"Hit the Gym" - Why?

spinaroonie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Playing the devil's advocate here...

"Hit the gym" is the most popular bit of advice to any guy seeking help with women. And I agree, bang for the buck it's the quickest, most cost-efficient way to get women on your d*ck.

Night after night at the gym I see the same dudes lifting massive weights, lifting weights, downing protein shakes, roids etc. After years of this most of these dudes look good. No doubt these guys are getting quality pvssy, and no doubt these guys wouldn't be at the gym otherwise. But most of these guys also work crap jobs.

Now I can't help but wonder if these guys exerted the same degree of patience and discipline towards hitting the books, getting degrees, paying taxes, and contributing something of value to society, that we can't all be benefitting more from a macro-societal perspective. But being a law-abiding, taxpaying cubicle-dweller is "boring" and "beta" - and doesn't get rewarded with pvssy.

In recent years the media's been pumping out images of muscular guys as the masculine ideal - Jersey Shore, Twilight, any rapper etc. Women are sheep to social proof; the media promotes this as the ideal, the media pumps out images of women chasing after these guys, and since it's what other women want, it's what they too think they want.

And us dudes are slaves to the vag - who wants to go out without the pleasures, the affection and the validation that comes with pvssy? And so we hit the gym, night after night, pumping iron, conforming to the media-fuelled ideal, slaves to the pvssy.

But every hour I spend in the gym in front of a mirror exercising my vanity, I can't help but think of the opportunity cost. I could be enriching my life in other ways, reading, travelling, picking up new hobbies, expanding my knowledge base of the world, doing something I genuinely enjoy.

And I can't help but curse the media for promoting useless vain muscular lugheads as the epitome of masculinity for young guys. Remember, in the 70s the male ideal was a skinny guy with a hairy chest - Jim Morrison anyone?

3countriesPlan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hitting the gym is a way to challenge yourself and get healthier in the process. Not just for girls.

Ease

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spinaroonie said:
Playing the devil's advocate here...

"Hit the gym" is the most popular bit of advice to any guy seeking help with women. And I agree, bang for the buck it's the quickest, most cost-efficient way to get women on your d*ck.

Night after night at the gym I see the same dudes lifting massive weights, lifting weights, downing protein shakes, roids etc. After years of this most of these dudes look good. No doubt these guys are getting quality pvssy, and no doubt these guys wouldn't be at the gym otherwise. But most of these guys also work crap jobs.

Now I can't help but wonder if these guys exerted the same degree of patience and discipline towards hitting the books, getting degrees, paying taxes, and contributing something of value to society, that we can't all be benefitting more from a macro-societal perspective. But being a law-abiding, taxpaying cubicle-dweller is "boring" and. "beta" and doesn't get rewarded with pvssy.

In recent years the media's been pumping out images of muscular guys as the masculine ideal - Jersey Shore, Twilight, any rapper etc. Women are sheep to social proof; the media promotes this as the ideal, the media pumps out images of women chasing after these guys, and since it's what other women want, it's what they too think they want.

And us dudes are slaves to the vag - who wants to go out without the pleasures, the affection and the validation that comes with pvssy? And so we hit the gym, night after night, pumping iron, conforming to the media-fuelled ideal, slaves to the pvssy.

But every hour I spend in the gym in front of a mirror exercising my vanity, I can't help but think of the opportunity cost. I could be enriching my life in other ways, reading, travelling, picking up new hobbies, expanding my knowledge base of the world, doing something I genuinely enjoy.

And I can't help but curse the media for promoting useless vain muscular lugheads as the epitome of masculinity for young guys. Remember, in the 70s the male ideal was a skinny guy with a hairy chest - Jim Morrison anyone?
This is blasphemy to masculinity, you dont deserve a penis.

Working out is a primal instinct. We dont hunt and fight like we used to, but it's still in our traits.

The main reason is testostorone. Testostorone is what makes you a man. It is what attracts girls and intimidates beta males, along with every other masculine trait.

Building muscle is only a small part of going to the gym. It seems like the most logical, but the real deal that attracts all of us men is deeper. If you do 'not enjoy it' then the problem is with you. There is something rewarding and powering about strength and physique for me.

Any weak/feminine guy that gets girls, or any tank not getting girls is an exception.

Akuma

Don Juan
Reaction score
Listen to audio books while working out. Problem solved.

That's what I do.

The average audio book is about 6 to 7 hours long. If you work out everyday, you can go through a different book every week.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ease said:
This is blasphemy to masculinity, you dont deserve a penis.

Working out is a primal instinct. We dont hunt and fight like we used to, but it's still in our traits.

The main reason is testostorone. Testostorone is what makes you a man. It is what attracts girls and intimidates beta males, along with every other masculine trait.

