Help me pick a good GPS system

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am moving down south. Driving New England to OKlahoma. I need to buy a good GPS b/c I'm driving down there.

What type of GPS do I want to buy ? I'm a complete GPS newb, and know nothing about them. Keep in mind I will be driving 8-12 hours each day.

What features do I want ?

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Even the basic ones will give you the directions you need. The different models vary by adding bluetooth, ipod connections, different options such as traffic alerts that you can pay for etc. Make sure you at least get something that will talk to you and keep you alert for turns etc.

I have one of the top Tomtom models and only use the basic maps for directions and it works great. I've played around with the ipod connection and bluetooth but haven't really been interested in using them. I've used mine for about three years and am very pleased.

I've bought a handful of the more basic tomtoms for family members and they've worked great.

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just use my phone. It works pretty well for me for when i am driving and walking. :cool:

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i have a nuvi . its affordable and seems to be great for my family.

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i was looking at the refurbished ones on newegg.com. Seems to be a really good deal to buy refurbished.

Berlex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I bought a refurbished nuvi on ebay...works great!

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got a Garmin Nuvi 260 from Best Buy. It has helped me get around since I moved to a new city and had no clue where anything was and I was sick of fooling with Mapquest print outs.

My only suggestion would be to purchase one that gives the street names along with the turn directions such as "Turn left on Mulberry Avenue in half a mile." Some models will only give the turn directions such as "turn left in half a mile" and you won't be sure what the street is without looking at the screen.

More expensive models will allow you to pick and save routes as well.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my nuvi tells me the street name and it really does help.
it also lets me change the voice on it so when i get sick of the lady giving directions i can hear it from someone elses voice haha.

"recalculating..."

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wiesman44 said:
I am in the 'anything else' forum.

That means anything else other than seduction. Therefore, i am in the right forum. Forget I even asked.
I gave you a link to a GPS site. They know their stuff better than anyone here.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OzyBoy said:
I just use my phone. It works pretty well for me for when i am driving and walking. :cool:
Yup, I use N95. Get the N97