Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Have you ever been in this situation?

decentguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m 25 and have been in a LRT for the past 3 years. She’s my first girlfriend and is 23. Although I’ve been on a few dates with other girls before her, I was basically a virgin (as was she) who had never kissed a girl. I’m educated, decent looking, well spoken, socially comfortable and well liked and respected by people. However my self-esteem hasn’t always been high, which is why I was a late bloomer in the dating game.

About her
4/10 and is about 20 lbs overweight. She’s rather average looking. She does put effort into her appearance and is working hard at trying to lose weight. She was about 70 lbs overweight when we met and has since lost about 50 lbs. When I met her, I definitely settled on the “looks” aspect and it created problems as I would always feel sad when looking at attractive girls. I also went through a phase of wanting experience with other women, which eventually passed. I guess it was fear of commitment. I’ve seen pictures of her when she was thinner and she has cuteness potential if she continues to lose the excess weight and gets back to her original, healthy weight. But I decided to look past the physical and fell in love with her personality. She has an amazing sense of humor, is upbeat and spontaneous, is very fun and cool, has a giving and generous personality and great values (cultural background). However, her conflict management style is immature and inflexible at best. When we have a fight, I always have to manage it and end up having to bend over backwards to resolve it because she acts like a stubborn child. This leaves me with feelings of resentment and frustration. I now realize this is total AFC behaviour on my part.

I’ve sometimes felt that I’ve settled on many aspects (her looks, intellectual level, lack of sophistication). The gap is not huge, but it’s there and she senses it. However I feel that she makes up for it with other qualities, which is why these aspects aren’t such a big deal for me anymore. We’ve recently been fighting a lot and, by looking back on my behaviour, I’m not as much of a challenge as I used to be and she complains that I’m predictable and that there’s no more excitement in our relationship. She has also complained that we don’t see each other often enough (we hang out once a week).

1. For a long time, we’ve been fighting about getting engaged. She absolutely wants a timeframe and has said “if you intend on dating me for 5 years, this won’t work”. She says she loves me, wants to be with me forever, and thinks I’ll make a great father and husband. I’ve searched this board and found great advice on this topic, so I won’t comment further.

2. She sometimes playfully flirts with other men. She’s a very outgoing person and I realize that she flirts because of her low self-esteem. This has never bothered me until recently. She became friends with a guy who works at her gym, whom she admitted was attractive, took pictures of him with her cellphone, stored them in her mp3 player and computer. She also gave him lifts home because he had lost his license. I became suspicious and checked her email, without her knowing (she had given me her password a long time ago). It was ethically wrong of me to do so but my common sense was telling me otherwise. I found email exchanges between them. In one of them she joked: “p.s.: I’m holding you to that make out session”. Another e-mail had the following subject line: “to a sexy guy ;-)” and contained the pictures she had taken of him. He was apparently quitting the gym, and she indicated that she wasn’t looking forward to him leaving.

I confronted her with this evidence and she was so surprised that I read her email without her permission that she hung up on me. Here’s where it gets cringeworthy on my part... A few days later I sent her an email stating what she did was disrespectful, and that I was surprised she hadn’t even bothered explaining herself or apologizing. Meanwhile, a mutual friend told me that she apparently felt she did nothing wrong and was upset at ME for breaching her privacy. Long story short, we communicated by email and she tried turning the tables by stating that what I did was creepy and showed I was insecure. She then justified, with believable stories, every piece of evidence. She was upset that I mistrusted her, interpreted things and created stories in my head. Apparently it was all just inside jokes between them. :moon: Yeah...I know...

We had a fight a few days later about this whole situation and I basically acted like a doormat and ended up admitting that what I did was wrong and that....I love her, even when I’m upset at her. Her response, as a joke, was along the lines of “I don’t love you when you screw up”. Keep in mind that she always tries to act tough because she's quite sensitive and can't admit her wrongs or apologize. She knows this and has told me that she was raised to never apologize. However I also told her to wake the f**k up and realize she is imperfect just like every one else and needs to start working on becoming more humble instead of acting like an ass when there’s a problem. I explained to her how her “cement block” conflict management style was creating problems and that she was lucky that I’m so patient.

I know, it’s bad. I acted like a wuss and lost the edge that had her literally obsessed over me in the first year of the relationship. I don’t know if it’s dead yet, but I’ve started thinking of calling it quits because of the multitude of red flags. I don’t want to throw away a potentially good relationship that can be saved and improved, just as I don’t want to settle for less on too many aspects. Aside from the fights, we have an incredible chemistry that has only gotten better with time. The bad isn’t overweighing the good, yet. At this point, I would say it's half/half.

Should I stay and see if things improve, or should I break up with her and hope to find someone better?

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you live with her, or she with you?
Are you declared to be exlusive?

If not, start spinning plates.

If yes, start flirting and lining up women. Get ready to bail, you have different aims, and the way you've described yourself, you can do better.

decentguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
We don't live together and have been exclusive from the start. She's from a rather conservative cultural/religious background, in which sex before marriage is a huge deal. We have pretty good sexual chemistry and have never had boring or bad sex.