Building muscle is only a small part of going to the gym. It seems like the most logical, but the real deal that attracts all of us men is deeper. If you do 'not enjoy it' then the problem is with you. There is something rewarding and powering about strength and physique for me.

Any weak/feminine guy that gets girls, or any tank not getting girls is an exception.
But in today's society the man you see in movies, ads etc. is hyper masculinized. Every guy looks like he has at least a 6 pick and pecs of steel. There are a lot of articles how the standard for men to have better bodies have risen in America over the past decades. Even in other countries its not this crazy.

I work out myself and agree with all your other points especially about testosterone. But it isn't the only way to get testosterone. And body building isn't the only thing that makes a person a "man" and get in touch with their deeper selves. It's just that its a common path taken.

Iceberg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spinaroonie said:
Now I can't help but wonder if these guys exerted the same degree of patience and discipline towards hitting the books, getting degrees, paying taxes, and contributing something of value to society, that we can't all be benefitting more from a macro-societal perspective. But being a law-abiding, taxpaying cubicle-dweller is "boring" and "beta" - and doesn't get rewarded with pvssy.
I know plenty of people who are good looking, work out, and still contribute to society. You make it sound like working out is some kind of 50-hour a week commitment.

And on the contrary, I could say that for every hour you spend reading, you're missing the opportunity to get exercise with a nice bike ride, job, or hike. There are 24 hours in the day. Use them how you see fit.

If you don't like working out, then don't work out. I enjoy it. The people who are committed to it enjoy it.

And it's like 60-90 minutes for maybe 3-4 days per week. Pretty insignificant compared to my 9-hour work days or 6-7 hours of sleep.

I don't see how a man can't balance out 4 hours of working out per week with reading and other activities. I work out, I play guitar (one lesson per week, every week for the past 5 years), I read and I go out to bars with friends. Going to the gym isn't some kind of cult, begging for 20 hours of service. You go in, you work out, you go home. I never caught myself saying "Man, I just don't have time for any activities...this 1 hour at the gym is KILLING me!"

Jim Morrison was a rock star. They can do whatever the F they want. Even today there are plenty of skinny rock stars on the cover of magazines. If you want to be some skinny hipster dude, then go out and rock that look. If you pull it off and you associate with those girls, then you'll get some hot little hipster chicks.

Pimply_Pimp

Don Juan
Reaction score
OP,

That doesn't make any sense. Sure, there are guys who NEED TO work out in order to get women, but you know what I see? I see people who have no muscles whatsoever dating people. I know this guy who is white (not tanned) no muscles, wears a plain t-shirts with no graphics or designs on them, and corduroy pants. He has a girlfriend.

Some men need to work out to impress women because they have nothing else going for them. But to think it is a "requirement" to do or else you won't have a girlfriend is wrong thinking.

I see the skinniest most nerdiest looking guys who can offer women no protection from the gym rats if they started a fight and they still have girlfriends.

Sure going to the gym helps, but only if you think you have nothing else to offer a woman.

I even know this guy who is about 5'4 (very short) and he has a girlfriend and even a woman can beat him up. He offers no protection whatsoever.

I think the "muscle man who can protect women" is a myth.

Mantis Toboggan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pimply_Pimp said:
OP,

That doesn't make any sense. Sure, there are guys who NEED TO work out in order to get women, but you know what I see? I see people who have no muscles whatsoever dating people. I know this guy who is white (not tanned) no muscles, wears a plain t-shirts with no graphics or designs on them, and corduroy pants. He has a girlfriend.

Some men need to work out to impress women because they have nothing else going for them. But to think it is a "requirement" to do or else you won't have a girlfriend is wrong thinking.

I see the skinniest most nerdiest looking guys who can offer women no protection from the gym rats if they started a fight and they still have girlfriends.

Sure going to the gym helps, but only if you think you have nothing else to offer a woman.

I even know this guy who is about 5'4 (very short) and he has a girlfriend and even a woman can beat him up. He offers no protection whatsoever.

I think the "muscle man who can protect women" is a myth.

It sounds like you think that having a girlfriend is some kind of accomplishment. And lame-o can go out and find some chick to settle down with. The goal is to sort through a variety of girls and find one that you really want.

Pimply_Pimp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mantis Toboggan said:
It sounds like you think that having a girlfriend is some kind of accomplishment. And lame-o can go out and find some chick to settle down with. The goal is to sort through a variety of girls and find one that you really want.

I'm not saying it is an accomplishment to have a girlfriend. I am just saying that the OP makes it seem like the gym rats get all the girls. In my personal experience in life, I have seen FAR more guys without muscles with girlfriends than I've seen guys with muscles with girls.

It's the stereotype:

"Women hate short men because they offer no protection and are wimps." Well, in my personal experience I have seen short men with women.

