Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Fed Govt declares treating all people is now illegle

Status
Not open for further replies.

StateOfMind

Don Juan
Reaction score
EDIT: Fed govt declares treating all people EQUAL is now illegle

um, i think it might be time for a revolution here. seriously.

Michigan's ban on considering race, gender in college admissions ruled illegal

By ED WHITE, Associated Press
BRETT MOUNTAIN/Bloomberg News

Proposal 2, approved by voters in 2006, forced the University of Michigan and other state public colleges to change their admissions policies.
DETROIT (AP) — A federal appeals court on today struck down Michigan's ban on considering race and gender when enrolling students at public colleges, saying it burdens minorities and violates the U.S. Constitution.

The 2-1 decision upends a sweeping law approved by voters in 2006 and had forced the University of Michigan and others to change admission policies. The court said it violates the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause.

The court focused its argument mostly on the fact that the voter-approved ban is in the Michigan Constitution, making a repeal extremely difficult.

"Proposal 2 reorders the political process in Michigan to place special burdens on minority interests," judges R. Guy Cole Jr. and Martha Craig Daughtrey said.

The ban was placed in the Michigan Constitution after getting 58 percent of the vote nearly five years ago. It affected government hiring as well as college admissions.

In 2008, a federal judge in Detroit upheld the law, saying it was race-neutral because no single race can benefit.

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You and I don't know the case law intricacies of the 14th amendment's equal protection clause, but it's important to observe the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) was the party which brought on the lawsuit against Michigan. The ACLU has a tremendous track record for fiercely and steadfastly fighting to preserve civil liberties, so it should give libertarians second pause to consider the lawsuit came from the ACLU. You don't know the intricacies of the argumentative focus, so you should remain agnostic on the ruling.

Your rhetoric is also premature. It's also a far cry to proclaim the "federal government" "declared" equality illegal, when the ruling is provisional. It was a three judge panel of the US 6th Circuit Court of Appeals and not the full panel of judges. The case is being appealed to the full panel, after which possibly to the Supreme Court.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Illegle is not a word. Did you mean "illegal"?

English.

I also see no problem with this ruling. There are far too many minority specific rules and regulations when hiring. All people should be treated the same. I see no problem with "Michigan's ban on considering race, gender in college admissions ruled illegal". That means when being admitted to college, race isn't considered. Which is a good thing. Everyone is equal in the eyes of the administration.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
I see no problem with "Michigan's ban on considering race, gender in college admissions ruled illegal". That means when being admitted to college, race isn't considered.
No, you're mixing up the double negative. It means that the voter-approved ban on affirmative action is now unconstitutional. The court is saying that they think minorities should be given preference.

Michigan and their admission policies as they relate to race have a long history of litigation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratz_v._Bollinger

Gratz threw out the affirmative action policy that the university had in place at the time, because it was too aggressive. Basically, any minority got admission preference over a non-minority, regardless of other factors.

Then the voters banned affirmative action...and now the state court has thrown out that ban. The case will likely end up with the US Supreme Court, who will have the final authority.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have no real problem with affirmative action on moral grounds. Any cursory glance at life will let you know that it's rigged slightly for white people. Easier to get jobs, loans, housing. All this may not be LEGAL but it happens. I don't see a problem with a little recourse for some of the races who do not benefit. It doesn't really affect me. Now if Asians were allowed benefits they'd be the only ones in college.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Danger said:
I have to disagree here. Racism is racism, no matter which race is hurt by it.
Not really. One hurt is far more expansive and effective. You can't tell me that affirmative action is really keeping white people poorer and worse off than blacks and hispanics. But everyday racism is hurting them more than us (I'm assuming you're white).

Where does it end?
Affirmative Action has helped start the black middle class and not really bother white people that much other than annoy us. I have no real problem with how it's practiced now. In fact it has largely been drummed out of the private sector.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Danger said:
I have to disagree here. Racism is racism, no matter which race is hurt by it.

We cannot endorse something like this simply because some people *feel* that another race (or gender, or group) is somehow getting an advantage.

Hell, if we are going to have beliefs like this, then we may as well endorse women getting the same preferential treatment, because hey, it's a man's world, right?

Where does it end? Do we force the NBA to take an equal number of whites and asians? Do we only allow a certain number of asian and arabic convenience stores and the others must be owned by whites or blacks? Do we say the NHL must now have a 50% black minimum number of players?
Exactly the best post. what people don't understand is that affirmative action IS legal racism. When you choose to accept a student due to his ethnic background you are enabling racism because you are drawing a distinct and sharp line between two applicants of different colors.

Morgan Freeman solves the race problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ&playnext=1&list=PL5C7937086D4C7683

Drdeee

Banned
Reaction score
In summer crackers could get a tan and receive special privileges!

But seriously, banking elites rather have people divided and fighting, instead of united and critically examining their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.