Last edited:

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
decentguy said:
We don't live together and have been exclusive from the start. She's from a rather conservative cultural/religious background, in which sex before marriage is a huge deal.
Bail.

You can do far better than this.

EDIT: I don't mean to be harsh, but this just doesn't sound right. Trust your gut. The way your phrasing things doesn't feel right to me - does the relationship feel right to you?

decentguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Honestly sometimes it feels like the best thing in the world, and sometimes I feel that I can do better but am afraid of putting myself out there.
I dumped her after the first year of our relationship because I wasn't physically attracted to her and she was too needy, and we got back together after 2 months as I started realizing that she was willing to work on these things. She became less needy and lost weight, but I still wish I had a pretty girlfriend who could challenge me on an intellectual level.

No worries about being harsh, I'm here for honest opinions. In the end I'll be the judge of what I decide to keep into consideration.

pua1989

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dude youre 25 spread your seed while you still can!!!!!!!!! get outta there

mothballs

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Too many compromises. Looks are not everything, but if there's multiple aspects where she's just not meeting your requirements it's seriously time to cut her loose. If she was your intellectual equal and less combative with arguments... and less demanding about the relationship, I think you would start to not care about looks so much... a woman's looks will grow on you over time if the rest of the package is awesome.

Just take a step back and look at the situation... she's not that good looking, she flirts with other guys and may eventually cheat, she won't bend at all when it comes to arguments, she says you're not exciting anymore, she's unsophisticated, not up to your intellectual expectations, and demanding marriage... what does she have? She has a good sense of humor and she's spontaneous. You say she's giving and generous, however she makes you do what she wants you to and is inflexible... this idea is conflicting.

I do agree that after 3 years you should be seeing her more than once a week... With a healthy relationship, you should be seeing her 3-4 times a week realistically... however she's so far from the perfect woman for you I would suggest not spending any time with her.

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
decentguy said:
Honestly sometimes it feels like the best thing in the world, and sometimes I feel that I can do better but am afraid of putting myself out there.
I dumped her after the first year of our relationship because I wasn't physically attracted to her and she was too needy, and we got back together after 2 months as I started realizing that she was willing to work on these things. She became less needy and lost weight, but I still wish I had a pretty girlfriend who could challenge me on an intellectual level.

No worries about being harsh, I'm here for honest opinions. In the end I'll be the judge of what I decide to keep into consideration.
This just gets worse.

Reread everything you've written. To sum up what you've said is that she's needy, lacking in confidence, overweight and not in a cute way, and not clever enough for you. And it doesn't seem like you get any loving out of her either.

What do you actually get out of her?

decentguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting comments here, I am thankful and appreciative of your replies!

When things are great between us, which is about 70 % of the time, I feel completely satisfied with her (including looks). I feel happy and fulfilled and stop noticing other girls.

When there's a problem, I start to question the relationship.

I honestly doubt she would cheat, because of her cultural and religious background and values. I also know never to say never. She has admitted that she flirts to get my attention. She's jealous of other girls who try to come on to me. The fact that we're not yet married/engaged is already a big deal for her family and culture. In her eyes, I'm a catch.

Hughman said:
What do you actually get out of her?
Happiness, companionship, excitement, love, etc. Our different personality types compliment each other. I'm a calm, rational, introverted type. She's very outgoing, playful and has a positive outlook on life. That's why the chemistry is so great. I've met some really great, smart, beautiful girls, whose personalities don't even come close to hers.

Basically, I feel that if she keeps losing weight, learns to be more considerate when we have arguments and gains some overall maturity, this relationship can be amazing.

However, I'm still young and sometimes tell myself that if I stay in this, I'll never know if there's girl out there whose personality is as good or better than hers, is prettier, smarter, more mature, committed, flexible, generous, and also happens to like me. I don't want to throw away a potentially good relationship unless I feel the ship has sunk. Right now, cracks have appeared and water is starting to seep in. I can either chose to get the hell out and not stay to see if it'll sink, or give it one last shot.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get out of this situation.

The b!tch is fat and she is giving other guys rides home and joking about making out with them in the future.

Your relationship also before and after this has degenerated into one big fight.

Also she is openly flirting with other guys.

What the fvck are you thinking remaining in this disaster?

You can either be the guy that dumps the fat b!tch, gets some self respect and finds someone better for himself or you can be the guy whose ego gets crushed badly when the fat b!tch dumps you for the stud at the gym loses all her weight and looks attractive and parades herself and her new boyfriend the gym guy around in front of you while you are all alone without a girl.

Be the guy that dumps the b!tch and leaves her with emotional and ego pain.

If you meant anything at all to her she'll get about 20lbs fatter for a time which will give you time to find someone new and then when she finally gets with the gym guy it will be a good long while before she is able to burn off her lard and even begin to think about parading herself in front of you with her new gym love interest and even when she does you'll be so far involved in your new and better relationship you honestly won't give a fvck and she'll see that and be hurt again by that so do that. :)

And remember relationships contrary to what Dr. Phil and the feminizing advice of society will tell you are supposed to be about fun and not work.

