Field Report: My First Serious Club Sarge

abcd_z

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd been to a club once before, a long time ago in Canada. I didn't do much actual sarging that time, since I was with my then-girlfriend (who wasn't really into the club scene) and her 3 friends.

Anyhow, I arrive at the club, it's freakin' cold, and the line is pretty long. At least a half-hour later, we're in. My landlord who also happened to be my wing that night (albeit one not versed in mASF doctrine) got us some tickets online, so it didn't cost us anything to get in the door.

It's been a while since I've been able to do any sarging, and I catch myself suffering from approach anxiety. Pretty bad, actually. I finally decide to open a target while I'm waiting in line, and everything goes smoothly. Nice compliance, she's qualifying herself to me, holding my hand for a few more seconds after I let go.
...of course, since she just turned 21, she's also a bit tipsy before even entering the club. Go figure. I could have gotten her number, but I live 12 miles from the club, and the logistics are against us ever meeting up again. Plus, I'm a little ashamed of how unreliable my phone game is.

I get inside, and man, it's loud. I have to yell just to communicate with my wing, all the beautiful women either had their backs to me and were surrounded by men at the bars, or were on their way from one place to another, or were on the dance floor, where I have mediocre dance abilities and poor dancefloor dominance. I should probably work to improve that, but right now I'm focusing on the verbal aspects of having game.

I also meet a friend of my wing's, who had been reading The Game. We started talking about that a bit, and I decided to use the opener "hey, looks like the party's over here", just to show him it can be done. I psyche myself out several times at the bar where everyone has their backs to me, and when I do finally get the guts to make the approach, I realize the set I opened contains one man and one large, unattractive middle-aged woman. I just couldn't bring myself to follow it up with "If I wasn't gay, you'd so be mine."

I decide to switch openers to one Tyler Durden wrote about, "I'm thinking of dyeing my hair completely blonde", and the latino two-set I open with it doesn't speak much english. Embarassing or funny, your call.

I manage to do a few more openers away from the dance floor, where the music isn't as loud (although even that was pretty damn loud to my virgin ears), and with a lone wolf I even manage to segue into an IVD I created that I'm rather proud of. Of course, halfway through the IVD (I call it Wolf's Paws), her boyfriend shows up. I befriend him briefly (Enthusiastic "Hey man, what's up?", give him a hearty handshake), then the woman wants me to show him Wolf's Paws as well. So I do, then eject. I probably should have cut the thread and moved onto something else, but I honestly felt lucky just to have gotten past the opener for once.

Oh yeah, and I saw the woman I opened in line a few times in the club. Without her coat, I could see that she had a few more pounds on her than I had thought. I talked to her a bit about guys buying her drinks, but other than that I just let her get plastered.

I talked to a waitress or server or something about somebody gets into the VIP area, and how on earth she manages to communicate in such a loud environment, because "I like striking up random conversations, and I can't do it like I'm used to in a club" (paraphrasing). She suggested buying women drinks at one point, I just laughed, then changed the topic and showed her Wolf's Paws. As I was leaving, she let her hand slide down the small of my back, but I wasn't gonna flip out over an IOI from a hired gun.

Around 1 AM I decided I wanted to get going, so I looked for my wing, who had earlier been buying drinks for some random woman. I finally find him grinding with some women on the dance floor. I know it was just an illusion, but in that moment it seemed like he had more game than me.

Goddammit.

So, there you have it. My first club sarge. A craptastic experience overall, but I am happy with the fact that I opened about 6 different sets (not counting the waiter since she was a hired gun), and I got past the opener in one of those sets. And on top of that, I've started on the path to getting good at high-pressure night game.

Rock on.

thissean

Don Juan
Reaction score
Better than nothing, yeah? Just know for next time what you did and how you can do better.

spax

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You didn't talk to anyone. I hardly call that sarging. Your buddy does have more game than you.

Randallpink83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
good start man... Get out there and approach thats all that matters...

I will say though, you should do yourself a favor and NOT do any of those routines/openers featured in a book that has been released to the mass media.... I don't think I even have to explain why this is a bad idea.

I mean something like "looks like the party is over here" seems honesty enough but then you follow up with the gay bit and you could easily get some stares "you read the book huh?"....

But yeah other then that keep going going goin man! Don't let up now that you have started. :rockon:

And yeah you will have to work on making your voice LOUD in the club without having to scream in her ear... Its weird, but very possible, you can seriously project your voice in a way that it WILL be heard.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, at least he's trying man. it's only his second time clubbing. 50% of the guys at a club just stand there on the edge of hte dancefloor holding their drink for 3 hrs. He's already ahead of them

Keep it going man. I always felt learning game was a 2 step process. first step is getting over your fear. second step is figuring when you're fvcking up by getting experience. you're doing fine. keep getting out there and trying and you'll get better. expect to crash and burn and have crappy nights like above, but reframe them in your head as something you can learn from

I also agree w/ randallpink about losing the canned openers, except I take it further and suggest once you realize you don't need a canned opener as a crutch to unparalyze yourself from approach anxiety, just go out there and wing it and say the first thing that comes into your head. It'll teach you how to be spontaneous and in the moment, rather than being inside your head trying to process scripts in real time

DonRaul

Don Juan
Reaction score
what the heck is wolf's paw we must know!

good job by the way. It gets much easier. And yeah don't try anything thats been released. It can work but it seems everyone and their mother knows the openers, even when they dont they assume the worst. I have been called out on being a wannbe PUA 3 times in the last 3 weeks. Openers have to be natural and relating to the current momment. However some of them you can use once you win the set.

abcd_z

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their comments. Except spax, who I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume he just misread the entire post, as opposed to calling him a troll or "special". Which, honestly, was my first instinct.
Personally I prefer canned openers as a consistent way to open. And as for getting blown out because they'd heard them before? 1: I was really only interested in opening at that point, and 2: That would have made for a funny story, so I win anyways.
Oh, and I could have sworn I posted Wolf's Paws on this forum before. Apparently not though, so here it is.
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1298256