Having Trouble Focusing at Work… Tips?

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What’s up guys! I work as a Software Engineer, been working for about a year.

The last three days in a row, I’ve basically gotten NOTHING done at work. I stare at the screen, and I just can’t focus. I can’t even work for 5 minutes before my mind begins to wander away from work.

This isn’t good, because I’m trying to be a high performer and advance my career so I can get a higher TC/salary.

What I used to do in the past, worked pretty well for my productivity. I was slamming 600-1000 mgs of caffeine a day. Then, I would put on my Spotify playlist, or listen to some longer form music like symphonies(my background is in classical music.)

This made the day fly by, and I was able to work at a pretty good pace.

But lately, it hasn’t been working at all. I just can’t focus. It’s my job and I need the money so I’ll do it, but the last few days have been so unproductive. Not good, because the amount of work and studying I have to do to succeed at a high level is exorbitant.

It’s possible that I’m developing a tolerance. I guess I have to start doing lines of coke now:lol: /s

I suppose you could say I’m a little bit burnt out of the whole software thing. It’s very strange. I thought taking breaks every single day would help, but it doesn’t seem to help that much? I’m trying to grind hard, but I just feel exhausted. That being said, I need to keep doing what I’m doing.

Maybe I just need willpower? I’m assuming this is happening because I need to use more willpower/have more of it.

Wanted to see if you all had struggled with anything like this, and get some tips before I do my next day of work.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some wise guys will say take some adderall hahaha

Do you get enough sleep? Getting enough is critically important. If I don't, my focus and concentration is off and definitely don't feel as sharp.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some wise guys will say take some adderall hahaha

Do you get enough sleep? Getting enough is critically important. If I don't, my focus and concentration is off and definitely don't feel as sharp.
I might have to, we’ll see :lol:

I think? Maybe? I need to start wearing my Apple Watch to bed and tracking my sleep. I truly have no clue how much sleep I’m getting these days.

kavi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont get how you can not do any work as a software engineer. You can work on just one problem at a time which is gonna be some functionality or bug. It's really easy to focus as a software engineer you just gotta look at the part of code or problem your working on and i find coding or development usually a good way to stop thinking about my problems. I actually do it as a hobby and it does help me feel good.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont get how you can not do any work as a software engineer. You can work on just one problem at a time which is gonna be some functionality or bug. It's really easy to focus as a software engineer you just gotta look at the part of code or problem your working on and i find coding or development usually a good way to stop thinking about my problems. I actually do it as a hobby and it does help me feel good.
At the moment I have to read through a lot of documentation, which probably isn’t helping a ton haha

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It’s time for vacation. Take two weeks off from work and all “hustle” shvt. No side jobs. Just relax.
That sounds amazing. I have 20 hours of PTO rn but I can keep saving it all to use at once.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just realized I never got treated for that sleep apnea. That could be part of the problem tbh

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
That much caffeine is borderline on dangerous...also caffeine is a pretty crappy drug in that your body quickly becomes accustomed to it and you needed more and more to have the same effect.

It also is likely effecting the quality of your sleep at that dosage.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It’s time for vacation. Take two weeks off from work and all “hustle” shvt. No side jobs. Just relax.
Stuck at home? Dude has no car.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just realized I never got treated for that sleep apnea. That could be part of the problem tbh
If your energy level is a problem, you might want to look into adrenal fatigue, substitute the caffeine with b12, ginseng, rhodiola, etc.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That much caffeine is borderline on dangerous...also caffeine is a pretty crappy drug in that your body quickly becomes accustomed to it and you needed more and more to have the same effect.

It also is likely effecting the quality of your sleep at that dosage.
I really do think I have a tolerance. I’ve had mornings where I’ve slammed two energy drinks and feel nothing. (That’s 400 mgs)

So I just go cold Turkey? And then the tolerance goes away?

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I really do think I have a tolerance. I’ve had mornings where I’ve slammed two energy drinks and feel nothing. (That’s 400 mgs)

So I just go cold Turkey? And then the tolerance goes away?
Taper. Many people get migraines if they try to cold turkey caffeine.

M

member160292

You need to find a job that stimulates your brain, creativity. If you think your task is mundane and you are pretty knowledgeable in what you do, hop into tech sales :)

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need to find a job that stimulates your brain, creativity. If you think your task is mundane and you are pretty knowledgeable in what you do, hop into tech sales :)
You know, it could just be this current task that I’m on tbh. Kind of tedious lol

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not enough sex? If I go too long without sex, I have issues concentrating.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
25 minute tomato timer. Starts with a p… pomadoro