So when you are doing more work than having fun to maintain a relationship you know then thats its time to get out of your relationship and go find a new one or even better yet just pump women and dump women and live the player life.

Last edited:

decentguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
KontrollerX said:
So when you are doing more work than having fun to maintain a relationship you know then thats its time to get out of your relationship and go find a new one or even better yet just pump women and dump women and live the player life.
Wise words.

Captain

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you marry, she will put on even more weight, and she is already obese. You deserve the whole package, relationships are not about compromise. If you marry and have kids, she will get even fatter and will die young, leaving you old and bitter, and you fat little kids without a mum.

You say you feel you have "settled". Once again, relationships aren't about settling, or compromise. If you feel like this in a relationship, you shouldn't be in it. You don't owe this woman anything, it is your right to leave her at any time.

If you ever read your girlfriend's email, don't tell them, it will make you seem insecure and needy (because it is). Also, don't give her your email password.

Things will only get worse, you should leave her.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't even have to say a word, my point gets proven over and over again every time one of these kind of men post.

do not have a committed guuurlfriend when you are inexperienced

pLaYtHiNg

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
End it.

This may be an abstract thought here, so stay with me... but don't you think that even though you're nice to her and have been dating her exclusively that the way you've really been thinking about her, (she's not as pretty, not as smart, not as mature) isn't something she picks up on? Yes, she may already have those qualities with you or without you... but with you those traits are probably much more exaggerated.

She is probably outgoing in nature because she feels the need to compensate for her lack of conventional beauty and probably seeks validation in others. (A big no-no in my opinion).

She is not ever going to change (without help). You either take her as she is... or NOT. If the grass is greener on the other side... go for it. Besides she needs to hold herself in a higher regard for her to understand her worth as a human being and as a companion.

Keeping this relationship without either of you changing your mindsets is going to make you both miserable.

Good luck! :)

jayhood

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is my advice to you: GET out of your comfort zone. You keep settling for something else from what you really desire. At first she was never qualified, but because you stayed In your comfort zone and were not willing to make an effort to meet new people you settle down with her. Not only that, but you keep bending down every time when you guys have an argument. Cmmon, let's be realistic here!!! What are the odds that you are always wrong!! Ain't you tired of always being the one that apologize???..cmmon, if you can apologize sometimes then, she has to be able to apologize sometimes too.

If you marry this girl, your life will not get any happier!!!..she is already controlling you!!..stop being so understanding!!!..stop letting your emotion for her guide your action!!... Choose respect over love..I repeat, choose respect over love....if the are over 6 billion people in this planet, what are the odds she is the only one with the characteristic that you love?? Stop being an introvert and start by being more outgoing..there is more to life than what encompass your comfort zone. If it's a pretty woman that you want with great qualities, then look for it..stop accepting what life gives you and start searching and TAKE what you want.

decentguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice, keep it coming! These are things that I've always felt I needed to hear yet never had the courage to explore or had people tell me. A relationship should feel satisfying, not like something important is missing.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KontrollerX said:
The b!tch is fat
haha from the first sentence I knew that post is going to be good.

KX you nailed that post as usual.

Look man, you have a fat b1tch that fights with you and you are still thinking about getting married?! Look I know you may have some sentimental feeling towards this chick for being there for you when other chicks ignored you but times have changed and today you are a better man and settling for this unattractive b1tch is going to be like a prison sentence (YOU DON'T REALLY WANT TO BE THERE!).

I can almost guarantee you that if you marry her, she will put all the weight she lost back on and her bullsh1t plus the fighting will increase.

Go find yourself a woman that you can be proud to be by your side.

decentguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
We finally broke up. We both sensed it was coming, which probably made it easier on her. I can't tell you how relieved I felt after!! It was as if a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I do miss her companionship though (she's definitely a cool person to hang out with).

You know what the funny part of it is? As soon as people found out that I'm now single, a bunch of new opportunities have come up. I had no idea there were all sorts of girls interested in me the whole time I was in a relationship!! I have a few dates lined up and I'm feeling ready to have fun and explore. There's one girl in particular who's exactly my type. She's pretty, very smart, classy, feminine and sophisticated. I just want to take it one day at a time, no strings attached.

It's an important step in my life, which I believe should be taken before even considering long term commitment. I can't believe how naïve I was!! Oh well, live and learn. I definitely know what I want in a girl now. And NO MORE settling on looks or anything else for that matter. If I don't find her physically attractive, no matter how great her personality is, I ain't interested. I owe it to myself to go out and get what I want. And I now realize that what I can get is better than I ever thought!

Hope this inspires other guys on here who may be in a similar situation. Never forget: there are many options out there of which you are unaware unless you let yourself explore them. A whole new chapter of my life as a young man has begun.