Mantis Toboggan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pimply_Pimp said:
I'm not saying it is an accomplishment to have a girlfriend. I am just saying that the OP makes it seem like the gym rats get all the girls. In my personal experience in life, I have seen FAR more guys without muscles with girlfriends than I've seen guys with muscles with girls.

It's the stereotype:

"Women hate short men because they offer no protection and are wimps." Well, in my personal experience I have seen short men with women.
Yeah. I've seen every type of guy with a woman.

This guy is just making excuses for himself. Being in shape helps of course...but you don't have to have bulging muscles to get girls. It's just best not to be a total lard as*.

NeedToImprove

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
to the OP

hit the gym man seriously is not only good for you body and health in general but also to your mind. i tell you this from experience. i have a bipolar disorder, i think i have for at least 4 years and nothing helps except the gym.

I feel great when i go to the gym and complete my daily workout plus the feeling of getting a well deserved relaxing shower after the workout's end makes you feel more energized and your mind seems more free of problems and tension.

i had a month off the gym (vacations) and i feel the need to go again, because if i don't go i start to think about ****ty and stupid things. do it for you not for the girls.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In recent years the media's been pumping out images of muscular guys as the masculine ideal - Jersey Shore, Twilight, any rapper etc
I've been lifting for over 25 years and I would recommend it to anyone. But:

I actually think the OP has a point here. I'm an older guy and I think the expectations on a man's physique HAS changed quite a bit since I was a young lad. I don't recall there being such an emphasis on "six packs" and such when I was younger. Not until about the time Schwarzenneger and Stallone arrived on the scene.

This is the same sort of thing that women have complained about: That the media have set unrealistic expectations regarding what sort of body they should have and how attractive they should look. This appears to be happening now with men.

What's odd is that while guys hitting the gym is more popular than ever, there are probably more obese men than ever before (in the US anyway).

I work out myself and agree with all your other points especially about testosterone. But it isn't the only way to get testosterone. And body building isn't the only thing that makes a person a "man" and get in touch with their deeper selves.
The only reason we have to work out is because of the modern conveniences and lifestyle. In the old days we would have been spending huge amounts of calories hunting and surviving. Which would have resulted in a leaner type of body than you see now in the muscle mags. So I agree that it's not lifting weights or going to the gym that makes you a man.

TheAsianLoverReturns

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a weak man post.

You don't have to live in the gym. You can build a quality physique 40 minutes a day, 5 times a week. High intensity weight training workouts. That's a couple hours a week.

The other 80 hours of the week, you can do something productive.

And for being a slave to p*ssy, that's pitiful. If I was locked up, you better believe I would still be lifting weights.

The real problem is that you dislike pain.

BlackMos17

Don Juan
Reaction score
Once you learn that working out is more mental than physical then you will enjoy it more. I dont know about anyone else but I workout to be the man I want to be, not for women. Thats just a plus.

Lexington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not an either/or proposition. You can be ripped AND successful in other areas of your life. You can take an hour away from the books etc. to improve your health and to increase your energy.

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheAsianLoverReturns said:
The real problem is that you dislike pain.
I want to borrow that quote from you.

Strelok

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let's make it short,most of us lift weights because they like it and the fact that it helps to make muscles is secondary.

God most of us are forced to work behind a desk,to be gentle and polite with complete a$$holes and b1tches that should be kicked just because it's how it works now,lifting weight and use brutal strenght while doing it,it's the only manly thing many of us can afford to do nowadays.

And no before someone play the cool guy,fvcking girls it's not the same thing and any average joe who ever holded a gun knows the difference between the instinct of reproduction and the instinct of war/strenght/violence.
We're made to hold and push and sometime it needs a barbel to do it.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The truth of the matter is that THERE IS NO ABSOLUTE TRUTH to the reasons why men work out.

Do some weak minded men go to the gym mainly to look good for the pu$$y = yes

Do some men care more about or spend more time at the gym that studying = yes (specially younger guys)

Do some men work out mainly to improve their bodies/self steam/become healthier = yes

Do some men work out mainly because that is one of their hobbies = yes

Do some men work out due to a combination of some or all of the above = yes
The point is that every man has a different reason for working out. It's not just to look good for women (although that has a lot to do with it) BUT IT SHOULD NOT BE THE MAIN REASON! Men should be working out to become stronger and healthier.

Even if you are working out to get pu$$y you will still get the benefits of becoming stronger/good health so DOES IT REALLY MATTER?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The vast majority of guys at regular commercial gyms are just training in a (usually failed) attempt to get laid more, but some guys are more serious about actually getting strong. I'm in the latter group. There's a huge difference between training to look pretty at the beach vs. training to be able to move heavy **** around. If I only cared about looks I would just do curls + bench like most of the bros at commercial gyms.