes more sense. Why? Because wearing a long sleeved button-up looks like you're wearing it to keep warm, and in that case, just wear a fvucking jacket. Short sleeved people admit that they're wearing it for the looks, which is the truth. The reason for a plain color button-up is because: admit it, you can't express yourself in more than one color at a time on a shirt. Designs are okay I suppose as I have a few Hawaiian button-ups of my own.

I also agree with leaving the button-ups unbuttoned, but that's not as big a deal to me as people who wear striped or plaid. Seriously, if you wear striped or plaid you're a fvuckin psycho. No matter how much you think, you're not expressing yourself through that striped or plaid button-up, especially striped.
No offense, but a plain, short-sleeved button up screams "COMPUTA' SCIENCE NERD RIGHT HERE LADIES!" :woo:

If you don't believe me, ask some girls.

Long-sleeve button up shirts are more fashionable and versatile. You look like a big boy if you can fold up your sleeves on a warm day. Patterns and stripes are interesting and add texture.

I mean, is there really any comparison between the fashion taste of something like this compared to something like this?

Come on man, you obviously don't have a fashion sense -- you think fuckin' Hawaiian shirts look cool! :crackup:

Fellas in the know already know what I'm talking about.